Our world-renowned neurologists and neurosurgeons, part of the Neurological Institute associated with Cleveland Clinic Children’s, oversee more than 10,000 patient visits each year, for an array of neurological disorders.
Pediatric specialists in each medical and surgical field collaborate to provide individualized treatment and the most comprehensive, advanced care for each child.
For your convenience, appointments may be scheduled with neurologists and neurosurgeons at Cleveland Clinic's main campus, Building S (Desk S-60) or at one of several of our outpatient clinics and family health centers.
Specialists board-certified in pediatrics, neurology and pediatric neurosurgery work in partnership with a number of other pediatric specialists to treat a wide range of nervous system diseases and disorders in children. These may include:
Coordinated care begins with our Center for Pediatric Neurology and Neurosurgery within Cleveland Clinic’s Neurological Institute. Here, neurology and neurosurgery specialists collaborate with Cleveland Clinic's Pediatric Institute & Children's to provide the most comprehensive care for all pediatric neurological disorders.
Cleveland Clinic's pediatric neurosurgery services were among the first in the country to emphasize the continuity of treating pediatric problems into adulthood, which means you and your child can continue to work with the same team of specialists over the course of your child's treatment. This multidisciplinary care allows for a very individualized approach to assessment, surgical evaluation, follow-up and ongoing care.
- Our pediatric neurology and neurosurgery programs are consistently ranked in U.S. News & World Report's "Best Children’s Hospitals."
- Our specialists use the latest technology and have been pioneers in new and advanced treatments for many of the diseases and disorders we diagnose and treat.
- More than 10,000 children visits are overseen each year by our world-renowned neurologists and neurosurgeons.
- Our neurology staff, a team of nationally and internationally respected members, are all board-certified in both pediatrics and neurology.
- Due to the variety of subspecialty programs, pediatric patients benefit from the collaboration among experts in nearly all clinical specialties.
- Our Pediatric and Adolescent Headache Program offers a three-week inpatient rehabilitation program if headaches have resulted in excessive school absence or medication overuse.
- A full-time staff of pediatric intensivists and pediatric neurologists care for children with acute stroke in a specialized pediatric intensive care unit.
- Community outreach ensures convenient access to neurological services for families in our community through the Community Pediatric Neurology Program, which makes available our collaborative neurology and neurosurgery services at Cleveland Clinic's main campus, as well as at several community hospitals and family health centers throughout northeast Ohio.
- Our Sleep Disorders Center offers a dedicated pediatric sleep laboratory for overnight sleep studies, which also accommodates parents. The Sleep Disorders Center specializes in treating common but often under recognized sleep disorders in infants, children and adolescents.
To best diagnose and manage pediatric neurological disease, our center includes dedicated disease-based clinical programs that provide excellent outcomes.
The Pediatric Neuromuscular Disease Program
The Pediatric Neuromuscular Disease Program brings together specialists who focus on the diagnosis and treatment of problems arising from impaired muscle function.
- Muscular dystrophy
- Spinal muscular atrophy
- Congenital myopathies and myasthenia gravis
- Hereditary neuropathies and other polyneuropathies
The Pediatric Movement Disorders and Spasticity Program
The Pediatric Movement Disorders and Spasticity Program brings together specialists who focus on the diagnosis and treatment of conditions that affect muscle response, such as a lack of voluntary movement or excessive, automatic, involuntary movements.
The Pediatric and Adolescent Headache Program
The Pediatric and Adolescent Headache Program brings together specialists who provide expert evaluation and treatment for children and adolescents affected by acute and chronic headaches
The Pediatric Neurometabolic and Genetic Disorders Program
The Pediatric Neurometabolic and Genetic Disorders Program brings together specialists who focus on the diagnosis and treatment of the complex genetic metabolic disorders that underlie many neurological and developmental issues.
- Complicated craniofacial abnormalities, such as craniosynostosis
- Congenital birth defects
- Central nervous system white matter
- Mental retardation
- Disturbances of mitochondrial oxidative phosphorylation and fatty acid oxidation
- Amino and organic acid metabolism disorders
- Lyposomal storage diseases
The Pediatric Cerebrovascular Disorders Program
The Pediatric Cerebrovascular Disorders Program brings together specialists who use advanced imaging and other diagnostic and therapeutic interventions to diagnose and treat all forms of infant and childhood stroke.
- All forms of infant and childhood stroke
- Central nervous system vasculitis
- Stroke associated with cardiac disease or interventions
The Pediatric Neurocardiology Program
The Pediatric Neurocardiology Program brings together specialists who care for children with a variety of congenital and acquired heart diseases.
The Neonatal and Fetal Neurology Program
The Neonatal and Fetal Neurology Program provides prenatal consultation for a range of fetal, newborn and infant neurological disorders.
- Hypoxic-ischemic encephalopathy
- Neonatal seizures
- Central nervous system malformations
- Brachial plexopathies
The Pediatric Neuro-Oncology Program
The Pediatric Neuro-Oncology Program brings together specialists who diagnose and treat brain and spinal cord cancers.
The Neurocutaneous Disorders Program
The Neurocutaneous Disorders Program provides multidisciplinary care for children with neurocutaneous disorders.
The Pediatric White Matter Disorder and Multiple Sclerosis Program
The Program brings together world-renowned specialists who collaborate on the treatment and diagnosis of genetic, metabolic and acquired forms of pediatric white matter disease.
The Cyclic Vomiting Program
The Program brings together a variety of pediatric specialists who collaborate on treating children with unexplained, repeated episodes of vomiting. It is the only program of it’s kind in northeast Ohio and one of only three in the country.
The Myelomeningocele Clinic
The Myelomeningocele Clinic brings together a variety of pediatric specialists who focus on the diagnosis, treatment and care of children with spina bifida. It is one of only a few such programs recognized by the Ohio Bureau for Children with Medical Handicaps.
The Community Pediatric Neurology Program
The Program offers an expanded service closer to home for children with neurological disorders. In addition to the collaborative neurology and neurosurgery services offered at Cleveland Clinic’s main campus, we provide consultation and ongoing care of chronic neurological conditions at several community hospitals and family health centers throughout northeast Ohio
The Pediatric Autonomic Disorders Program
The Program brings together specialists who care for children with problems associated with the regulation of unconscious body functions, such as heart rate, blood pressure, metabolic and endocrine responses. Since these functions involve multiple organ systems, the program features collaboration among several specialty areas, including neurology and cardiology.
The Pediatric Neurosurgery Program
- Neil Friedman, MB, ChB Director
- Gary Hsich, MD
- Irwin Jacobs, MD
- Sudeshna Mitra, MD
- Manikum Moodley, MD, MBChB, FCP, FRCP
- Sumit Parikh, MD
- A. David Rothner, MD
Information & Appointments
- Call toll-free: 866.588.2264
For your convenience, appointments may be scheduled with neurologists and pediatric physicians at Cleveland Clinic main campus, Building S (Desk S-60) or at one of several of our outpatient clinics and family health centers.
Cleveland Clinic Main Campus
All physicians, all services
Cleveland Clinic Avon Family Health Center
Cleveland Clinic Avon Pointe
Cleveland Clinic Children’s, Hospital for Rehabilitation Campus
Cleveland Clinic Wooster Family Health Center
Twinsburg Family Health Center