Treatment & Services
- Adult Ent/Otolaryngology
- Airway Reconstruction
- Airway Stenosis Treatment
- Clinical Trials
- Craniomaxillofacial Surgery
- Diagnostic head and neck
- Endoscopic Zenker's Diverticulum Surgery
- Facial Reconstruction
- Flexible Fiberoptic Laryngoscopy
- Flexible Fiberoptic Nasal Endoscopy
- Head and Neck Cancer Surgery
- Head And Neck Cancer Treatment
- Head and Neck Endocrine Surgery
- Head and neck reconstructive surgery
- Jaw Reconstruction
- Laser Surgery
- Lateral Skull Base Surgery
- Microvascular Reconstruction
- Microvascular Surgery
- Neck Surgery
- Parathyroid Surgery
- Reconstructive Head And Neck Surgery
- Skull Base Surgery
- Voice And Larynx Surgery
Specialty in Diseases & Conditions
- Adult Airway Reconstruction
- Aerodigestive Tract Disorders
- Benign Bone Tumors
- Benign Tumors Of The Head
- Benign Tumors Of The Neck
- Carotid Body Tumor
- Congenital Head and Neck Disease
- Eagle Syndrome
- Facial Nerve Paralysis
- Goitre And Thyroid Nodules/tumors
- Head and Neck Cancer
- Head and Neck Masses
- Head and Neck Paragangliomas
- Head and Neck Trauma
- Head And Neck Tumors
- Hypopharyngeal Cancer
- Immobile Vocal Folds
- Laryngeal Cancer
- Laryngeal Stenosis
- Laryngeal Tracheal Reconstruction
- Lip and Oral Cavity Cancer
- Malignant Head and Neck Disease
- Malignant Tumors Of The Head
- Malignant Tumors Of The Neck
- Mouth Lesions
- Nasal Cavity Cancer
- Nasopharyngeal Cancer
- Oropharyngeal Cancer
- Parathyroid Cancer
- Parathyroid Disease Description
- Parotid Masses
- Parotid Tumors
- Pediatric Head And Neck Cancer
- Pediatric Parathyroid Disorders
- Pediatric Salivary Gland Tumors
- Pediatric Thyroid Cancer
- Pediatric Thyroid Disorders
- Pediatric Thyroid Masses
- Pituitary Tumors
- Salivary Gland Diseases
- Skin Cancer
- Skull Base Cancer
- Subglottic And Tracheal Stenosis
- Subglottic Stenosis
- Swallowing Disorders
- Thyroid Cancer
- Thyroid Disease
- Thyroid Nodule
- Tracheal Stenosis
- Tracheoesophageal Fistula
- Vocal Cord Paralysis
- Zenker's Diverticulum
Is Cleveland Clinic Part of Your Insurance?
Review a list of accepted insurance plans for our Northeast Ohio locations or learn more about purchasing a contracted managed care plan.View All Plans
Education & Professional Highlights
Education & Fellowships
Graduate - Cleveland State University
Adult Learning and Development
Cleveland, OH USA
Fellowship - The Ohio State University Hospitals
Reconstructive & Microvascular Surgery
Columbus, OH USA
Residency - University of Michigan Health System
Ann Arbor, MI USA
Internship - St. Joseph Mercy Hospital
Ypsilanti, MI USA
Medical School - University of Virginia School of Medicine
Charlottesville, VA USA
Undergraduate - Johns Hopkins University
Baltimore, MD USA
- Master's in Adult Learning and Development, with an emphasis on health professions education from Cleveland State University, August 2014
- Member, Otolaryngology Residency Review Committee, ACGME, 2003-2010
- Chair, Otolaryngology Residency Review Committee, ACGME, 2008-2010
- Adjunct Professor, Department of Otolaryngology, Vanderbilt University Medical Center
- Secretary, American Head and Neck Society, 2013-present
adult airway reconstruction, aerodigestive tract disorders, airway stenosis, congenital and malignant head and neck disease, craniomaxillofacial, Facial Nerve Paralysis, facial plastic and reconstructive surgery, gland/thyroid gland tumors/chemodectomas of the head and neck, head and neck cancer, head and neck endocrine (thyroid and parathyroid) surgery, head and neck paraganglioma, head and neck reconstructive surgery, head and neck surgery, head and neck trauma, Head And Neck Tumors, larynx and tracheal reconstruction, malignant/benign tumors of the head and neck, Microvascular Reconstruction, Microvascular Surgery, pediatric and adult thyroid/parathyroid disorders, reconstructive head and neck surgery, skull base neoplasms, skull base surgery, soft tissue and bony facial reconstruction, thyroid and salivary gland masses and pediatric neck masses, tracheotomy, Vocal Cord Paralysis
Awards & Honors
- Best Doctors and America's Top Doctors, since 2001
- America's Top Doctors for Cancer, since 2005
- America's Top Surgeons, since 2008
- Distinguished Service Award of the American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, 2009
- American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery
- American College of Surgeons, Fellow
- American Head and Neck Society
- Society of University Otolaryngologists
- American Broncho-Esophagological Association
Research & Publications
(Disclaimer: This search is powered by PubMed, a service of the U.S. National Library of Medicine. PubMed is a third-party website with no affiliation with Cleveland Clinic.)
Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists may collaborate with the pharmaceutical or medical device industries to help develop medical breakthroughs or provide medical expertise or education. Cleveland Clinic strives to make scientific advances that will benefit patient care and support outside relationships that promise public benefit. In order for the discoveries of Cleveland Clinic physicians' and scientists' laboratories and investigations to benefit the public, these discoveries must be commercialized in partnership with industry. As experts in their fields, Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists are often sought after by industry to consult, provide expertise and education.
To assure professional and commercial integrity in such matters, Cleveland Clinic maintains a program that reviews these collaborations and, when appropriate, puts measures in place to minimize bias that may result from ties to industry. Cleveland Clinic publicly discloses the names of companies when (i) its physicians/scientists receive $5,000 or more per year (or, in rare cases, equity or stock options) for speaking and consulting, (ii) its physicians/scientists serve as a fiduciary, (iii) its physicians/scientists receive or have the right to receive royalties or (iv) its physicians/ scientists hold any equity interest for the physician's/scientist's role as inventor, discoverer, developer, founder or consultant.* In publicly disclosing this information, Cleveland Clinic tries to provide information as accurately as possible about its physicians' and scientists' connections with industry.
As of 3/23/2016, Dr. Burkey has reported no financial relationship with industry that is applicable to this listing. In general, patients should feel free to contact their doctor about any of the relationships and how the relationships are overseen by Cleveland Clinic. To learn more about Cleveland Clinic's policies on collaborations with industry and innovation management, go to our Integrity in Innovation page.
Public Health Service-Reportable Financial Conflicts of Interest. Cleveland Clinic scientists and physicians engage in basic, translational and clinical research activities, working to solve health problems, enhance patient care and improve quality of life for patients. Interactions with industry are essential to bringing the researchers' discoveries to the public, but can present the potential for conflicts of interest related to their research activities. Click here to view a listing of instances where Cleveland Clinic has identified a Public Health Service (PHS)-Reportable Financial Conflict of Interest and has put measures in place to ensure that, to the extent possible, the design, conduct and reporting of the research is free from bias.
* Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists subscribe to the guidance presented in the PhRMA Code on Interactions with Healthcare Professionals and the AdvaMed Code of Ethics on Interactions with Health Care Professionals. As such, gifts of substantial value are generally prohibited.
131 Patient Satisfaction Reviews
The Patient Satisfaction Rating is an average of all responses to the care provider related questions shown below from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. Patients that are treated in outpatient or hospital environments may receive different surveys, and the volume of responses will vary by question.
Responses are measured on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the best score.
The comments are submitted by patients and reflect their views and opinions. The comments are not endorsed by and do not necessarily reflect the views of Cleveland Clinic.
|Courtesy, Respect & Concern||5|
|Knows Medical History||4.9|
|Time Spent with Patient||4.9|
|Patient Rating of Doctor||4.9|
15 Patient Comments
Reviewed on Mar 1, 2017
Reviewed on Jan 1, 2017
Was a great experience.
Reviewed on Dec 5, 2016
Exceptional experience with Dr. and staff....
Reviewed on Nov 16, 2016
Dr. Burkey is a superb physician. He is always encouraging and caring. I have total trust and confidence in him.
Reviewed on Oct 31, 2016
The more I learn about my "situation" the more I appreciate the expertise of Dr.'s Burkey & _______.
Reviewed on Aug 31, 2016
put patient at ease
Reviewed on Aug 10, 2016
Dr Burkey is one of best I have ever seen.
Reviewed on Aug 3, 2016
So good it couldn't have got better in any way.
Reviewed on Jul 6, 2016
I had a good experience with my doctor.
Reviewed on Jun 20, 2016
Best of all docs I see there
Reviewed on Jun 20, 2016
Dr. Burkey and his staff are wonderful. I feel so blessed to be under the care and guidance of Dr. Burkey as the level of care has been exceptional. My husband and I are grateful for Dr. Burkey and everything he does. He is amazing.
Reviewed on Jun 13, 2016
Reviewed on May 4, 2016
I have PTSD from botched surgeries in the past and I must say Dr. Burkey eased all of my fears. I am blessed to have met him.
Reviewed on Apr 6, 2016
the Dr. always explains very clearly so I can understand hat is going on.
Reviewed on Mar 31, 2016
© 2017 The Cleveland Clinic Foundation. All Rights Reserved. No part of this work may be altered, reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted, in any form, by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, by photocopying, recording, or otherwise, without the prior written permission of the Cleveland Clinic.