Dr. Marianela “Nelita” Zytkowski, DNP, MS, BSN, NEA-BC, RN-BC, FHIMSS, is Cleveland Clinic’s associate chief nursing officer for informatics. Since 2004, Dr. Zytkowski has been a leading figure in the Office of Nursing Informatics, devising countless automated solutions for mobile computing, electronic nursing documentation, web design, interoperability of systems, data mining, wireless device solutions, business intelligence, clinical decision support and simulation.
A nationally recognized leader in nursing informatics, Dr. Zytkowski has served on several top-ranked nursing informatics committees, and as an adjunct professor at two local Universities. She has authored and published journal articles, research studies and book chapters on various nursing informatics topics and has participated as an expert source for various media articles as well as a radio interview on the topic of career pathways for executives in nursing informatics. She is a fellow for the Healthcare Information Management Systems Society (HIMSS) and is board-certified in nursing informatics and as an advanced nurse executive.
- DNP, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio, 2010
- MS in Nursing Informatics, University of Maryland, Baltimore, Maryland, 2000
- BSN, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio, 1999
- Board Certified, Nursing Informatics (BC), American Nurses Credentialing Center
- Board Certified Advanced Nurse Executive (NEA-BC), American Nurses Credentialing Center
- Certified in Inpatient Clinical Documentation, EPIC Electronic Medical Record System
Designing, developing, implementing and managing nursing and clinical information systems, Dr. Zytkowski oversees all projects related to nursing information systems and is the nursing liaison to Cleveland Clinic’s Information Technology Division (ITD). A prominent leader, she works to develop and implement new and revised information systems, facilitate programs and policies and establish a climate for excellence in nursing practice.
Dr. Zytkowski has been a nurse at Cleveland Clinic since 2000, and has a broad clinical nursing background in intensive care and pre- and post-operative nursing.
Dr. Zytkowski enjoys teaching and has served as an associate professor of nursing informatics to many undergraduate nursing students at the following institutions:
- Case Western Reserve University, Frances Payne Bolton School of Nursing, Cleveland, Ohio
- Kent State University College of Nursing, Kent, Ohio
Research, Publications & Presentations
An advocate for sharing information and best practices, Dr. Zytkowski has produced many impactful works throughout her career. This includes abstracts, book chapters and more for journals, like the Journal for the Ohio Academy of Science and other publications. She has presented on nursing informatics across the country at various industry association gatherings and conferences.
View a selection of her work.
Paschek, S., Zytkowski, N, Types of Information Systems in Healthcare Organizations. Nursing Informatics and the Foundation of Knowledge.. 2008; Ch. 14, 205-217.
Zytkowski, N., Nursing Informatics: The Key to Unlocking Contemporary Nursing Practice. AACN Clinical Issues Advanced Practice in Acute and Critical Care. 2003; Preface, 267-271.
Abbott, P., Zytkowski, N., Supporting Clinical Decision Making. Health Care Informatics: An Interdisciplinary Approach. 2001; Ch. 5, 115-146
The Effects of Implementing New Computer Systems on Nurses Using Them.Journal for the Ohio Academy of Science. 1998; Research Abstract.
The Integration of Informatics Competencies into Workforce Development and Workforce Regulations. HIMSS Publication. http://www.himss.org/files/HIMSSorg/handouts/HIMSSNIPositionStatementMonographReport.pdf 2011; Whitepaper.
“Patient Focus: The Future Of The High Fidelity In-Patient Room: Finding the Right Balance” at the Cleveland Clinic Empathy and Innovations Summit, Cleveland, Ohio; May 2013.
“Follow The Yellow Brick Road, Nurse Pathways and Career Development” at the Cleveland Clinic Dimensions in Cardiac Care Conference, Cleveland, Ohio; September 2012.
“Model for Creating a Successful and Sustainable Nursing Informatics Department: The Cleveland Clinic Story” at the Mount Sinai Medical Center Nursing Informatics Planning Retreat, New York, New York; May 2012.
“Presentation on the work of the HIMSS Nursing Informatics Community” at the Oncology Nursing Society HIT Think Tank Meeting, Pittsburg, Pennsylvania; December 2011.
“State of the Specialty Address: Nursing Informatics” at the Mosby Annual Nursing Advisory Council Conference, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; March 2011.
- Founding Member, Ohio Nursing Informatics Organization (ONIO)
- Former Board Member, Mosby/Elsevier Nursing Advisory Board
- Member, Healthcare Information Management Systems Society (HIMSS), HIMSS Nursing Informatics Task Force and Nursing Informatics Committee
- Reviewer, annual HIMSS conference applications
- Member and past Board Member, The Capital Area Roundtable on Informatics in Nursing (ANIA-CARING)
- Past Chair, Job Bank and Education Committees, CARING
- Member, Informatics Nurses from Ohio
Honors & Awards
- Cleveland Clinic Innovator Award, 2011 and 2013
- Fellow, Healthcare Information Management Systems Society, 2012
Office of Nursing Informatics
9500 Euclid Avenue / P32
Cleveland, Ohio 44195