What is blood management?
Blood management focuses on reducing blood loss, building up your own blood or both.
- Medications to make blood cells
- Recycle your own blood during surgery
- Prepare for or prevent blood loss
How does the program work?
Program nurses are available for more information or physician referrals. Once your doctor determines which method is best, we coordinate your care with the entire team. If you are already in the hospital, treatment can occur in your room.
Understanding Your Blood Needs
When a blood transfusion is needed, it falls under one of the following:
- Red cells > carry oxygen
- Platelets > stop bleeding
- Plasma > support blood volume
Choices For Blood Transfusion
- Unknown donor
- Donate your own blood
- Build up your own blood with medications
For more information, call 440.312.4156.