Community Farmers Market at Cleveland Clinic
Each June to October, Cleveland Clinic hosts its popular community Farmers Market program, sponsored by the Office for a Healthy Environment, the Wellness Institute and Community Outreach. In 2017, Cleveland Clinic will host its tenth market season, led by its flagship market at main campus and supported by markets and farm stands around the system.
Our goal is to host a vibrant community event that offers healthy, local food options in a convenient, environmentally-friendly way. Up to 35 local producers and farmers bring their goods to the market every week.
The market’s festive, community atmosphere enhanced by live music performances each week. Visitors can enjoy cooking demonstrations, prepared foods, free samples and recipes for items harvested in the peak of their season.
In addition, Cleveland Clinic provides health education for all visitors each week. Parking is free for one hour in all Cleveland Clinic garages. Parking fees will apply for parking durations over one hour at all Cleveland Clinic garages.
Benefits of Buying Local
The Benefits of Buying Local
Cleveland Clinic has embraced the local food movement through our Community Farmers Market Program and local procurement. The goal is economic opportunity for our rural and urban farming communities, and improved access to fresher, healthier foods for our patients, caregivers and visitors.
Buying locally grown food in season will benefit your family’s health, the environment and our economy.
Choose local produce for family health
- Enjoy flavor-packed produce, picked fresh for the market.
- Build relationships with the your food providers and learn about their growing practices.
- Get more of nature’s nutrients by eating produce right off the vine or tree.
- Consume fewer preservatives — they’re not needed to extend produce shelf life.
- Stock your fridge with farm-fresh options to meet your daily requirement of fruits and vegetables.
Support local farming — It’s friendlier to the environment
- Buy locally and regionally to reduce fuel consumption and emissions from transportation and to support our rural neighbors.
- Support growers who plant a variety of crops to discourage pests. They are kinder to the soil because they require fewer pesticides and chemical additives than large, single-crop farms.
- Champion “sustainable” growers, who use low-impact or organic chemicals. This practice sends fewer unwanted fertilizers and pesticides into waterways and groundwater — and into our bodies.
- Improve air and soil quality.
- Reduce the city’s carbon footprint.
Help boost Northeast Ohio’s economy
- Buy locally grown fruits and vegetables directly from farmers so they receive the entire amount, rather than 7 to 18 cents on the dollar through commercial channels.
- Extend economic benefits for local farmers by purchasing their other products: jams, jellies, soaps, lotions, beeswax candles, baked goods and more.
- Help create jobs that cannot be out-sourced.
- Support local farmers while preserving farmland.
- Buy locally to support Northeast Ohio’s transformation into a “Green City on a Blue Lake.”
Improving Access to Healthy Food
Improving Community Access to Healthy Foods
Affordable, healthy foods are important to the health of our communities. To support broad access to such food, the assistance programs available to our shoppers include:
- WIC Farmers’ Market Nutrition Program (FMNP)
This dual-purpose program benefits both WIC participants and farmers. WIC participants receive five $3 coupons to purchase authorized fresh fruits, vegetables and herbs from authorized farmers at farmers markets and farm stands, including North Union Farmers Market Association locations.
- Ohio Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT) cards
These cards are accepted at North Union Farmers Market locations. Produce Perks are available as a dollar-for-dollar matching program (up to $10) on any EBT card withdrawal spent on fruits and vegetables at North Union Farmers Market Association locations. Visit the information booth at each farmer’s market for details.
- USDA Senior Farmers Market Nutrition Program coupons
These coupons allow seniors to receive up to $50 in coupons at senior centers and nutrition centers. Coupons can be used at Cleveland Clinic Community Farmers Markets operated by the North Union Farmers Market Association. Call 216.621.8010 for participating Northeast Ohio locations.