A sleep disorder is characterized by a disturbance of normal sleep patterns. Problems may range from insufficient or unrefreshing sleep, bedtime settling problems or sleep walking to more serious conditions such as sleep apnea and narcolepsy. If not treated, sleep disorders can become serious enough to interfere with normal physical, mental and emotional functioning.
We evaluate and treat the following sleep disorders:
Center of Excellence
Our Sleep Disorders Center has been a center of excellence in clinical care for more than 20 years and is accredited by the American Academy of Sleep Medicine.
The program is led by Jyoti Krishna, MD, who is board-certified in both sleep medicine and pediatrics and has extensive experience in treating childhood sleep disorders.
Specialized Pediatric Treatment
Sleep disorders are often unrecognized in infants, children and adolescents. Our team specializes in treating the full spectrum of sleep disorders, be they common or rare in nature. Subtle symptoms may include:
- Poor school performance
Specialists in child neurology, pulmonary medicine, pediatrics, child psychology, psychiatry and ear nose and throat surgery work closely with the sleep specialist to diagnose and treat a variety of sleep-related issues.
After obtaining a thorough medical and sleep history, all children receive a physical examination to identify any medical problems. Behavioral techniques and adjustment of children's sleep schedules can be helpful in many instances.
We also provide a full spectrum of sleep testing in a state-of-the-art sleep laboratory in accordance with established international standards. We conduct overnight and daytime sleep studies in our laboratories, which also accommodate parents.
Many sleep disorders are closely associated with brain, metabolic, immunity and heart health. Attention to sleep disturbance issues often leads to an improvement in daytime behaviors, school performance and mood, positively impacting the overall health of the child and the well being of the entire family.
Sleep services are available in a variety of Cleveland Clinic locations. See the programs section for more information and a map.
Our clinics are located in several child-friendly areas at multiple Cleveland Clinic locations. Parents and patients are able and encouraged to visit the main sleep lab at Fairhill and tour the bedrooms:.
- Each room is equipped with appropriate cribs and beds (with safety guards for the special needs child).
- Attached full bathrooms offer privacy and the convenience of a shower before going directly to school the next day.
- A TV and selection of children’s videos entertain children while the child friendly technologists apply sensors for testing.
- Weekend testing is available.
- Hotel based sleep testing is available for children 12 or older at various conveniently located hotels in the greater Cleveland area. In special circumstances, patients 8 -12 years old can be tested at the Beachwood and North Olmsted testing sites.
Parents are required to stay for the duration of the child’s testing. For overnight visits, parents get a separate bed in our large comfortable hotel-like rooms at the Fairhill center. You are encouraged to bring your child’s favorite personal items like snacks, teddy bear or pillow. In special cases, we offer in-hospital sleep studies for admitted patients at the main campus of the Children's Hospital using our mobile sleep study equipment.
We perform well over 450 studies per year in otherwise normal and children with special needs. Some patient stories and a tour are available on-line.
Sleep Testing Locations
In some cases it may be necessary to observe your child's sleep in the sleep laboratory. Cleveland Clinic Sleep Disorders Center now has seven comfortable sleep-study labs for your convenience
Download a map
- For Patients of all ages
- Cleveland Clinic Sleep Disorder Center at Fairhill – just a mile away from the Cleveland Clinic's main campus.
- For Patients without special needs:
- Courtyard by Marriott, Beachwood (8 years & older)
- Courtyard by Marriott, Willoughby (12 years & older)
- Courtyard by Marriott Airport/North, North Olmsted (8 years & older)
- Hilton Garden Inn, Twinsburg (12 years & older)
- Holiday Inn, Elyria/Lorain (12 years & older)
- Sleep Disorders Center at Marymount Hospital (12 years & older)
Pediatric Sleep Center at Fairhill 11203 Stokes Blvd Cleveland, OH 44104. 216.444.2165
We also see pediatric patients at two locations on the Main Campus (A-120 and S-60), as well as the Independence Family Health Center.
For more information on sleep disorders, read our fact sheets:
View previous webchats: