The Center for Pathology Education is proud to offer educational opportunities for current and future laboratory professionals. Training and educational programs are central to the Tomsich Pathology Laboratories’ mission, and the Laboratories have a tradition of excellence in postgraduate pathology training.
The professional staff members of the Robert J. Tomsich Pathology & Laboratory Medicine Institute are committed to advancing the education of medical students, residents, fellows, and allied health students to develop the laboratory professionals of tomorrow.
The scope and volume of case work and laboratory activities provide for a comprehensive residency training experience as well as for the acquisition of subspecialty expertise through fellowship programs.
The Robert J. Tomsich Pathology and Laboratory Medicine Institute at Cleveland Clinic is pleased to announce its Sixth Annual Continuing Education Conference entitled Looking Beyond the Laboratory. This day-long CE event at the Lyndhurst Campus will showcase two exceptional keynote speakers, with a breakout series of 16 Seminars and 4 specialized case study sessions.
All presentations are PACE accredited; this is not an AMA Category I CME activity.
We invite all interested laboratorians and students to attend this educational conference and network with colleagues from across the region and country. We look forward to seeing you!
Drs. Fadi W. Abdul-Karim and Karl Theil
Conference Committee Co-Directors
Registration Fees (non-CCHS/non-ProMedica)
- $30 — Phlebotomists, Allied Health Program Students
- $50 — Technicians, Technologists, Management & others
Cleveland Clinic Lyndhurst Campus
1950 Richmond Road
Lyndhurst, OH 44124
PACE credit up to 6 hours available for attendance (no CME provided)
Online registration is now closed; however, walk-in registration is available on the day of the conference.
For questions, please contact the RT-PLMI Education Office at PLMIEducation@ccf.org.
General Conference Information
Saturday, April 18, 2015
7:30 a.m. Registration & light breakfast
8:30 a.m. Welcome, Dr. Abdul-Karim & Dr. Theil
Openings Remarks, Kandice Kottke-Marchant, MD, PhD
8:45 a.m. Keynote, Dr. Donley
9:45 a.m. Breakout Sessions & Case Studies
Noon Lunch & Keynote, J.R. Constance
1:30 p.m. Breakout Sessions & Case Studies
4 p.m. Poster Awards & Adjournment
Brian Donley, MD
Chief of Staff, Professional Staff Affairs
“Patients First – A Team Approach”
J.R. Constance, MHA
Huron Consulting Group
“Future of the Laboratory”
Program Breakout Session Topics Include:
- Patients First – A Team Approach
- Looking Beyond the LIS: Laboratories and Electronic Medical Records
- Digital Communication and Social Media for Lab
- Financial Strategies
- Coding and Reimbursement
- The Laboratory and Value-Based Patient Care
- Continuous Improvement in the Laboratory
- Coroner and CSI Perspectives
- Greening the Lab / Environmental Impact
- Current and Future Trends in Laboratory Testing
- Molecular Genetics: DNA Sequencing
- Laboratory Response to Ebola Virus
- Physicians and Caregivers: Advancing Philanthropy
- Volunteering Opportunities: Community Outreach
- Safe Patient Care
- Nursing and Lab Collaborations
- Allogen Lab – Histocompatibility
- Case Studies in: Hemostasis & Thrombosis, Medical Microbiology, Molecular Pathology / Genetic Counseling, Hematopathology: Body Fluids
Download the conference schedule
The Conference Committee encourages any RT-PLMI / ProMedica employees, students, and residents / fellows who have presented at local, state, regional, or national conferences in the last year to display their research posters at our conference. We are particularly interested in projects that involve medical laboratory scientists, students, residents / fellows, and other health science professionals. All posters will be judged and the winner will receive special recognition in the categories represented (e.g. medical technology student, employee, pathology resident).
If you are interested in displaying your poster, please complete the Poster Presentation Intent and Information Form by Monday, April 6, 2015.