While waiting for your new heart, it is important that you continue to take good care of yourself:
- Take your medications as they are prescribed, even if you are feeling better or have new symptoms. If you are hospitalized while waiting for heart transplantation, you will be encouraged to participate in the Self Medication Program. This program allows you to keep your medications at your bedside. You will be responsible for taking them on time and following specific guidelines.
- See your local cardiologist for regular visits. The frequency of these follow-up appointments will be based on your condition.
- Call your cardiologist if symptoms worsen. It may be necessary to change your medications or dosages.
- Eat a variety of low-salt, low-fat healthy foods.
- Avoid alcohol, cigarettes, or illicit drugs.
- Exercise every day. You may attend cardiac rehabilitation prior to transplant, to improve your exercise capacity and to help make you feel better.