Denise J. Minor, DNP, MSN, RN, CNS, NEA-BC, is associate chief nursing officer for surgical services. Minor is a dedicated nurse executive with more than a decade of leadership experience that includes non-profit, academic, public health, inpatient, perioperative and emergency services. Her strengths lie within the areas of process improvement, team building and cultural change as she continually strives to increase patient and employee satisfaction, financial performance and productivity.
Prior to joining Cleveland Clinic, Minor held the position of chief nursing officer for Adena Health System in Chillicothe, Ohio, where, among other accomplishments, she developed and implemented a nursing quality structure designed to promote engagement and improve outcomes, achieved a 50 percent reduction in nursing turnover, and established a new graduate registered nurse internship program. Having also served as a health commissioner, Minor is knowledgeable in healthcare regulation, and is well-versed in delivering didactic and theoretical content in the education setting as she was a tenured assistant professor at the Ohio University School of Nursing for nine years.
- DNP, The Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio, 2011
- MSN, Capital University, Columbus, Ohio, 1998
- BSN, Capital University, Columbus, Ohio, 1993 (cum laude)
- ADN, Hocking College, Nelsonville, Ohio, 1986
- Board Certified Nurse Executive Advanced (NEA-BC), American Nurses Credentialing Center
- Clinical Nurse Specialist – Family Community Certificate of Authority, Financial Management for Nurse Managers and Nurse Executives, The University of Pennsylvania Wharton Business School
- AONE Aspiring Nurse Leader Graduate, American Organization of Nurse Executives
Minor is a proponent for collaboration, making it a focal point of her leadership style. She feels collaboration between interdisciplinary groups within a healthcare organization delivers success. Upon her arrival to Cleveland Clinic, she has enhanced the relationships between nursing and operations as well as continuous improvement, proving her style effective as she has increased nursing quality, patient experience and team communication. Minor also holds an active leadership role within several areas throughout the health system. She is the chief nursing officer liaison for the enterprise surgical services affinity group, enterprise sponsor for the accelerated development nursing program, and co-chair for the enterprise surgery council staffing resource committee.
Minor’s clinical experience lies within the areas of perioperative nursing and medical/surgical nursing.
As a tenured assistant professor at Ohio University’s School of Nursing in Chillicothe, Ohio, Minor was responsible for the delivery of the didactic and theoretical content of the associate degree nursing program. She was extremely successful in the Ohio University and Berger Health System collaborative nursing outreach program that focused on employee engagement and was also awarded research and development grants.
Research, Publications & Presentations
In 2005, Minor published a piece entitled “Back to the Future” in the Journal of College Teaching and Learning. Additionally, Minor has spent much time researching the area of employee engagement and the nurse manager span of control through her doctoral studies thesis project, of which she has publicly presented the results and findings.
- Member, American Organization of Nurse Executives (AONE)
- Member, Greater Cleveland Organization of Nurse Executives (GCONE)
- Member, Ohio Nurses Association
- Member, Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society for Nurses
- Past-Secretary, Central Ohio Organization Nurse Executives
- Past-Member, AONE Professional Practice Committee
- Past-Member, Nursing Education Standards Task Force, National League for Nursing
Honors & Awards
- Fellow, Johnson & Johnson Wharton Business School, The University of Pennsylvania, 2011
- Recipient, Ohio University Regional Higher Education Faculty Research Grant, 2002
- Recipient, Ohio University Higher Education Faculty Development Grant, 2002
- Adult Degree Program "Student of the Year Award," Capital University, 1993
Throughout Minor’s tenure as chief nursing officer, Lutheran Hospital has received the following honors:
- Commitment to Excellence Award, Press Ganey, National award for most improved patient experience scores, Cleveland Clinic Lutheran Hospital, 2013
- Top Health System Score in HCAHPS – Nurse Communication, Cleveland Clinic Nursing Institute, 2012
- Anthem Blue Distinction® Designation for Value For hips, Knees and Spine, Anthem Blue Distinction Center, 2013