Musculoskeletal Biomedical Rehab Laboratory
Our research interest lies in musculoskeletal biomechanics, motor control and rehabilitation of the upper extremities, with a focus on the hand. Our research team currently focuses on carpal tunnel mechanics and hand sensorimotor function with a clinical focus on carpal tunnel syndrome. Relating to carpal tunnel mechanics, the research involves studying the material properties of the transverse carpal ligament, the structural properties of the carpal tunnel, and creating a computational model for the wrist complex. Relating to hand sensorimotor function, we examine pathokinematics and pathokinetics of the hand using state-of-the-art bioengineering methods such as motion analysis, imaging, electromyography, and robotics.
- Thumb kinematics and its implication to carpal tunnel syndrome. Funded by Orthopaedic Research and Education Foundation (OREF)
- Biomechanical properties of the transverse carpal ligament. Funded by National Institutes of Health (NIH/NIAMS)
- The effect of alternative keyboards on discomfort and typing kinematics. Funded by National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (CDC/NIOSH)
- Clinically Applied Rehabilitation Engineering. Funded by Ohio Department of Development (ODD), Third Frontier Wright Projects Program
- Zong-Ming Li, PhD, Associate Staff and Lab Director
- Tracy Mondello, Research Engineer
- Li ZM, Latash ML, Zatsiorsky VM (1998) Force sharing among fingers as a model of the redundancy problem. Experimental Brain Research 119(3): 276-286.
- Li ZM (2002) The influence of wrist position on individual finger forces during forceful grip. Journal of Hand Surgery [Am] 27(5): 886-896.
- Li ZM, Zatsiorsky VM, Latash ML, Bose NK (2002) Anatomically and experimentally based neural networks modeling force coordination in static multi-finger tasks. Neurocomputing 47(1-4): 259-275.
- Li ZM, Harkness DA, Goitz RJ (2005) Thumb strength affected by carpal tunnel syndrome. Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research 441: 320-326.
- Li ZM, Davis G, Gustafson NP, Goitz RJ (2006) A robot-assisted study of intrinsic muscle regulation on proximal interphalangeal joint stiffness by varying metacarpophalangeal joint position. Journal of Orthopaedic Research 24(3): 407-415.
- Li ZM, Nimbarte AD (2006) Peripheral median nerve block impairs precision pinch movement. Clinical Neurophysiology 117: 1941–1948.
- Li ZM (2006) Functional degrees of freedom (Point-of-View). Motor Control 10(4): 301-310.
- Li ZM, Tang J (2007) Coordination of thumb joints during opposition. Journal of Biomechanics 40(3): 502-510.
- Li ZM, Tang J, Chakan MC, Kaz R (2008) Complex, multi-dimensional thumb movements generated by individual extrinsic muscles. Journal of Orthopaedic Research 26(9): 1289-1295.
- Li ZM, Tang J, Chakan M, Kaz R (2009) Carpal tunnel expansion by palmarly directed forces to the transverse carpal ligament. Journal of Biomechanical Engineering. 131: 081011-1-6 .
What do you want to do next?
Request an Appointment
216.636.5860 call locally.