At the infusion center, we provide steroid injections, IVIG treatments, Tysabri® treatments, and various chemotherapy treatments.
The Mellen Center infusion center is located on the second floor of the Mellen Center near the elevators.
Hours of operation: 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. The last infusion appointment time is 3 p.m. (depending on the type of infusion). To make an appointment, please call the Mellen Center for Multiple Sclerosis at 216.444.8600 or toll-free at 800.223.2273.
How to prepare for your infusion appointment
- Drink plenty of water within an hour or so before your treatment time, preferably three to four glasses of water and one can of ginger ale. We find that ginger ale helps make veins more relaxed and more easily accessible.
- Wear comfortable clothing. The infusion room may be cool. Please dress accordingly. Please do not wear long sleeves that cannot be easily rolled up. We do need access to your arms to take your blood pressure and locate your veins.
- Bring your significant other, close family member, or friend for your first infusion. This will allow us to teach you both about your medicine.
- Bring snacks for yourself especially if you are arriving around mealtime.
- If you are diabetic, check your fasting sugar the morning of your infusion. Bring your glucometer to the infusion center.
- If you want to, bring something to read or something to do, just in case.
- Do not drink caffeinated beverages for at least four hours before infusion. This includes coffee, tea, or caffeinated carbonated beverages.
- Do not smoke for one hour before infusion. (Both caffeine and smoking constrict or shrink the blood vessels)
- Cell phones are prohibited in the infusion room. Please place your cell on vibrate. You may text. Laptops are allowed, and we do have Cleveland Clinic web access.
- Please do not bring very young children unless you have someone with you to watch them.
TAKE SPECIAL NOTE:
If you are being infused with a medication which is new to you, please bring a spouse, family member, or close friend with you. There will be extensive teaching involved and four ears are better than two for hearing the information. Your family and/or significant others should know what to expect also in order to help you better at home.
Our infusion center is a very social place, but we respect those who choose not to participate in the conversation. If you choose, feel free to bring in a paper or book to read or you may just take a nap during your infusion.
© Copyright 1995-2009 The Cleveland Clinic Foundation. All rights reserved.
What do you want to do next?
Contact Mellen Center
216.444.8600 call locally.