The Center for Family Medicine is the “Model Practice” for the Fairview Hospital/Cleveland Clinic Family Medicine Residency Program.
Founded in 1976, we are a fully accredited community hospital program affiliated with Case Western Reserve University. Fairview Hospital is a large, full-service facility offering the latest in sophisticated medical care in a friendly environment and is located on the west side of Cleveland, Ohio.
We have offered a medical student elective in Family Medicine for over 30 years and have served as a site for the required family medicine clerkship of Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine and The Ohio State University College of Medicine. We also offer this outstanding clerkship experience to students from other medical schools.
Description: This clerkship will give the student insight into the role of the family physician in a community hospital setting, as well as comprehensive exposure to an excellent Family Medicine Residency Program.
- Strong didactic teaching is combined with ambulatory patient care experiences to provide the student with a broad perspective on the principles and practice of Family Medicine.
- The student will attend the residency program’s clinical and behavioral science conferences along with the residents.
- In the clinical area, the student will see patients jointly with resident and faculty physicians as well as independently, under the supervision of a faculty physician preceptor.
- Practical and cost-effective approaches to common office problems will be stressed.
- Students may also participate in the care of hospitalized patients, if desired, including the initial evaluation and admission, in-hospital management and eventual discharge.
- Throughout the clerkship, the medical student will be exposed to the management of the individual’s problems in the context of the family and community.
Other Features of the Clerkship: The student will learn the value of a team approach in office practice by working closely with residents and staff physicians, a family nurse practitioner, nurses, receptionists, and a clinical counselor.
The student will have the opportunity to learn basic techniques of selected office procedures such as minor surgery, office orthopedics, tympanometry and endometrial sampling.
For additional information about the clerkship and an application, please inquire to: Kathy Gaughan at 216.476.7084, or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org.