Style of Yoga
Our gentle style of yoga taught at the Center for Integrative & Lifestyle Medicine is one that everyone can practice. It has been designed in such a way that anyone, no matter age, physical ability or experience level can participate and enjoy the many benefits that yoga offers. No previous experience is required.
Each intimate-sized class allows individualized attention and allows the student to focus on the movement, their breath and learning to quiet the mind. A chair is used as a prop to support the body. When the student is ready, floor poses are offered.
Yoga Program Manager for Cleveland Clinic, Judi Bar, E-500 RYT, (pictured at right) developed this style of yoga in learning to deal with her own back problem. While specializing in chronic pain and disease, she learned that this style not only helped to treat the patients but aided in preventing some physical challenges. She developed this style of yoga further for patients who found traditional yoga classes intimidating.
Consider Taking One of Our Community Yoga Classes
Whatever your age, physical ability or health, you can discover yoga’s powerful benefits. Our classes are an hour long. Available as Wellness Yoga levels 1 or 2, Traditional Yoga or Therapeutic Yoga.
Start using yoga in your own home
Simple infographics show you how to incorporate basic yoga techniques into your day - at work or at home.
- Refresh Your Work Day With 9 Standing Yoga Poses (Health Essentials Article)
- Download a printable copy
Try a DVD
Come As You Are: YOGA
Gentle Yoga Anyone Can Do Anywhere
(Total Running Time 55 minutes)
Come As You Are: NATURE
A Variety of Postures for Beginners and Intermediate Practitioners
(Total Running Time 60 minutes)
Developed by Judi Bar, E-RYT 500, Yoga Therapist, Reiki Master, Yoga Program Manager at the Cleveland Clinic Wellness Institute.
- Release Muscle tension, improve posture and balance, and breathe deeply and de-stress
- Gentle and user-friendly for beginners or experienced yoga practitioners
- A chair is used for standing and seated postures, no need to change clothes or get on the floor
Perfect for use at home, office or clinical setting. Order Come as You Are: YOGA or Come as You Are: NATURE from the Cleveland Clinic Wellness Store. Free shipping available for orders $40+, no special code required.
Wellness Yoga Classes in Cuyahoga and Summit Counties
Yoga can make a big difference in your life by:
- Decreasing stress
- Reducing chronic pain
- Enhancing immune response
- Lowering blood pressure
- Improving posture and body alignment
- Increasing muscle strength
- Providing a sense of joy and well-being
Types of Yoga Classes Offered
Whatever your age, physical ability or health, you can discover yoga’s powerful benefits. Classes are an hour long.
- Wellness Yoga Level – (chair) this class will incorporate postures that are practiced while seated on a chair, or standing, using the chair as a prop. The instructor will be able to guide participants of all ability levels; this is a gentle class, focusing on deep breathing and simple movement for stress management.
- Wellness Yoga Level 2 – (chair & mat) this class will incorporate postures that are practiced while seated on a chair, or standing, using the chair as a prop. The instructor will be able to guide participants of all ability levels, and may be practiced as gently or strongly as the student prefers. Level 2 classes are offered at the Brunswick Family Health Center, Marymount Hospital, Chagrin Falls Family Health Center and Euclid Hospital.
- Traditional Yoga – (mat) this class will incorporate postures that are practiced on a mat, on the floor, and may be done from standing, seated, or lying down on the abdomen or back. While the instructor will be able to guide participants of all ability levels, this is primarily an intermediate level class. Traditional Yoga classes are offered at Beachwood Family Health Center, Brunswick Family Health Center, Avon Hospital, Fairview Wellness Center and Chagrin Falls Family Health Center.
- Therapeutic Yoga – (mat or chair, if needed) this class is specifically designed for participants that feel limited in ability due to chronic illness, injury, or physically out of shape. While mostly practiced from a chair, some poses are done from a standing position. A variety of props are made available to offer additional support. This class is very gentle, and is instructed by experienced yoga therapists that specialize in offering simple movement and deep breathing to all bodies. Therapeutic Yoga classes are offered at Cleveland Clinic Lyndhurst Building, Fairview Wellness Center and Twinsburg Family Health & Surgery Center.
Course schedule is subject to change. Please view the link to purchase passes for details or ask at your next class.
Pay for individual classes or a series of 6 or 12 classes. Packages are available for the community. Employees can write email@example.com for details on employee discounts.
$12: Single pass
$60: Half-session pass (6 classes)
$100: Full-session pass (12 classes)
Schedule | Classes are 1 hour in length, unless specified
Emp = Employees Only | Open = Employees & Community Welcome
*schedule is subject to change without notice
|CCF Main Campus|
|Tuesdays||Noon||CCF Main JJ3-107||Wellness L2||Open|
|Thursdays||6:30 a.m.||CCF Main Miller Rooftop||Traditional||Open|
|Thursdays||noon||CCF Main Lerner NA1-142||Wellness L2||Emp|
|Thursdays||Noon||CCF Main JJ3-107||Trad / Well L2||Open|
|Tuesdays||5:30 p.m.||Chagrin Falls FHC, LL Conf Rm||Trad / Well L2||Open|
|Tuesdays||5:30 p.m.||Lyndhurst Campus, Yoga Rm 2nd Flr||Traditional||Open|
|Wednesdays||4 p.m.||Hillcrest Hospital, LL, Auditorium B||Traditional||Open|
|Thursdays||5:30 p.m.||Solon ATC, Common Area||Trad / Well L2||Emp|
|Fridays||7 a.m.||Beachwood FHC, Conf Room D||Traditional||Open|
|Fridays||Noon||CCAC Bldg 4, Sub-basement FC||Traditional||Emp|
|Tuesdays||5 p.m.||BOC (Independence), Auditorium||Trad / Well L2||Emp|
|Mondays||4:45 p.m.||Independence FHC, Rm B, Flr 8||Traditional||Open|
|Thursday||5:30 p.m.||Brunswick FHC, Conference Room||Trad / Well L2||Open|
|Mondays||5 p.m.||Fairview Wellness Ctr, Room 203||Trad / Well L2||Open|
|Tuesdays||5:30 p.m.||Avon FHC, Community Room 104||Trad / Well L2||Open|
|Mondays||7 p.m.||Lyndhurst Campus, Yoga Rm 2nd Flr||Chair & Mat||Open|
|Tuesdays||1 p.m.||Lyndhurst Campus, Yoga Rm 2nd Flr||Chair||Open|
|Thursday||6:30 p.m.||Lyndhurst Campus, Yoga Rm 2nd Flr||Chair & Mat||Open|
|Mondays||1 p.m.||Twinsburg FHC, LL-116||Chair||Open|
Private Therapeutic Yoga Classes
Develop a home Yoga routine tailored to your health concerns or rehabilitation needs. Available for personalized practice and therapeutic needs. $75 per hour.
School of Yoga
Cleveland Clinic School of Yoga
At Cleveland Clinic School of Yoga, modern medicine meets ancient wisdom. We believe yoga should be accessible to everyone, regardless of age, health or physical fitness. Our training will provide you with a strong basis in traditional Hatha yoga. In addition, you will learn the essence of Cleveland Clinic Wellness Yoga – that simple movements, done mindfully, can have a profound effect as a method to teach stress management, improve physical health, change behavior patterns and support making healthier choices in life. Education includes mindfulness and breathing techniques to reduce stress.
Class is held over 9 weekend sessions from September, 2017 to May, 2018. All students must be able to attend Friday 5:30 p.m. - 9:30 p.m., plus Saturday and Sunday 9 a.m. - 6 p.m.
|Week||Dates||Friday Time||Saturday & Sunday Time|
|1||September 22-24, 2017||5:30 p.m. - 9:30 p.m.||9 a.m. - 6 p.m|
|2||October 20-22, 2017||5:30 p.m. - 9:30 p.m.||9 a.m. - 6 p.m|
|3||November 17-19, 2017||5:30 p.m. - 9:30 p.m.||9 a.m. - 6 p.m|
|4||December 15-17, 2017||5:30 p.m. - 9:30 p.m.||9 a.m. - 6 p.m|
|5||January 12-14, 2018||5:30 p.m. - 9:30 p.m.||9 a.m. - 6 p.m|
|6||February 9-11, 2018||5:30 p.m. - 9:30 p.m.||9 a.m. - 6 p.m|
|7||March 9-11, 2018||5:30 p.m. - 9:30 p.m.||9 a.m. - 6 p.m|
|8||April 13-15, 2018||5:30 p.m. - 9:30 p.m.||9 a.m. - 6 p.m|
|9||May 4-6, 2018||5:30 p.m. - 9:30 p.m.||9 a.m. - 6 p.m|
A typical weekend consists of:
- 9 hours techniques, training, practice
- 2 hours teaching methodology (TM)
- 2 hours anatomy/physiology (A/P)
- 2 hours yoga philosophy, lifestyle and ethics (YPLE)
- 1.5 hours specialty - physician talks
Registration: $1,000 (goes toward tuition)
Program total: $3,900
Register by July 1, 2017: Save $400
Register by August 1, 2017: Save $200
All courses are taught at:
Cleveland Clinic Lyndhurst Campus
1950 Richmond Rd
Lyndhurst, OH 44124
Free garage parking is available.
A short break is provided for lunch. Students may bring a cooler with food or pickup food from one of the numerous restaurants and shops within driving or walking distance to the Lyndhurst Campus. The facility is located within walking distance of Legacy Village (details).