The Charles R. Drew Saturday Academy is a high school pipeline program designed to increase representation of American Indian, Black/African American, Hispanic/Latino, and Native Hawaiian/Pacific Islander physicians, research scientists, physician investigators, physician leaders, dentists, and dental specialists.
Saturday Academy, a collaborative initiative between Cleveland Clinic and Health Legacy of Cleveland, Inc., supports underrepresented minority high school students by providing participants with career information and critical skill sets to support their matriculation through higher education, medical/dental school and beyond.
Students engage with health care professionals to learn of the various aspects associated with the fields of medicine, science, and dentistry. Hands-on activities; talks, tours; a one-on-one mentoring session with a health care professional; and the implementation of a community blood drive are all part of this intensive program.
Eligibility Criteria for Application to the Charles R. Drew Saturday Academy:
- A strong interest in science
- Underrepresented Minority in Medicine (URMM) — American Indian, Black/African American, Hispanic/Latino, and Native Hawaiian/Pacific Islander
- Must be 15 years of age by January 1st
- Must be entering 10th, 11th, or 12th grade in the fall of the 2014/2015 academic year
- Cumulative GPA of 3.5 or better on a 4.0 scale
- Parent must commit to supporting student’s attendance at each session
- Submit the Application and Supporting Documents, Recommendation Letters, and Essay
- Submit Written Documentation of Good Health (this includes): Complete Certified Immunization Record showing that the student has been immunized against the common communicable diseases
- Please refer to the Application Checklist included in the application packet for details and instructions regarding all required documentation to be submitted with the application
Program Dates: Saturday, January 10, 2015 thru Saturday, March 28, 2015
Deadline to apply for the 2015 Charles R. Drew Saturday Academy is Friday, October 3, 2014 at 5:00pm.