As an initiative of the Office of Diversity and Inclusion, the Aspiring Physicians & Research Scientists Conference is a two-and-a-half day enhancement program that focuses on science innovation and world-class care. Cleveland Clinic physician and research scientist-led presentations and mentoring/coaching sessions provide students a unique opportunity to interface with our world renowned staff. An abstract poster competition provides students the opportunity to showcase their research.
Our target audience includes underrepresented minority science, math and pre-med college students. It is designed to increase representation of American Indian, Black/African American, Hispanic/Latino, and Native Hawaiian/Pacific Islander physicians, research scientists, physician investigators and physician leaders.
2014 Conference Information
The 6th Annual Aspiring Physicians and Research Scientists Conference (APRSC) is scheduled to take place on Wednesday, May 21st, Thursday, May 22nd and Friday, May 23rd, 2014 at Cleveland Clinic.
The deadline to submit applications for 2014 has expired. Please sign up for email updates regarding the 2015 conference.
The Charles R. Drew Saturday Academy is a high school pipeline program designed to increase representation of American Indian, Black/African American, Hispanic/Latino, and Native Hawaiian/Pacific Islander physicians, research scientists, physician investigators, physician leaders, dentists, and dental specialists.
Saturday Academy, a collaborative initiative between Cleveland Clinic and Health Legacy of Cleveland, Inc., supports underrepresented minority high school students by providing participants with career information and critical skill sets to support their matriculation through higher education, medical/dental school and beyond.
Students engage with health care professionals to learn of the various aspects associated with the fields of medicine, science, and dentistry. Hands-on activities; talks, tours; a one-on-one mentoring session with a health care professional; and the implementation of a community blood drive are all part of this intensive program.
Eligibility Criteria for Application to the Charles R. Drew Saturday Academy:
- A strong interest in science
- Underrepresented Minority in Medicine (URMM) — American Indian, Black/African American, Hispanic/Latino, and Native Hawaiian/Pacific Islander
- Must be 15 years of age by January 1st
- Must be entering 10th, 11th, or 12th grade in the fall of the 2014/2015 academic year
- Cumulative GPA of 3.5 or better on a 4.0 scale
- Parent must commit to supporting student’s attendance at each session
- Submit the Application and Supporting Documents, Recommendation Letters, and Essay
- Submit Written Documentation of Good Health (this includes): Complete Certified Immunization Record showing that the student has been immunized against the common communicable diseases
- Please refer to the Application Checklist included in the application packet for details and instructions regarding all required documentation to be submitted with the application
Program Dates: Saturday, January 10, 2015 thru Saturday, March 28, 2015
The deadline to submit applications for 2015 has expired. If you are a parent, student, or guidance counselor, please sign up for email updates regarding the 2016 Charles R. Drew Saturday Academy.
Clinic Solutions is a think tank session for undergraduate and graduate/professional students. It is designed to foster innovation and exchange information on challenges and opportunities in healthcare that specifically impacts Cleveland Clinic.
A key element of the one-and-a-half day session includes a case competition between students from Ohio colleges and universities. Cleveland Clinic Solutions is an opportunity for African American and Hispanic/Latino students to compete for scholarship dollars that are awarded after two rounds of judging. The session is directed by the Office of Diversity & Inclusion in collaboration with minority professional organizations.
Clinic Solutions is scheduled to take place on November 13-14, 2014.
The deadline to apply for Clinic Solutions has expired. If you are interested in competing in the next case competition, please sign up for email updates.
To learn more, contact: