Pelvic Floor Rehabilitation
Pelvic Floor Rehabilitation at Cleveland Clinic includes treatment for men and women with urinary or fecal incontinence, urgency/frequency of urination, and/or pain in the pelvic region. This includes: pain in the abdominals, buttocks, pelvic floor, tailbone, vagina, rectum, penis or testicles. The pelvic floor muscles may become weak, tight or spastic as a result of disuse, surgery or trauma. Physical Therapists at Cleveland Clinic are specially trained to rehabilitate the pelvic floor muscles. The therapist evaluates each individual and develops a plan of care.
Who is Pelvic Pain & Incontinence Rehabilitation for?
Many people, regardless of gender, experience pain or incontinence of urine or stool during their lifetime.
Some women develop:
- increased tension in pelvic floor muscles causing pain
- vaginal pain with intercourse, tampon use or annual Ob/Gyn check-ups
- incontinence of urine or feces
Many men have problems with:
- chronic genital or groin pain
- frequent urination
- burning with urination (diagnosed as chronic prostatitis)
What does Pelvic Pain & Incontinence Rehabilitation involve?
Evaluation and Non-Surgical Treatment:
- flexibility and strength assessment
- pelvic floor muscle surface EMG (or biofeedback)
- pelvic area internal and external muscle assessment and treatment
- postural exercises
- myofascial release
- relaxation techniques and diaphragmatic breathing
- development of an individualized home exercise program
How long will Pelvic Pain & Incontinence Rehabilitation take?
The plan of care is developed specifically to the individual’s needs and goals defined by the patient and evaluating therapist.
What type of recovery/outcome can I expect from Pelvic Pain & Incontinence Rehabilitation?
While therapy results will vary on each person's condition, expected outcomes from pelvic pain rehabilitation may include:
- decreased pain
- improved urination control
- improved control of bowels
What do you want to do next?
Request an Appointment
216.444.6262 call us locally.