The Center for Personalized Genetic Healthcare (CPGH) offers comprehensive preconception and prenatal genetic services to individuals who are at high risk of having a baby with a birth defect or genetic disorder. Although most babies are born healthy, between 3 to 5 percent of babies are born with some type of birth defect or learning problem.
Preconception and prenatal genetic counseling is a service that can be incorporated into your reproductive care. CPGH offers genetic counseling and, if appropriate, genetic testing.
Prior to requesting an appointment, you will need to obtain a referral from your physician. If you are a patient outside the Cleveland Clinic health system, please have your physician complete a referral form and fax to 216.445.6935. To learn more about how to prepare for your appointment, review the "Before Your Visit" tab.
The Center for Personalized Genetic Healthcare’s (CPGH) is committed to providing comprehensive clinical genetic services, education and support to patients and family members. Our team of genetic experts will work with other Cleveland Clinic primary care providers and specialists to personalized your care by incorporating your genetic information into your overall health care plan.
- Marissa Coleridge, MS, LGC
- Amy Shealy, MS, LGC
If you have a personal and/or family history of the following, you should consider making a genetic counseling appointment.
- Advanced maternal age (age 35 or older)
- First trimester/nuchal screening pre-test education/counseling
- Abnormal maternal serum screening
- Concerns about genetic disease because of ethnicity
- Abnormal ultrasound findings
- Previous child with a genetic condition, birth defect(s) and/or mental retardation
- Recurrent miscarriages
- Family/personal history of genetic condition
- Family/personal history of birth defect(s)
- Family/personal history of mental retardation
- Environmental or medication exposures during pregnancy
- Considering Preimplantation Genetic Diagnosis (PGD)
Contact your primary care provider or the Center for Personalized Genetic Healthcare (CPGH) to discuss whether a genetic counseling evaluation is appropriate for you.
At Your Visit
We will provide personalized expert genetic counseling and education to you and your family. During your visit, you will see a genetics expert (genetic counselor and/or clinical geneticist) for a genetics evaluation. You may also be scheduled with other Cleveland Clinic providers during your visit depending on your medical needs and physician availability.
Our comprehensive method for genetic counseling involves:
- Diagnosis of a genetic condition through review of family and medical history, examination by a clinical geneticist, and if appropriate, genetic testing.
- Review of any abnormal test results (e.g. ultrasound or blood testing), if applicable
- Education about your specific diagnosis and any associated health risks if known
- Health planning for the future that details suggestions for appropriate medical management
- Discussion of health risks to family members
- Recommendations regarding genetic testing for at-risk family members and coordination of testing, if desired
Following Your Visit
After your visit, it may take anywhere from a few days up to two weeks for your clinical appointment notes to reach the healthcare providers that you requested to receive a copy. We are also glad to communicate with your healthcare providers about your case as needed. You are always welcome to follow up with us with questions regarding your visit.
Prior to requesting an appointment, you will need to obtain a physician referral. If you are a patient outside the Cleveland Clinic health system, please have your physician complete a referral form and fax to 216.445.6935.
Collect Your Medical Records
If you are a patient outside the Cleveland Clinic health system, you should send an authorization for the release of medical records form to each external facility. You may arrange to have medical records faxed (30 pages or less) to our department at 216.445.6935 or sent postal mail.
Release of medical information form
Center for Personalized Genetic Healthcare
Attn: Preconception and Prenatal Genetics
9500 Euclid Ave. NE50
Cleveland, OH 44195
Collect Your Family Health History
To make the most out of your visit, you should gather family health history information prior to your appointment. It may be helpful for you to talk with your relatives about genetic or developmental conditions running in your family. Specifically, you will want to discuss the following:
- Who in the family has had physical problems since birth, birth defects, mental retardation, learning problems, infertility, inherited conditions or genetic disorders?
- Did any family members die at a young age from common medical problems?
- Who in the family had difficulties with conceiving or miscarriages?
- Had anyone in the family had genetic testing?
Genetic counseling and testing are billed as two separate services.
Many insurance companies will cover 96040, which is the CPT code for genetic counseling. However, we do ask that you check with your insurance company to verify that your plan does cover the cost. If your plan does not cover 96040, please contact us at 216.636.1768 and we can discuss the proper payment arrangements with you.
If genetic testing is indicated, your genetic counselor will discuss costs and insurance coverage during your appointment.
Some patients are concern that their genetic information may be used against them. To learn about your patient rights and protections in place to prevent genetic discrimination, read our article on GINA.
Genetic discrimination fact sheet (GINA)
To learn more about billing options and financial assistance, review our billing and insurance information.
The Center for Personalized Genetic Healthcare (CPGH) is expanding rapidly. Patients can now make appointments to be evaluated at main campus clinics and select regional hospitals.
To schedule an appointment, please call 216.636.1768 or 800. 998.4785.
Center for Personalized Genetic Healthcare
Desk T10 (1st Floor)
18101 Lorain Avenue
Cleveland, OH 44111
6780 Mayfield Road
Mayfield Heights, OH 44124
Beachwood Family Health Center
2nd floor of the South Building, Suite 220S
26900 Cedar Rd.
Beachwood, OH 44122