What is TMP sulfa?
TMP sulfa (trimethoprim and sulfamethoxazole, double strength) is an antibiotic used to treat infections, such as digestive problems (diarrhea) and urinary tract infections. TMP sulfa contains two antibiotics, which work better together than one dose alone.
The trade names for TMP sulfa include Bactrim or Septra.
What is the most effective way to take TMP sulfa?
This antibiotic must be taken exactly as prescribed with a full glass of water (eight ounces). If you miss a dose, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and return to your regular schedule. Never take two doses at once. In addition, make sure you are drinking enough liquids throughout the day.
What are the side effects of TMP sulfa?
TMP sulfa may cause any of the following side effects. These may be avoided by drinking plenty of water daily. If the symptoms of your infection do not improve within a few days of beginning TMP sulfa, contact your physician.
- Anemia (blood problems resulting from a reduction in the number of red blood cells)
—Anemia is often a result of taking TMP sulfa over a long period of time.
- Sensitivity to sunlight—Avoid the sun and sunlamps (tanning beds), and wear a sunblock with an SPF of at least 15. Sensitivity to sunlight may continue for many months after you stop taking TMP sulfa.
- Dizziness—Make sure you do not have this side effect before driving, using machinery or attempting any job that requires alertness.
- Loss of appetite
- Nausea with or without vomiting
- Skin rash caused by itching or increased sensitivity to sunlight
Contact your physician as soon as possible if you experience skin reactions, or if any of the symptoms above become increasingly bothersome.
For More Information
If you have any questions or concerns, please call us at 216.444.8282.
We will be happy to answer your questions.