Why is this drug prescribed?
- Septra SS (sulfamethoxazole and trimethoprim, double strength) is an antibiotic used to prevent infections, especially pulmonary infections such as pneumonia.
- Transplant patients may develop infections due to the large amount of immunosuppressive drugs they must take.
What should I do if I forget a dose?
- If you miss a dose, take it as soon as possible.
- If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and return to your regular schedule.
- Never take two doses at once.
What are the side effects of this drug?
Septra SS may cause any of the following side effects. These may be avoided by drinking plenty of water daily. If the symptoms of your infection do not improve within a few days of beginning Septra SS, contact your physician.
- Anemia (blood problems resulting from a reduction in the number of red blood cells). Anemia is often a result of taking Septra SS over a long period of time.
- Sensitivity to sunlight. Avoid the sun and sunlamps (tanning beds), and wear a sunblock with an SPF of at least 15. Sensitivity to sunlight may continue for many months after you stop taking Septra SS.
- Dizziness. Make sure that you do not have this side effect before driving, using machinery, or attempting any job that requires alertness.
- Loss of appetite
- Nausea with or without vomiting
- Skin rash caused by itching or increased sensitivity to sunlight
Contact your physician as soon as possible if you experience skin reactions, or if any of the symptoms above become increasingly bothersome.
What storage conditions are necessary for this drug?
- Store this medication at room temperature. Do not store this medication in direct heat or light
- Do Not store this medication in the bathroom, near the kitchen sink or in other damp places. Heat or moisture may cause it to breakdown.
- Keep this medication in the container it came in, tightly sealed.
- Do not use this medication after the expiration date on the bottle.
- Keep this and other medications out of the reach of children.
For More Information
If you have any questions or concerns, please call us at 216.444.6996. We will be happy to answer your questions.