Common brand names:Pepcid
Why is this drug prescribed?
- Famotidine is used to treat and prevent the recurrence of ulcers and other conditions where the stomach produces too much acid.
- It works by decreasing the amount of acid produced in the stomach.
How and when should famotidine be used?
- Famotidine comes in tablets and liquid form.
- Shake the liquid form before each use.
- You may obtain a specially marked measuring spoon from your pharmacist to measure an accurate dose of the liquid.
- Famotidine is usually taken once a day at bedtime or twice a day in the morning and at bedtime. You may take it with food.
- If your doctor instructs you to take antacids, you may take them at the same time as famotidine.
- Your prescription label tells you how much to take at each dose — follow these instructions carefully and ask your doctor or pharmacist to explain any part that you do not understand. Do not stop taking the medication without consulting your doctor.
- Ask your pharmacist any questions you have about refilling your prescription.
What special instructions should I follow while using this drug?
- Keep all appointments with your doctor so your response to the drug can be monitored.
- Do not smoke; cigarette smoking can decrease the effectiveness of famotidine. Ask your doctor for advice on how to quit smoking.
- Carbonated beverages may cause further stomach irritation; you may want to avoid carbonated beverages while taking this medication.
What are the common side effects? What can I do about them?
While side effects are not common when famotidine is taken properly, they can occur. Some side effects may include:
- Diarrhea or constipation
Call your doctor if these symptoms are persistent or severe.
When should I call my doctor?
Call your doctor right away if you:
- Have a fever of 101°F (38.3°C) or higher.
- Develop a skin rash or skin irritation.
- Have any other symptoms that cause concern.
What should I do if I forget to take a dose?
- Take the missed dose as soon as you remember.
- Take any remaining doses for that day at evenly spaced intervals, but do not take a double dose.
- If you miss two or more doses of famotidine in a row, contact your doctor for advice.
What storage conditions are necessary for this drug?
- Keep famotidine in the container it came in, tightly closed.
- Store tablets at room temperature, away from direct sunlight.
- Store liquid famotidine in the refrigerator, but do not allow it to freeze. Discard liquid that is older than 30 days.
- Keep famotidine out of the reach of children.
For More Information
If you have any questions or concerns, please call us at 216.444.6996. We will be happy to answer your questions.