Research & Publications †
( † Disclaimer: This search is powered by PubMed, a service of the U.S. National Library of Medicine. PubMed is a third-party website with no affiliation with Cleveland Clinic.)
- Board Certified in Neurology by the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology (ABPN)
- Staff, Cleveland Clinic Neurological Institute, Center for Headache and Pain
- Staff, Cleveland Clinic Neurological Institute, Center for Regional Neurology
- Stroke Medical Director, Cleveland Clinic - Medina Hospital
Publications and Current Research/Projects:
- Baron EP. Comprehensive Review of Medicinal Marijuana, Cannabinoids, and Therapeutic Implications in Medicine and Headache; What a Long Strange Trip It’s Been… Headache: The Journal of Head and Face Pain. In Press.
- Baron EP. Headache, Cerebral Aneurysms, and the Use of Triptans and Ergot Derivatives. Headache: The Journal of Head and Face Pain. In Press.
- Thebo U, Hui F, Baron EP, Kriegler JK. Debilitating Headaches and a Coexisting Ophthalmic Aneurysm: An Indication for Treatment? In Press.
- Baron EP, Markowitz S, Lettich A, Hastriter E, Lovell B, Kalidas K, Dodick DW, Schwedt TJ. Triptan Education and Improving Knowledge for Optimal Migraine Treatment: An Observational Study. Headache: The Journal of Head and Face Pain. 2014; Apr;54(4):686-97.
- Wells RE, Markowitz S, Baron EP, Hentz JG, Mathew PG, Kalidas K, Halker R, David DW, Schwedt TJ. Identifying the Factors Underlying Discontinuation of Triptans. Headache: The Journal of Head and Face Pain. 2014; Feb;54(2):278-89.
- Baron EP, Markowitz S, Lettich A, Hastriter E, Kalidas K, Lovell B, Dodick DW, Schwedt TJ. What Do Patients Know About Their Migraine Medications? An Analysis of Patient Knowledge About Triptans in Patients Using Triptans. Cephalalgia. 2013; June;33(8 Supplement):115.
Media coverage reports of presentation/study:
- Wells RE, Markowitz S, Baron EP, Hentz JG, Mathew PG, Kalidas K, Halker R, David DW, Schwedt TJ. Identifying the Factors Underlying Discontinuation of Triptans. Cephalalgia. 2013; June;33(8 Supplement):19.
- Baron EP, Moskowitz SI, Tepper SJ, Gupta R, Novak E, Hussain MS, Stillman MJ. Headache Following Intracranial Neuroendovascular Procedures. Headache: The Journal of Head and Face Pain. 2012; May;52(5):739-48. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22211779
- Baron EP, Cherian N, Tepper SJ. Role of Greater Occipital Nerve Blocks and Trigger Point Injections for Patients with Dizziness and Headache. The Neurologist. 2011; Nov;17(6):312-7. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22045281
- Baron EP, Tepper SJ. Orally-Inhaled Dihydroergotamine: Reviving and Improving a Classic. Future Neurology. 2011; May;6(3):327-333. http://www.futuremedicine.com/doi/abs/10.2217/fnl.11.24?journalCode=fnl
Medscape Neurology News Article Review:
American Academy of Neurology (AAN) Book Review:
Media coverage report of presentation/study:
- Baron EP, Tepper SJ, Mays MA, Cherian N. Acute Treatment of Basilar-Type Migraine with Greater Occipital Nerve Blockade. Headache: The Journal of Head and Face Pain. 2010; Jun;50(6):1057-9. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20487035
- Baron EP. Proposed LOCAM-LT Mnemonic for Mastering the Examination of Mental Status and Cognitive Function. Journal of the American Osteopathic Association. 2010; Sept;10(9):553-555. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20876841
- Baron EP, Tepper SJ. Revisiting the Role of Ergots in the Treatment of Migraine and Headache. Headache: The Journal of Head and Face Pain. 2010; Sept;50:1353-1361. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20353432
- Baron EP, Tepper SJ. Efficacy of Biofeedback in the Treatment of Migraine and Tension Type Headaches [Article Review]. Journal Watch Neurology. 2010; 12(5):39. http://neurology.jwatch.org/cgi/content/citation/2010/223/2
- Baron EP, Rothner AD. New Daily Persistent Headache in Children and Adolescents. Current Neurology and Neuroscience Reports. 2010; March;10(2):127-132. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20425237
- Baron EP, Moskowitz S, Tepper SJ. Headache Following Intracranial Endovascular Procedures [Abstract]. Headache: The Journal of Head and Face Pain. 2010; Aug;50(S1):7-8. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/hed.2010.50.issue-s1/issuetoc
- Baron EP. Diagnosis and Treatment of Headache. [Web-based “Clinical Decision and Case-Based Lesson” for AMA PRA Category 1 CME Credit for Cleveland Clinic Center for Continuing Education]. Available 6/19/2009 - 6/19/2011 at: http://www.clevelandclinicmeded.com/online/casebased/decisionmaking/diagnosis-treatment-for-headache/
- Baron EP, Fox RJ. A Case of Atypical Multi-focal CNS Lesions: When to Test and When to Treat? [Abstract]. Journal of Neuroimaging. 2009; 19(1):109. http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/121622142/abstract
- Baron EP, Cherian N. Role of Greater Occipital Nerve Trigger Point Injections for Patients with Dizziness and Headache [Abstract]. Neurology. 2008; 70(11 Suppl 1):A299. http://www.abstracts2view.com/aan2008chicago/view.php?nu=AAN08L_P05.197
- Cherian N, Baron EP. Novel Role of Greater Occipital Nerve Trigger Point Injections in a Sub-Set of Tinnitus Patients [Abstract]. Neurology. 2008; 70(11 Suppl 1):A262. http://www.abstracts2view.com/aan2008chicago/view.php?nu=AAN08L_P05.037
- Baron EP. A Case-Based Discussion and Literature Review of Night Eating Syndrome (NES). Manuscript in revision.
Headache and Facial Pain Fellowship 7/2009-6/2010
Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists may collaborate with the pharmaceutical or medical device industries to help develop medical breakthroughs or provide medical education about recent trends. The collaborations are reviewed as part of the Cleveland
Clinic's procedures. The Cleveland Clinic publicly discloses payments to its physicians and scientists for speaking and consulting of $5,000 or more per year, and any equity, royalties, and fiduciary relationships in companies with which they collaborate. The Cleveland Clinic requires its doctors to approve the public disclosures of their scientific collaborations with industry. As of 8/31/2014 the review process regarding Dr. Baron's disclosure had not been completed. Patients should feel free to contact their doctor about any of the relationships and how the relationships are overseen by the Cleveland Clinic. To learn more about the Cleveland Clinic's policies on collaborations with industry and innovation management, go to our Integrity in Innovation page.
Public Health Service-Reportable Financial Conflicts of Interest. Cleveland Clinic scientists and physicians engage in basic, translational and clinical research activities, working to solve health problems, enhance patient care and improve quality of life for patients. Interactions with industry are essential to bringing the researchers’ discoveries to the public, but can present the potential for conflicts of interest related to their research activities. Click here to view a listing of instances where Cleveland Clinic has identified a Public Health Service (PHS)-Reportable Financial Conflict of Interest and has put measures in place to ensure that, to the extent possible, the design, conduct and reporting of the research is free from bias.