Treatment & Services
- Department of Pediatric Plastic Surgery
- Plastic Surgery
Specialty in Diseases & Conditions
- Adult and Pediatric Facial Trauma
- Aging Body
- Aging or Painful Skin
- Benign Maxillofacial Tumors
- Benign Skull Base Tumors
- Benign Tumors Of The Head
- Benign Tumors Of The Neck
- Birth Defects
- Cleft Lip
- Cleft Palate
- Craniofacial Disorders
- Dentofacial Deformities
- Eagle Syndrome
- Excess Skin After Weight Loss
- Excessive Daytime Sleepiness
- Eyelid Tumors
- Facial Aging
- Facial Nerve Disorders
- Facial Nerve Paralysis
- Head and Neck Masses
- Head and Neck Trauma
- Head And Neck Tumors
- Health and Wellness
- Malignant Tumors Of The Head
- Mastectomy Defects
- Maxillofacial Deformities
- Moebius Syndrome
- Nasal Cavity Cancer
- Nasal Congestion
- Nasal Fractures
- Nasal Obstruction
- Nasal Polyps
- Nasal Valve Collapse
- Nasal-Sinus Disease
- Nose Deformity
- Nose Or Nasal Problems
- Parotid Gland Problems
- Parotid Tumors
- Pediatric Birthmark
- Pediatric Craniofacial Disorders
- Pediatric Head And Neck Cancer
- Salivary Gland Diseases
- Skull Base Lesions
- Vascular Malformations
Is Cleveland Clinic Part of Your Insurance?
Review a list of accepted insurance plans for our Northeast Ohio locations or learn more about purchasing a contracted managed care plan.View All Plans
Education & Professional Highlights
Education & Fellowships
Fellowship - Primary Children's Medical Center
Craniomaxillofacial/Ped Pla Su
Salt Lake City, UT USA
Residency - Cleveland Clinic
Plastic & Reconstructive Surge
Cleveland, OH USA
Residency - Cleveland Clinic
Cleveland, OH USA
Internship - Cleveland Clinic
Cleveland, OH USA
Internship - Riverside Methodist Hospital
Flexible Surgical Internship
Columbus, OH USA
Medical School - Northeastern Ohio Universities College of Medicine
Rootstown, OH USA
Undergraduate - Ohio University
Athens, OH USA
Graduate - Case Western Reserve University
Cleveland, OH USA
- Craniomaxillofacial and Pediatric Plastic Surgery, Intermountain Craniofacial Center, Primary Children's Medical Center, Salt Lake City, UT, 1991-1992.ResidencyPlastic and Reconstructive Surgery, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, OH, 1989-1991.FellowshipGeorge and Grace Crile Traveling Surgical Fellowship, Maxillofacial Reconstruction, University of Basel Kantonsspital, Basel, Switzerland, March 1991 - May 1991.ResidencyOtolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, 1985-1989.PreceptorshipFacial Plastic Surgery, New Orleans Facial Plastic Surgical Center, New Orleans, LA Calvin Johnson, MD - Director, February - May 1988.InternshipGeneral Surgery, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, 1984-1985.Flexible Surgical InternshipRiverside Methodist Hospital,1983-84.
- Surgical Team – First American Face Transplant – Total Lefort III maxillary zygomatic microvascular composite tissue allograft reconstruction
- First Robotic Endoscopic Nerve Interpositional Graft: Pudendal Nerve – Sural Nerve Graft
- First Endoscopic Repair of Skull Base CSF leaks
- Fulcrum Spreader Graft for Internal Valve Nasal Collapse
- Bone Anchored Facial Suspension for Facial Nerve Paralysis
- Maxillary approach for neuromodulation of Sphenopalatine ganglion and Cluster/Migraine Headache
- Plastic Surgery
breast surgery, craniomaxillofacial, facial cosmetic, pediatric plastic and reconstructive surgery, plastic surgery, rhinoplasty
Awards & Honors
- <strong>George and Grace Crile Traveling Surgical Fellowship Award</strong>, 1989
- <strong>Hall of Fame – Elyria High School</strong>, 2010
- <strong>Innovation Award</strong>, Cleveland Clinic 2008, 2010, 2011
- <strong>American Society of Maxillofacial Surgeons – Best Clinical ASPS Journal Publication 2011</strong> “First U.S. Near-Total Human Face Transplantation: A Paradigm Shift for Massive Complex Injuries” – 2<sup>nd</sup> Co-author
- <strong>Best Design Poster</strong>, 1<sup>st</sup> Place, Weatherhead School of Management, Case Western Reserve University, 2007
- <strong>Kauffman Fellow Scholarship</strong>, Ewing Marion Kauffman Foundation for Entrepreneurial Studies, 2007
- <strong>Golden Scalpel Award</strong>, Plastic Surgery Teaching Award, Cleveland Clinic 1996
- <strong>Ohio Valley Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Society Resident Research Award</strong>, 1990
- <strong>A-O Synthes Maxillofacial International Scholarship</strong>, 1990
- <strong>American College of Surgeons (Ohio Chapter), Surgical Research Award</strong> - Honorable Mention, 1990
- <strong>Northeastern Ohio Otolaryngology and Maxillofacial Research Award</strong> - 1st place, 1989
- <strong>American Rhinologic Society Resident Essay Award</strong> - Honorable Mention, 1989
- <strong>Student Leadership Award</strong>, Ohio State Medical Association, 1983
- <strong>Outstanding Young Men in USA</strong>, Member National Jaycees, 1982
- <strong>Melvin E. Jones Research Foundation Memorial Scholarship</strong>, 1981
- <strong>Honor's College</strong>, Ohio University
- <strong>National Honors Society</strong>, 1971<strong>Best Doctors</strong>, Best Doctors, Inc. 2001 - present
- <strong>Best Doctors</strong>, Plastic Surgery, Northeastern Ohio Live Magazine, 2001-present
- <strong>Who’s Who in Science and Engineering</strong>, Marquis Who’s Who Publications
- <strong>Who’s Who in Healthcare</strong>, Marquis Who’s Who Publications
- <strong>Who’s Who in America</strong>, Marquis Who’s Who Publications
- <strong>Guide to America’s Top Plastic Surgeons</strong>, Consumers’ Research Council of America
- <strong>America’s Best Doctors</strong>, Castle Connelly
Innovations & Patents
- US Patent 6,423,019 Cranial Remodeling Headpiece
- US Patent 6,460,207 Anti-SIDS Pediatric Headrest
- US Patent 6,517,542 Modular Bone Anchoring System
- US Patent 6,594,839 Surgical Headrest
- US Patent 6,800,087 Blancett System for Temperature Regulation of Patient Patent Applications:US Patent App #20100143413 Apparatus and Method for Treating Neuromuscular Defect
- US Patent App #20100185258 Surgical Guide & Method for Guiding therapy Delivery Device into the Pterygopalatine Fossa
- US Patent App Iontophoretic Negative Pressure Wound Healing Device Surgical Innovation:Craniofacial Surgeon/Team Member-America's First Face Transplant
- Robotic Endoscopic Repair of Pudendal Nerves during Radical Prostatectomy
- Transnasal Endoscopic Repair of Sphenoid Sinus CS7 Leaks
- Fulcrum Spreader Graft for Nasal Valve Repair
- Trans Buccal Gingival Approach to Spenopalatine Ganglia
- Fellow, American College of Surgeons.
- Fellow, American Academy of Otolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery.
- Fellow, American Academy of Pediatrics.
- Fellow, (Honorary) American Society of Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeons
- Member, American Society of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeons.
- Member, American Society of Maxillofacial Surgeons.
- Member, American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery.
- Member, American Association of Plastic Surgeons.
- Member, International Society of Craniofacial Surgery.
- Member, Ohio Valley Society for Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeons.
- Member, American Cleft Palate - Craniofacial Association.
- Member, Northeast Ohio Medical Society (executive committee).
- Member, Professional Fellow, Weatherhead School of Business, Case Western Reserve
- Member, Tissue Engineering Society.
- Member, Robin Anderson Society (Plastic Surgical Alumni), Cleveland Clinic Foundation.
- Member, A-O Maxillofacial Fellowship Alumni.
- Member, Bureau for Children with Medical Handicaps (surgical representative –past)
Research & Publications
(Disclaimer: This search is powered by PubMed, a service of the U.S. National Library of Medicine. PubMed is a third-party website with no affiliation with Cleveland Clinic.)
Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists may collaborate with the pharmaceutical or medical device industries to help develop medical breakthroughs or provide medical expertise or education. Cleveland Clinic strives to make scientific advances that will benefit patient care and support outside relationships that promise public benefit. In order for the discoveries of Cleveland Clinic physicians' and scientists' laboratories and investigations to benefit the public, these discoveries must be commercialized in partnership with industry. As experts in their fields, Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists are often sought after by industry to consult, provide expertise and education.
To assure professional and commercial integrity in such matters, Cleveland Clinic maintains a program that reviews these collaborations and, when appropriate, puts measures in place to minimize bias that may result from ties to industry. Cleveland Clinic publicly discloses the names of companies when (i) its physicians/scientists receive $5,000 or more per year (or, in rare cases, equity or stock options) for speaking and consulting, (ii) its physicians/scientists serve as a fiduciary, (iii) its physicians/scientists receive or have the right to receive royalties or (iv) its physicians/ scientists hold any equity interest for the physician's/scientist's role as inventor, discoverer, developer, founder or consultant.* In publicly disclosing this information, Cleveland Clinic tries to provide information as accurately as possible about its physicians' and scientists' connections with industry.
As of 10/30/2013, Dr. Papay has reported the financial relationships with the companies listed below. In general, patients should feel free to contact their doctor about any of the relationships and how the relationships are overseen by Cleveland Clinic. To learn more about Cleveland Clinic's policies on collaborations with industry and innovation management, go to our Integrity in Innovation page.
Royalty Payments. Dr. Papay receives or has the right to receive royalty payments for inventions or discoveries commercialized through the companies shown below:
- Autonomic Technologies, Inc.
Public Health Service-Reportable Financial Conflicts of Interest. Cleveland Clinic scientists and physicians engage in basic, translational and clinical research activities, working to solve health problems, enhance patient care and improve quality of life for patients. Interactions with industry are essential to bringing the researchers' discoveries to the public, but can present the potential for conflicts of interest related to their research activities. Click here to view a listing of instances where Cleveland Clinic has identified a Public Health Service (PHS)-Reportable Financial Conflict of Interest and has put measures in place to ensure that, to the extent possible, the design, conduct and reporting of the research is free from bias.
* Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists subscribe to the guidance presented in the PhRMA Code on Interactions with Healthcare Professionals and the AdvaMed Code of Ethics on Interactions with Health Care Professionals. As such, gifts of substantial value are generally prohibited.
67 Patient Satisfaction Reviews
The Patient Satisfaction Rating is an average of all responses to the care provider related questions shown below from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. Patients that are treated in outpatient or hospital environments may receive different surveys, and the volume of responses will vary by question.
Responses are measured on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the best score.
The comments are submitted by patients and reflect their views and opinions. The comments are not endorsed by and do not necessarily reflect the views of Cleveland Clinic.
|Courtesy, Respect & Concern||4.9|
|Knows Medical History||4.7|
|Time Spent with Patient||4.8|
|Patient Rating of Doctor||4.9|
5 Patient Comments
Reviewed on Dec 2, 2016
dr pappay is wonderful and caring.
Reviewed on May 27, 2016
One of the nicest staffs and Dr that I have ever dealt with, keep up the good work!
Reviewed on May 6, 2016
Best doctor ever.
Reviewed on Feb 12, 2016
This was basically a second opinion after I had some eye surgery last June. I was concerned about the healing process and some areas that I thought were not done properly. Dr. Papay was very courteous and helpful.
Reviewed on Jan 29, 2016
Cosmetic appointment - Dr. Papay and Brianna are wonderful
© 2016 The Cleveland Clinic Foundation. All Rights Reserved. No part of this work may be altered, reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted, in any form, by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, by photocopying, recording, or otherwise, without the prior written permission of the Cleveland Clinic.