Mary McGreal Sauer, MBA, BSN, RN, NEA-BC is vice president of nursing services and chief nursing officer of Cleveland Clinic Lakewood. Throughout her career, Sauer has successfully proven her ability to develop, organize and lead diverse healthcare teams to achieve operational, fiscal and organizational success. In her current role, Sauer has actively demonstrated her knowledge and expertise through the execution of several noteworthy projects, including the opening of Lakewood’s 35-bed Cleveland Clinic Rehabilitation Hospital, the development of an ‘auto launch’ process for stroke patients requiring interventional procedures and achievement of the American Nurses Credentialing Center's (ANCC) Pathway to Excellence® re-designation.
With more than 30 years of progressive leadership experience, Sauer has a broad background in the management of people and services, and extensive specialty knowledge in the areas of critical care, post-acute care and medical/surgical nursing. She began her career at Fairview Hospital in 1979 as a registered nurse, serving many years as nurse manager and director of nursing prior to transferring to Lakewood in January 2011. She is a member of several professional organizations, has been published in the Journal of Nursing Administration and received the YWCA Women of Excellence award in 2011.
- MBA, California Coast University, San Ana, California, 2007
- BSN, Akron University, Akron, Ohio, 1985
- Diploma, Fairview General Hospital School of Nursing, Cleveland, Ohio, 1979
Sauer is a progressive leader with a broad background based in the management of people and services. She has excellent interpersonal skills, a strong work ethic, and a commitment to ongoing learning. She has demonstrated expertise in service excellence, project management, performance improvement, recruitment and retention, and coaching and mentoring. She holds patient safety, regulatory compliance and physician relations in high regard, effectively leading her nursing team in multiple areas of success from re-designations of Joint Commission certifications (primary stroke, acute rehabilitation and congestive heart failure) to achieving the first Ohio hospital ‘Baby Friendly’ designation from the World Health Organization in 2012.
Sauer’s clinical experience lies within the areas of medical/surgical nursing, critical care and post-acute care.
Research, Publications & Presentations
Throughout Cleveland Clinic health system and beyond, Sauer has addressed audiences on important issues regarding patient care. These include creating a safe and secure patient environment through visiting hours, the recruitment, retention and revitalization of medical/surgical nursing, and interdisciplinary work redesign for the rehabilitation unit.
View a selection of her work.
Anthony M, Standing T, Glick J, Duffy M, Paschall F, Sauer M, Sweeney D, Modic M, Dumpe M. Leadership and Nurse Retention: The Pivotal Role of Nurse Managers. Journal of Nursing Administration. 2005; 35(3): 146-155.
“A Case for Change: Improving Patient Safety and Security,” Leadership Development Initiative, Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, Ohio; 2009. [poster presentation]
“Through the Patient’s Eyes: H-CAHPS Initiatives, New Medications,” Leadership Development Initiative; July 2008.
“Visiting Hours, Creating a Safe and Secure Environment for our Patients,” Best Practice: Safety and Security, Cleveland Clinic; May 2008.
“Zero Diversion Level Alert Plan, Perfecting the Plan 2004-2007,” Cleveland Clinic Annual Safety Fair, Cleveland Ohio; 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007. [poster presentation]
“Constructing for the New Millennium: Recruitment, Retention and the Revitalization of Medical Surgical Nursing,” The Forum on Healthcare Leadership Annual Conference, Washington, DC; 2000. [poster presentation]
“Interdisciplinary Work Redesign for an Acute Rehabilitation Unit,” National Stroke Association Annual Conference, Boston, Massachusetts; 1994.
- Member, American Organization of Nurse Executives
- Member, Ohio Organization of Nurse Executives
- Member, Greater Cleveland Organization of Nurse Executives
- Member, American College of Healthcare Executives
- Member, Healthcare Executives Association of Northeast Ohio
- Board Member, Welcome House, Inc. Board of Trustees
- Board Chair, Welcome House Home Health Care
- Board Member, Lakewood Senior Citizens
Honors & Awards
- Women of Professional Excellence Award, Young Women’s Christian Association, 2011
- Janice G. Murphy Award, Excellence in Leadership, Cleveland Clinic, 2009
As chief nursing officer, Sauer led Lakewood Hospital in achieving the following recognitions:
- Pathway to Excellence® re-designation, American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC), 2013
- Re-designation certifications for Primary Stroke Center, Acute Rehab Center and Heart Failure Center, The Joint Commission, 2012
- Baby Friendly designation, World Health Organization, 2012
- Get with the Guidelines® - Stroke Gold Plus (Bronze, Silver Plus), American Heart Association, 2012
- o Heart Failure Readmission Rate award for significant decrease, Aligning Forces for Quality/Robert Wood Johnson, 2012
Cleveland Clinic Lakewood
14519 Detroit Avenue / LKEXO
Lakewood, Ohio 44107