Chocolate, stroke and women
Preventive Measures and Strategies
Preventing future cerebrovascular conditions is also an important service offered by the Cerebrovascular Center. Our preventive measures and strategies include:
- Identifying and managing lipid disorders in order to reduce the likelihood of symptomatic atherosclerosis in the brain.
- Encouraging participation in smoking-cessation programs for patients who smoke (smoking is one of the major risk factors).
- Educating patients through cardiovascular risk-reduction clinics about what lifestyle habits put them most at risk for both strokes and heart attacks.
Healthy diet, exercise, controlling blood pressure and not smoking are cornerstones of stroke prevention.
- Control your blood pressure.
- Find out if you have heart disease, especially an irregular heartbeat known as atrial fibrillation.
- Don’t smoke.
- Find out if you have a diseased carotid artery.
- Lower your cholesterol.
- Limit your alcohol intake.
- Control your weight.
- If you have diabetes, manage the disease.
Stroke Treatment Guide
Wellness & Nutrition
Simple everyday tips to help you reduce your risk factors for stroke.