Cardiovascular Perfusion is an allied health profession. Perfusionists use heart-lung machines and other technologies to maintain the health of patients during heart surgery and other medical procedures.
Employment as a perfusionist starts with national Certification by the American Board of Cardiovascular Perfusion. In some states a license is also required.
Cleveland Clinic's School of Cardiovascular Perfusion provides a complete and CAAHEP (Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs) accredited program leading to Certification. This is not an affiliated program, the course is offered by Cleveland Clinic's Miller Family Heart & Vascular Institute.
This three-term program is devoted to perfusion-specific clinical experience and clinical classes. Admission is open to applicants who have completed their Bachelors' Degree and have taken the following prerequisite classes:
- Anatomy and Physiology
- Organic Chemistry
- Organic or Biochemistry
- »Cardiovascular Perfusionist Program Prerequisites
- Cleveland Clinic accepts only well qualified individuals. A Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Arts Degree from an accredited University and (or including) the following courses:
- Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, College Math (Pre-calculus Math), Microbiology (or Pathology of Infectious Disease), Pharmacology (Pharmacology for Nursing is accepted), Physics (Physics for Health Sciences is accepted), Introductory Psychology, Statistics, Technical Writing (or a writing-intensive science or research course).
- Applicants should have at least a 3.0 GPA in science classes.
- Applicants are encouraged to suggest alternative courses or employment experience that might substitute for any of the listed prerequisites.
- Submittals of prerequisite courses must be accompanied by the course description as shown in the catalog for that semester.
- While not required, these courses, or related experience, may be helpful to applicants: Ethics, Genetics, Engineering, Hydrodynamics, Music, languages (particularly Spanish).
All classes are held at Cleveland Clinic locations in the Greater Cleveland area. Students are not required to move from state to state to complete clinical learning.
Classes start each year the first week in January.
For more information:
We look forward to your questions and appreciate your interest in our rewarding profession.
For more information, contact: Clifford Ball
Cleveland Clinic (J4-604)
9500 Euclid Ave.
Cleveland OH, 44195
Telephone: 216.444.3895 or 216.444.9215
Cleveland Clinic School of Cardiovascular Perfusion Application
Click a thumbnail to view a larger image: