Your telephone transmitter will allow you to send (transmit) your heart rhythm and rate from home.
Your physician has instructed you to call the Arrhythmia Monitoring Laboratory either:
- when you experience certain symptoms
- or at specific times (every week or month)
When you first receive the transmitter, you need to call in a baseline reading once a week for three months, or as ordered by your physician.
How to Use the Telephone Transmitter
- Put on the wristbands with the flat plate on the inside of your wrists. Place the wristband with the white wire on your right arm, and the wristband with the black wire on your left arm. If needed, pull the wristbands up your arms for a snug fit.
- Moisten the skin under the flat plates of the wristbands with water or rubbing alcohol.
- Call the Arrhythmia Monitoring Laboratory. Please identify yourself by name. Report that you are having symptoms and would like to send an EKG.
- When instructed, press POWER to turn the unit ON.
- Place the phone in the cradle.
- Hold as still as possible during your transmission.
- After 45 seconds, or when the Alert light flashes and you hear a beeping sound, pick up the phone to talk to the clinician.
- Press POWER to turn the unit and alarm OFF when the session ends.
- A report will be given to your physician on the next business day. If you need to speak to your physician, please call his or her office directly.
Battery Replacement Instructions for the Telephone Transmitter
- Turn the transmitter OFF.
- Remove the battery compartment door.
- Remove the old battery.
- Replace with a new 9-volt alkaline battery. Align the battery to match the diagram on the battery compartment door.
- Replace the battery compartment door.
How to Return the Transmitter
Please return the transmitter promptly at the end of the monitoring period.
- Return all parts of the transmitter.
- Please return the transmitter using the packing envelope you received along with the transmitter. You may drop off the package at any UPS store, UPS drop box, Staples store, Office Depot store, or arrange a home pick-up by calling UPS at 800.377.4877.
- Please return the recorder to: Cleveland Clinic Arrhythmia Monitoring Laboratory, J2-29500 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, Ohio, 44195.
- If you need help returning the transmitter, please call the Arrhythmia Monitoring Laboratory.
Remote device monitoring allows you to maintain consistent defibrillator, implantable loop recorder and/or pacemaker follow-up from the comfort of your home or office, or while traveling.
Remote Monitoring Program Enrollment
- Before you can enroll in the program, you must have a standard Analog telephone line in your home.
- a cellular option is available for some of the remote monitoring - check with the Device Clinic to see if you can enroll in this system.
- The Device Clinic nursing staff will help you with the enrollment process. enroll you in remote monitoring.
- You will receive the remote monitor within one month after you are enrolled in the program. If you do not receive it within this time frame, please call the Device Clinic.
- You can only perform remote transmissions at one medical center at a time.
- You may discontinue Cleveland Clinic’s remote monitoring program at any time by calling the Device Clinic with the number provided.
Getting Started with Remote Monitoring
When you receive the monitor from the manufacturer you will also receive materials about the set up of your monitor. you will receive an identification card; please keep this card with you at all times. Please review the written and audiovisual instructions within 24 hours after receiving your monitor.
Perform the initial set up according to the device manufacturer’s instructions. If the monitor is disconnected or there is a loss of power, the initial set-up must be performed again. If you need assistance with the initial set-up, please call your device manufacturer’s technical support line (phone numbers are listed below). Please do not call the Device Clinic.
- Biotronik: 800.284.6689
- Boston Scientific: 866.484.3268
- Medtronic: 800.551.5544
- St. Jude Medical: 877.696.3754
Send the initial transmission within 24 hours after receiving your monitor. You may send it at any time of the day.
On the next business day after you send your first transmission, please call the Device Clinic to confirm receipt of the transmission. Also ask for the date of your next scheduled transmission.
Sending Follow-Up Transmissions
- About two weeks before each scheduled remote transmission appointment, you will receive a reminder in the mail.
- You may need to send the transmission or it may be done automatically depending on the device that you have. With any transmitter you may send a transmission at any time once you call us and tell us you are going to be sending a transmission. We may at times ask you to send a manual transmission.
- You may send your transmission any time on the day of your scheduled transmission appointment.
- If you are experiencing symptoms that require you to make an urgent transmission, please go to your local Emergency Department.