About the Center for Human Nutrition
The Center for Human Nutrition is made up of three distinct areas:
- Inpatient Nutrition Therapy
- Outpatient Nutrition Therapy
- Nutrition Support Team
- Home Parenteral Nutrition
- Home Enteral Nutrition Support
Center for Gut Rehabilitation and Transplantation
Donald F. Kirby, MD, FACP, FACN, FACG, AGAF, CNSC, CPNS
Title: Director, Center for Human Nutrition
Education: Fellowship: Northwestern Memorial Hospital, Gastroenterology/Nutrition, Chicago, IL
Medical School: George Washington University School of Medicine, Washington, DC
Undergraduate: B.S. with Special Honors in Zoology, George Washington University, Washington, DC
Specialty Area: Nutrition Support, Enteral Access
Board Certifications: American Board of Internal Medicine; American Board of Nutrition; Gastroenterology Subspecialty Board; National Board of Nutrition Support Certification; American Board of Physician Nutrition Specialists
Memberships: American College of Physicians, Fellow; American College of Nutrition, Fellow; American College of Gastroenterology, Fellow; American Gastroenterological Association, Fellow; American Society of Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition; American Society for Clinical Nutrition; American Institute of Nutrition
Other: Founding Father of the Virginia Chapter, American Society of Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition; Physician-at-Large (Ohio Society for Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition)
Cindy Hamilton, MS, RD, LD, CNSD
Title: Director, Nutrition
Education: MS Nutrition, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio
BS Dietetics, Ohio University
Dietetic Internship: St. Luke's Hospital, Cleveland, Ohio
Specialty Area: Nutrition Support, Home Parenteral Nutrition Service, Nutrition-Focused Physical Assessment
Other: Chair (2011-2012), Dietitians in Nutrition Support Practice Group (Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics); Public Policy Committee Member, Malnutrition Committee (American Society for Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition); Dietitian-at-Large (Ohio Society for Parenteral and Enteral Nutrition)
- Many of our registered dietitians maintain board-certified specializations in nutrition support, diabetes management, oncology, weight management, and geriatrics
- Our dietitians are extensively involved in various aspects of the Cleveland Clinic’s Wellness Initiative by partnering with local fitness centers, local schools, and grocery stores
- We provide comprehensive evaluation, education, and monitoring of individuals in need of nutritional care at Cleveland Clinic main campus, as well as at 12 of our Family Health Centers
- Individuals requiring home parenteral nutrition receive education and training along with 24-hour inclusive care by a nationally recognized team with 30 years of experience
- Our Gut Rehabilitation and Transplant clinicians are well-known nationally and internationally for their ability to reduce hospital admissions for dehydration, wean patients from nutrition support, and recommend intestinal transplantation when necessary.
- Our clinicians are well-known authors of numerous publications and invited speakers at international presentations on their specific topics of expertise
- Dietitians provide more than 300 home enteral nutrition educations to adult patients annually
- Our multidisciplinary team cares for one of the world’s largest populations of home parenteral nutrition patients
- We continue to be the largest, physician-lead, multidisciplinary nutrition support team in the country
- Many of our clinicians maintain leadership roles in state and national chapters of nutrition associations
- Our dietetic technicians are the backbone for day-to-day activities for hospitalized patients and provide patient education for specific dietary needs
- Established in 1994, the Nutrition Fellowship continues through today to support the education of physicians who are interested in specializing in nutrition
- The Dietetic Internship Program has proudly maintained a 100% pass rate on the Registration Examination for Dietitians within the last five years. Of the 123 graduates of the program between 1989 and 2010, 60% have attained a leadership position in their employment or professional association.
Schedule an Appointment Online
Call us for an Appointment
To find a digestive specialist for your needs, contact the Digestive
Disease Institute at 216.444.7000 (or toll-free 1.800.223.2273, ext.
To arrange a same-day visit, call 216.444.7000
This information is provided by Cleveland Clinic and is not intended to replace
the medical advice of your doctor or health care provider.
Please consult your health care provider for advice about a specific medical condition.
© Copyright 2014 Cleveland Clinic. All rights reserved.