View Cancer Clinical Trials
The ACTS Intervention to Reduce Breast Cancer Treatment Disparity
- The purpose of this randomized clinical trial is to test the effect of a supportive, one time psycho-educational intervention (The ACTS Intervention), on treatment adherence in black women receiving chemotherapy for breast cancer. In addition, this study will explore the influence of ACTS on proximal outcomes that may influence chemotherapy treatment adherence including: 1) belief in chemotherapy; 2)satisfaction with health care provider communication; 3) quality of life; 4) symptom incidence and distress; 5) overall cancer distress; 6) communication of symptoms; 7) understanding tumor and treatment; and 8) social support.
- African American, as determined by patient self report on their demographic form completed at first medical oncology visit;
- Age 18 or older
- Diagnosed with invasive breast cancer
- Recommended (prescribed) chemotherapy by a participating medical oncologist.
- Impaired cognition, as determined by a score of less than 22 on the Mini Mental Status Exam, because patients with impaired cognition would have difficulty completing the data collection procedures
- An inability to understand English because the study questionnaires have not been validated in languages other than English.
Cancer Answers & Appointments
Speak with a cancer nurse specialist for appointment assistance and for answers to your questions about cancer locally at 216.444.7923 or toll-free 1.866.223.8100.
Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. (ET).
Resources for medical professionals
- Outpatient appointment referrals: 216.444.7923 or 866.223.8100
- Inpatient hospital transfers: 800.553.5056
- Referring Physician Concierge: 216.444.6196 or 216.312.4910.
Search available cancer clinical trials by disease, hospital, phase or number.
This information is provided by Cleveland Clinic and is not intended to replace
the medical advice of your doctor or health care provider.
Please consult your health care provider for advice about a specific medical condition.
© Copyright 2015 Cleveland Clinic. All rights reserved.