Follow this checklist to help ensure a smooth billing process.
Before Your Appointment
- Contact your insurance company to make sure you understand your benefits and your plan’s requirements.
- Confirm that Cleveland Clinic is a contracted provider of services for your plan.
- Obtain a referral, if required by your insurance company.* Discuss this with your primary care physician prior to scheduling an appointment with one of our specialists.
- Know the limitations of the referral and obtain an extension or expansion of the scope of the referral if needed.
*Please note: Cleveland Clinic does not require referrals, but your insurance company may require them to provide coverage of your visit or procedure.
Billing & Insurance Basics
Learn about the billing and insurance process before your surgery.
- Bring your driver's license or other form of identification.
- Bring your health insurance cards.
- If you are a returning patient, let us know if your personal or insurance information has changed since your last visit.
- Be prepared to make a co-payment or deductible as needed.
After Your Visit
- Respond promptly to any requests from your insurance provider to ensure timely resolution of your charges.
- If you have an out-of-pocket balance due on a bill, please make timely payments.
- Call us if you have any questions or concerns about a bill or to make arrangements if you cannot pay your balance in full.
Patient Financial Services
Hours: Mon. - Fri., 7 a.m. - 7 p.m.