We realize that pregnancy can be a stressful and emotionally challenging time for many families, and we have the expertise and resources to help, whether you have an underlying medical condition, problems with poor pregnancy outcomes, or a suspected or known problem with your baby (fetus).
Our high-risk pregnancy-related services include preconception planning, pregnancy management (primary or consultative) and delivery.
You may be a candidate for our services if you:
- are carrying a baby with a birth defect or other suspected problem
- will be 35 years old or older at the time of conception
- have a family history or previous child with birth defects
- have a family history of a genetic disorder
- have a history of poor pregnancy outcomes (recurrent miscarriage, stillbirth, premature delivery)
- have a history of pregnancy-related complications (premature delivery, preeclampsia, gestational diabetes)
- have a serious medical condition (high blood pressure, diabetes, heart disease, inflammatory bowel disease, autoimmune disorders, etc.)
- have a multiple gestation (twins, triplets, or even higher order)
Cleveland Clinic maternal-fetal medicine specialists or perinatologists primarily provide consultative services to obstetricians throughout Northeast Ohio. We work in close collaboration with them to manage a wide variety of problems that can arise during pregnancy.
Understanding the importance of the bond between patients and their physicians, our perinatal team strives to keep in close contact with the referring physician by communicating regularly over the course of the pregnancy. In certain situations, when the severity of the condition, either with the mother or with the fetus, necessitates, the patient’s care can be transferred to our practice at Cleveland Clinic.
Preconception Evaluation and Counseling
For patients with significant medical problems and/or history of serious pregnancy complications, the decision to carry a pregnancy must not be taken lightly. Careful planning and taking appropriate measures prior to pregnancy can help prevent or significantly decrease the risk for adverse outcomes in future pregnancies.
Cleveland Clinic's unique team-based approach gives women who seek care for pregnancy-related complications many advantages. Patients will have immediate access to experts in the care of newborns, including neonatologists and pediatric surgeons and subspecialists.
For example, if a baby has been found to have a heart defect, our team consists of pediatric cardiologists and cardiac surgeons, who will help further counsel the family and prepare them for the child’s care after birth.
Our team in maternal-fetal medicine consists of:
- Maternal-Fetal Medicine Subspecialists (Perinatologists)
- Genetic counselors and medical geneticists
- Neonatologists (experts in the care of newborns)
- Pediatric surgeons and subspecialists
- Licensed sonographers
- Perinatal Nurses
If patients have a preexisting condition or develop a medical complication during pregnancy, they will have the resources of one America’s top hospitals immediately available them.
Comprehensive High-Risk Pregnancy Services
- Preconception Counseling
- Genetic Counseling
- Targeted Ultrasound
- Screening for Aneuploidy
- First Trimester Screening and Nuchal Translucency
- Quad Marker Check
- Prenatal Diagnosis
- Chorionic Villus Sampling
- Antepartum Testing
- Non-stress Testing
- Biophysical Profile
- Fetal Doppler
- Fetal Care Center
- Special Delivery Unit
We offer convenience and efficiency that is unmatched in Northeast Ohio by providing services in a variety of settings and at numerous locations throughout the region. Our goal is to get patients in to be seen in a timely manner, while keeping them close to home.
Family Health Centers