About Lutheran Hospital
A History of Caring
Lutheran Hospital first opened in 1896 at Fulton Road and West 29th Street in a residence that was rented for $42 per month. In the first year, 25 patients were admitted. This number slowly grew when the hospital relocated to a larger residence two years later. In 1921, a large expansion project added 110 beds, four operating rooms, a maternity department, nurse’s quarters and an X-ray department.
Innovative updates to Lutheran Hospital continued as a result of a $1,000,000 fundraising campaign in 1957. The campaign, endorsed as the first public fund drive in hospital history, allowed for a new C wing along Vestry Avenue and a North-South B wing. Other updates included a new emergency suite, laboratory, pharmacy, laundry and housekeeping areas, offices, dining room, gift and coffee shops and a chapel.
In 2003 Lutheran Hospital received a perfect score from the Joint Commission on the Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations (JCAHO), the only such score ever achieved by an Ohio hospital. Only 1 in 500 hospitals in the nation receive this score.
Over the past 100 years, Lutheran Hospital has undergone many physical renovations, yet the quality of care remains unchanged and unprecedented.
Lutheran Hospital participates in many fundraising and community events. Community West Foundation is a partner when it comes to most of these activities.
Throughout the year, the Community West Foundation reaches thousands of health care consumers through participation in numerous outreach programs, including health fairs and educational presentations.
The Community West Foundation raises awareness of services provided by the Foundation and Fairview and Lutheran Hospitals.
As a non-profit hospital and responsible member of the community, we provide quality of care information to patients and the public.
A complete list of phone numbers for the departments and medical specialties at Lutheran Hospital
Lutheran Hospital has several volunteer opportunities available to accommodate all types of interests and skills.
The Castele Learning Center at Lutheran Hospital offers a contemporary, high-tech learning venue for surgeons and health care professionals.