Pediatric Emergency Department
Cleveland Clinic Children’s Emergency Department at Fairview Hospital is carefully designed with the unique physical and emotional needs of our youngest patients and their families in mind.
Sudden sickness and injury can happen at any time, and few things are more stressful than contemplating quick, emergency care for your child. Our dedicated pediatric emergency department is open 24/7 to treat your child’s
minor to severe injuries and illnesses.
We see pediatric patients at our Lorain Road location. Contact us locally at 216.476.7000.
What We Treat
We see and treat children for a variety of emergency conditions, as well as for minor injury and illness. Some of these conditions include:
Why Choose Us
As part of Fairview Hospital’s newly expanded Emergency Department and Intensive Care Unit, Cleveland Clinic Children’s Pediatric Emergency Department offers a full range of pediatric care.
Our unit is staffed 24/7 with specially trained pediatric clinicians including:
- Physicians specially trained in pediatric emergency care
- Registered nurses with advanced training in Trauma Nurse Core Course (TNCC) and mobile intensive care nursing, and certifications in trauma care, CalmerKids and Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS)
- Cleveland Clinic Children’s pediatric specialists and surgeons (on call 24-hours-a-day)
The pediatric emergency department is supported by Fairview Hospital’s status as a Level II Trauma Center, and features:
- Dedicated waiting room and examination rooms for pediatric emergency patients
- Specialized equipment designed specifically for children for improved comfort, diagnoses and treatment
- Registration, triage and physician evaluations conducted simultaneously at bedside
Typical emergency rooms do not have the advanced training devoted specifically to children, and urgent care centers do not treat severe illness or injury. We do both. This results in a safer and more effective environment for your child to receive treatment.
A team of Child Life Specialists is available to offer guidance and emotional support and to assist children and their families in preparing for any necessary procedure, from a blood draw to X-rays to surgery. When children understand what is happening to them, they cope better and experience less trauma and anxiety.
Children with more severe injuries, trauma or chronic conditions have access to our full pediatric inpatient unit and Cleveland Clinic Children’s pediatric surgeons and specialists. In advanced situations, Cleveland Clinic Children’s provides a Critical Care Transport team, available 24/7, to transport seriously ill infants or children to our main campus hospital by ambulance or aircraft for more specialized care.