At the completion of their residency, our graduates are well prepared for any practice setting. They have been very successful in finding rewarding practice opportunities in urban, suburban and rural sites in Ohio and around the country. We are proud of them and excited about the future of family medicine. We welcome your interest in our program.
CFM Graduates…Prepared to make a difference!
In over 30 years as a Family Medicine Residency Program there have been 202 graduates. These former residents are now practicing in 26 states across the United States. One hundred thirty (130) have set up practices in the state of Ohio, and 102 of that number are in Northeast Ohio.
A large majority of our graduates join or set up their own primary care practices after graduation. Our alumni practice as solo family doctors, join groups (large and small, independent or hospital-sponsored) and work in urgent care or emergency room settings. Many serve as medical directors of their group practices and/or take leadership roles in their community. Some have explored alternative ways to deliver health care. a graduate (Dr. Jeff Viscomi) pioneered a concierge-type family practice in a local suburb and Dr. Michael Lewis has done so in California. Two other residents (Drs. David Stone and Jose Bocanegra) developed their business plan for a "micropractice" (a very low overhead practice model) while residents here, and are successfully conducting this innovative type of practice in another local community.
Other former residents have ventured into less traditional practices: a graduate of our program was the medical director of the North Coast Health in Lakewood, Ohio for 10 years (Dr. Phil Tomsik), providing health care for those without health care insurance. One of our alumni (Dr. Kathleen Masis) works in a clinic serving American Indians in the western part of the country. Several work among the Amish community in rural central Ohio, one of whom was selected as "Family Physician of the Year - 2000" by the Ohio Academy of Family Physicians (Dr. William Schultz). One of our first graduates was president of Huron Road Hospital in East Cleveland, and is now retired. This same physician was named "2007 Physician Executive of the year" by Medical Group Management Association and the American College of Medical Practice Executives (Dr. Gus Kious). Another grad went on to become board-certified in Emergency Medicine, and now serves as the vice chair of a large local Emergency Medicine Department (Dr. Grant Comnick). Gene Newmier, MD is President of the Maryland Academy of Family Physicians, and Vic Madrid Buenconsejo was named in Baltimore Magazine's "2010 Top Docs" issued in November 2010.
Our graduates are accepted into competitive fellowships in a variety of areas of concentration. A sampling of our recent graduating residents:
- Sports Medicine: The class of 2006 had three of its residents accepted into sports medicine fellowships: one at Duke University, one at University of South Carolina, and one at Riverside Methodist Hospital, Columbus, Ohio. Two members of the class of 2014 are sports medicine fellows, one at the University of South Carolina and one at Cleveland Clinic.
- Community Health: A 2005 graduate completed a fellowship in Community Health/Family Medicine at UNC-Chapel Hill and has taken a position with the CDC in Washington, DC. Another member of this class completed her Masters in Public Health at Case Western Reserve University.
- Geriatrics: A recent graduate, class of 2013, completed a Geriatric Fellowship at Summa Health Care in Akron, Ohio. Another graduate of our program completed her post-residency fellowship in geriatrics at MetroHealth Medical Center, Cleveland, Ohio, and now serves on the faculty of the Department of Family Medicine/Geriatrics at MetroHealth. Also, from the class of 2009 a graduate completed a geriatric fellowship in Little Rock, Arkansas and is now practicing in Tennessee.
- Women's Health:A class of 2005 graduate as well as a member of the class of 2010 completed a fellowship in Women's Health at Cleveland Clinic, Cleveland, Ohio. A 2012 graduate recently completed a Women's Health Fellowship at the University of Alabama, Huntsville.
- Adolescent Medicine: A member of the classes of 2005 and 2007 were accepted into Adolescent Medicine fellowships, one at the University of California, San Francisco, and the other at MetroHealth Medical Center, Cleveland, Ohio.
Thirteen of our alumni hold full-time teaching positions at residency programs or medical schools. Six have returned to teach at our residency program, including Sandy Snyder, DO, as Director of Osteopathic Medicine and Program Director for Fairview's Family Medicine Residency Program. One of our early graduates from the class of 1983 (Dr. Margaret McCahill) is the founding director of the combined Psychiatry and Family Medicine Residency, UC-San Diego and recently won the 2008 Physician Humanitarian Award from the Medical Board of California. Many others hold clinic teaching positions or precept at residency programs.
The intellectual curiosity and networking of our graduates continues after they graduate. A number of our former residents participate in research and have published their work. Their areas of interest are varied and include: sports medicine (Lisa Pomranky, MD '06), infectious disease epidemiology (Rakhee Palekar, MD '05), adolescent medicine (Jennifer Edman, MD '05) and family medicine residency training (David Banas, MD '07).
Community & International Health/Community Service
A number of our graduates volunteer their time for humanitarian work locally, national, and internationally. Four of our residency faculty members volunteer at a local free clinic on a monthly basis. One of our faculty (Dave Eberlein, MD) (who is also a graduate of this program) spends several weeks a year volunteering at remote medical clinics in Central America. After Hurricane Katrina, two of our alumni volunteered to provide medical care for refugees in the Houston Astrodome. Many others conduct health talks and screenings for local community groups and schools.
Download a List of our Graduates from the Last 10 Years