You have decided to come to Cleveland Clinic for heart surgery—What's the next step?
Once you have received the date of your surgery, you may need to make plans for transportation and lodging. We want to make it as easy as possible for you. The information below has been compiled with your traveling needs in mind. Also browse through our Travel Guide.
Call airlines for airplane flights. Here are some suggestions for you:
- Make sure ticket is refundable should discharge date change. You may want to stay one night in our hotels after discharge, so plan your flight home accordingly
- Let airline know that you may need assistance to and from the gate
- Arrangements can be made by your personal travel agent, direct to the airline, or any online service. American Express Travel is also available to provide you with full-service travel arrangements: Hours: 8 a.m.-5 p.m. weekdays. Phone: 216.444.2564. Toll Free: 800.955.6111 [a $30 processing fee is charged for each ticket].
Travel to and from the Airport:
The Miller Family Heart & Vascular Institute is pleased to offer free car service transportation to and from Cleveland Hopkins Airport for Cardiothoracic Surgery patients (and the family members who accompany them). The car service will pick up patients and their family members upon arrival at Hopkins Airport and will transport them to their local hotel. Upon discharge from the hospital, the car service will be available to return the patient from Cleveland Clinic back to Hopkins Airport.
Arrangements may be made in two ways:
- On your own: The phone number will be provided to you by the surgical scheduler. Reference Cleveland Clinic Cardiothoracic Surgery when booking your pick-up.
- This complimentary service is offered for one round trip per patient/family.
- Tips are already included.
- If your travel arrangements change, please contact the care service directly to let them know.
- Medical Concierge: If you use the Medical Concierge, they can assist you with arranging this complementary car service.
The Miller Family Heart & Vascular Institute offers special, free concierge services exclusively for our out-of-state patients and their families. The medical concierge can assist you with hotel and housing reservations and providing discounts when available. In addition, the concierge can provide a resource for you to assist with your stay. Your Medical Concierge is on hand for your convenience every weekday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (EST). Contact Medical Concierge at: 800.223.2273 ext. 5-5580 or via e-mail at email@example.com.
On your own:
You can find lodging information on your own or visit our links below for additional help and ideas. When making reservations, don't forget to ask if discounted Cleveland Clinic rates or weekly rates are available. In addition, you may want to inquire about free shuttle service to and from Cleveland Clinic.