"I hated my glasses - they bothered me whenever I did anything active and I didn't like the way they made me look. Since the procedure, I feel like I've found freedom. My vision is perfect."
- Karleen Mague Stitt
The Cole Eye Institute ophthalmologist who performs your laser vision correction surgery will work to assure that you receive the highest quality postoperative care. To help you achieve maximum visual results, plan on scheduling a minimum of three follow-up appointments after your laser vision correction surgery. These will need to occur 1 day after surgery, 1 week after surgery, and 3 months after laser vision correction surgery. A visit at 6 months or 1 year after surgery will be an optional follow-up. The cost of these visits is included in your surgical fee.
What to expect after laser vision correction surgery
- Your vision may be blurry and hazy for the first day after laser vision correction surgery. Plan to have someone drive you home after your procedure.
- You may experience some discomfort or sensitivity to light for the first several hours after LASIK and the first several days after PRK.
- Your vision may fluctuate between clear and blurry for the first few weeks.
- You may need to wear glasses for night driving or reading until your vision stabilizes. The Union Eye Care in the Cole Eye Institute can put low-cost lenses in your old frames for you to use in the short term.
- Your eyes will be dry even if they do not feel that way. Your vision may improve after using drops prescribed by the ophthalmologist. These drops may burn or cause temporary blurring of vision. Do not use any drops not approved by your ophthalmologist.
Are there any restrictions after laser vision correction surgery?
It generally takes about two to four weeks for the eye to stabilize following laser vision correction surgery. Some special precautions to prevent injury or infection should be taken during the initial postoperative period, including:
- Do not rub your eyes for the first week. Wear the eye shield/goggles that you receive in your postoperative kit when you are sleeping for the first 3 nights.
- Do not let tap water get in your eyes for a week.
- Do not go swimming for 10 days.
- Do not wear eye makeup for 1 week. Do not get your hair colored or permed for 10 days.
- Do not exercise for 2 days. Once you have resumed sports activities, wear eye protection for the first month.
- Do not take a shower or wash your hair until the next day.
- Avoid getting soap in the eye when bathing and washing your hair for 1 week. Also, avoid getting products such as hair spray and shaving lotion in your eyes during this early healing period.
- Wear sunglasses when you go out on a sunny day to protect your eyes from UV exposure for the first several months, especially if you have had PRK .
If you have any questions after your laser vision correction surgery or if you experience pain, sudden decrease in vision, red eye or discharge, contact us immediately at 216.445.8585.
Above all, enjoy your new freedom. The freedom to read your alarm clock without fumbling for your glasses. The freedom to exercise without worrying about your contact lenses. And the freedom to see clearly all day, every day.
Schedule a free consultation with our team of experts to see if laser vision correction surgery is right for you. Call 216.445.8585 or 800.223.2273, ext. 5-8585, for an appointment.