How To Apply - Cole Eye Institute Residency or Fellowship
Applicants who meet all of the appropriate residency criteria and match with us will need a training certificate/medical license from the State of Ohio prior to starting their residency training program.
A permanent medical license from the State of Ohio for fellowship training is required.
Please use the CAS/San Francisco (SF) Match application process: www.sfmatch.org/. Cole Eye Institute requests that all applications are received by SF Match by September 13, 2013.
For eligibility, foreign applicants must have the following qualifications:
- You must graduate from a medical school in the USA or Canada accredited by the LCME (Liaison Committee on Medical Education).
- You must graduate from a college of osteopathic medicine in the USA accredited by the AOA American Osteopathic Association.
- Prior to starting residency, you will need to obtain a training certificate/medical license to practice medicine in the State of Ohio. Prior to starting a fellowship, you will need to obtain a permanent medical license to practice medicine in the State of Ohio.
- In order to obtain a training certificate/medical license in the State of Ohio, you must have the proper visa. Appropriate visa types include: J1 (residency only), H1-B, O-1, or permanent residency status (for fellowship). The Cleveland Clinic Graduate Medical Education Office (GME) will assist you with visa issues if all of the previous criteria are met.
Foreign medical graduates of schools outside of USA or Canada must meet the following qualifications:
- You must have a current 'certified' certificate for ECFMG (Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates), and you must submit a copy of this certificate with a copy of your qualifying exam results.
- To obtain the certificate, you must take the USMLE and English/CSA (clinical skills assessment) exams and provide documentation/certificates of exam results.
- You will not be eligible for residency or fellowship without the ECFMG/USMLE certificates.
2013 Residency Interview Dates:
Sunday, November 10, 2013
Monday, November 11, 2013
Residency Selection Co-Directors:
Elias Traboulsi, MD
Jeffrey Goshe, MD
Interview Selection Criteria:
The Committee gives the highest consideration to all applicants and we have no specific requirements. However, criteria we deem important in the selection process includes:
- Outstanding college and medical school academic records.
- Board scores above the ninetieth percentile.
- For international medical graduates, a score above the ninetieth percentile on the ECFMG examinations.
- Evidence of academic abilities and achievements.
- Evidence of commitment to ophthalmology as indicated by involvement in research, medical school ophthalmology, electives, etc.
Applications will be reviewed following the deadline. Once candidates are selected for interview, notification of interviews will be made via e-mail or phone by the program coordinator. For the four vacancy positions, approximately 50-60 candidates will be interviewed.
- Each candidate will have separate 10-15 minute interviews with staff who represent the residency selection committee for that year.
- Some interviewers will interview individually and others may be teamed up (2 or 3) per applicant.
- Continental breakfast and lunch will be provided on interview days.
- Residents (on a rotating basis) will be available for questions, tours, etc.
- The Residency Selection Committee meets after all interviews have taken place to rank the applicants and a rank list is sent to the SF Match.
Each year we receive hundreds of applications to consider for interviews. The process is very daunting merely by the volume, timeframe involved and our manpower. As a result, it is often difficult to communicate with each applicant, so please watch our website (top of this section) since we do indicate when all interviews have been granted for that particular year.
For questions, emails are the preferred form of communication. Thank you for your interest, patience and understanding.
Cole Eye Institute
Cleveland Clinic Foundation
9500 Euclid Ave., i-13
Cleveland, OH 44195 USA