Cleveland Clinic Canada is committed to keeping Canadians healthy through modern medical assessments and innovative prevention programs. Discover a comprehensive, tailored approach to exercise and wellness that reaches beyond the gimmicks and cookie-cutter workout programs.
Our exercise physiology service will take you beyond the traditional fitness assessment, delving into the metabolic, neuromuscular and cardio-respiratory functions of your body. We provide services tailored for each stage of life, from amateur or professional athletes to those afflicted with age- or disease-related barriers and limitations. You’ll emerge energized, educated and focused to achieve your fitness and movement goals.
Canadians seeking physical performance solutions to address:
- Cardiopulmonary rehabilitation
- Exercise for diabetes management
- General physical activity and weight management
- Musculoskeletal and/or orthopaedic injury rehabilitation
- Osteoporosis and bone health
- Pre- and post-natal exercise
- Recovery and post-rehabilitation from cancer treatment
- Sport-specific conditioning needs
- Strategies for chronic, co-existing or complex conditions
- We will create a detailed analysis and custom physical activity plan that will enhance your overall health
- You will enhance your overall physical performance, increase your flexibility and improve your cardio output
- Evidence-based fitness assessment and physical activity plans are created by degreed, certified exercise physiologists
- Our plans are uniquely designed to evaluate your cardiovascular endurance and musculoskeletal health
- You will work with your exercise physiologist to discuss how the results relate to your health and your performance goals
- The exercise physiologist will create a specific fitness plan to align with your personal goals and activity level
Exercise physiology services are not covered by provincial health plans, though may be partially covered by extended health insurance plans. The coverage for each carrier is different; please check your plan to see what coverage is available for this type of service.
Whether you are training for a marathon, just starting a fitness regimen or coping with a chronic illness, you will learn to make the most of your exercise time. We will tailor recommendations to suit your needs, whether in a gym, at home, on the road, through sports or any combination of the above.
The assessment includes:
- Comparative measures of the body, including height, weight, waist circumference and body composition that identify potential risks as they relate to medical standards
- Cardiovascular measures, including resting heart rate and blood pressure, exercise heart rate and blood pressure (submaximal/maximal), and a 1-minute heart rate recovery index
- Flexibility measures using digital technology that targets range of motion and degree of movement
- Strength, power and endurance measures using dynamometers, specialized equipment that calculates the force behind your muscles.
- Specialized testing as medically necessary, including pulmonary function (FEV1, FVC), blood glucose response to exercise, ECG analysis and specific muscle testing