Cleveland Clinic Canada is committed to keeping Canadians healthy through modern medical assessments and innovative prevention programs. Discover a comprehensive, tailored approach to exercise and wellness that reaches beyond the gimmicks and cookie-cutter workout programs.
Our exercise physiology service will take you beyond the traditional fitness assessment, delving into the metabolic, neuromuscular and cardio-respiratory functions of your body. We provide services tailored for each stage of life, from amateur or professional athletes to those afflicted with age- or disease-related barriers and limitations. You’ll emerge energized, educated and focused to achieve your fitness and movement goals.
Canadians seeking physical performance solutions to address:
- Cardiopulmonary rehabilitation
- Exercise for diabetes management
- General physical activity and weight management
- Musculoskeletal and/or orthopaedic injury rehabilitation
- Osteoporosis and bone health
- Pre- and post-natal exercise
- Recovery and post-rehabilitation from cancer treatment
- Sport-specific conditioning needs
- Strategies for chronic, co-existing or complex conditions
- We will create a detailed analysis and custom physical activity plan that will enhance your overall health
- You will enhance your overall physical performance, increase your flexibility and improve your cardio output
- Evidence-based fitness assessment and physical activity plans are created by degreed, certified exercise physiologists
- Our plans are uniquely designed to evaluate your cardiovascular endurance and musculoskeletal health
- You will work with your exercise physiologist to discuss how the results relate to your health and your performance goals
- The exercise physiologist will create a specific fitness plan to align with your personal goals and activity level
Exercise physiology services are not covered by provincial health plans, though may be partially covered by extended health insurance plans. The coverage for each carrier is different; please check your plan to see what coverage is available for this type of service.
Whether you are training for a marathon, just starting a fitness regimen or coping with a chronic illness, you will learn to make the most of your exercise time. We will tailor recommendations to suit your needs, whether in a gym, at home, on the road, through sports or any combination of the above.
The assessment includes:
- Comparative measures of the body, including height, weight, waist circumference and body composition that identify potential risks as they relate to medical standards
- Cardiovascular measures, including resting heart rate and blood pressure, exercise heart rate and blood pressure (submaximal/maximal), and a 1-minute heart rate recovery index
- Flexibility measures using digital technology that targets range of motion and degree of movement
- Strength, power and endurance measures using dynamometers, specialized equipment that calculates the force behind your muscles.
- Specialized testing as medically necessary, including pulmonary function (FEV1, FVC), blood glucose response to exercise, ECG analysis and specific muscle testing
Optional or Added Tests (if required)
VO2 Max Metabolic Stress Testing
The metabolic stress test is driven by innovative technology that uses a breath-by-breath gas analysis to gauge precisely how your metabolism is functioning during all stages of exercise.
The test is performed on a bike or treadmill and includes a 60-minute consultation with an exercise physiologist. At the conclusion, you will receive a detailed report and recommendations to achieve peak physical performance.
Surface Electromyography (sEMG)
The surface electromyography test is a safe, painless analysis of muscle activity as you perform various exercises. The sEMG is recommended for those seeking to manage chronic muscle and joint injuries. The results of the sEMG will show where any muscle impairment is occurring, as well as give information about the coordination of different muscle groups.
The procedure is non-invasive; the exercise physiologist will affix electrodes over the muscle to determine if impairment is occurring when you are performing a specific exercise. At the conclusion, you will meet with the exercise physiologist for a 60-minute consultation to discuss your results and create an individual exercise plan.
Clinical Exercise Consultation
Our exercise physiologists have the ability to seek expert opinions from world class medical specialists and sub-specialists, either here in Canada or from Cleveland Clinic in Ohio, to enhance our treatment and therapy options for a multitude of illnesses. The Clinical Exercise Consultation service is ideal for:
- Providing recommendations for fitness or health professionals whose clients require a clinical opinion on an exercise related barrier
- Making exercise and physical health recommendations for patients with multiple, chronic or complex conditions
We have access to the latest technology in physical assessment, including tests for:
- Bone mineralization
- Cardiovascular disorders
- Lung function
- Muscle performance
Which Approach is Right for Me?
Find your current fitness concern in the left column; click on the recommended approach in the right column.
- Starting a new exercise program
- Modifying my current exercise program due to injury, illness or changing goals
- Trying to lose weight
- Trying to gain weight
- Dealing with a chronic injury
- Working to optimize my current fitness program or improve my athletic performance
- Afflicted with complex or multiple clinical barriers to performing exercise
- A healthcare provider requesting an opinion on an exercise related barrier for a patient
- Currently active although I would like a consultation to assess my progress and discuss my fitness goals
- Evidence Based Fitness Assessment and Physical Activity Plan
- Evidence Based Fitness Assessment and Physical Activity Plan
- VO2 (Metabolic Stress Testing Resting (Basal) Metabolic Rate
- Resting (Basal) Metabolic Rate
- Evidence Based Fitness Assessment and Physical Activity Plan VO2 (Metabolic Stress Testing)
- Surface EMG (sEMG)
- Clinical Exercise Consultation/Exercise Second Opinion
- Follow-up Exercise Consultation