Although pain frequently accompanies cancer, it is often under treated. An estimated 3.5 million people suffer from cancer pain daily and 90 percent of patients with advanced cancer say pain is the most distressing symptom of their disease. What people do not realize is, for virtually all patients, cancer pain can be controlled.
The Cleveland Clinic Cancer Pain Clinic is a joint effort between the Cleveland Clinic Pain Management Department and the Cleveland Clinic Taussig Cancer Center. The clinic is comprised of an interdisciplinary team that provides comprehensive evaluation and treatment of cancer pain.
Range of Services
At the Cancer Pain Clinic, visitors will find all the specialists they need in one convenient location. Interdisciplinary teams work together, using the latest methods for diagnosis and treatment to help alleviate people's pain. The Cleveland Clinic Pain Clinic offers a full range of services to address all of a patients' needs, including:
- A team of medical oncologists, radiation oncologists, psychiatrists, anesthesiologists specially trained in pain management, and a range of medical and allied professionals collaborating on treatment plans to meet individuals needs.
- Advanced diagnostic techniques – and complete assessment of pain – in order to tailor the most appropriate treatment to each individuals needs.
- State-of-the-art treatment options, including nerve blocks, intraspinal drug infusion systems, radiation therapy and new drug therapies.
- Weekly Pain Clinic held at the Cleveland Clinic Taussig Center.
- Each pain clinic is followed by a case conference in which the multidisciplinary team reviews each patient's pain management program.
- Close communications with referring physicians.
- Coordinated care, including registered nurses, who assist patients and families in learning about pain management.
- Counseling for patients and families.
- Advanced technologies available through research conducted at major medical centers.
- Referral to appropriate Cleveland Clinic specialists for treatment.
The Cleveland Clinic Taussig Cancer Center is the top-ranked cancer center in Ohio and has consistently ranked among the best in the country.