Drugs, Devices & Supplements
Instructions for Insulin Injection Using One Bottle of Insulin
Health & Wellness Programs
Did you know Cleveland Clinic offers nutrition, fitness and educational programs that can help you manage your diabetes?
- Wash your hands.
- Pick up the bottle and turn it upside down.
- Roll the bottle gently between your hands to mix the insulin.
- Set the bottle back on the table.
- Wipe the top of the bottle with alcohol.
- Remove the caps from the top and bottom of the syringe.
- Pull the plunger down to the correct unit mark for your insulin dose as ordered.
- Leave the bottle on the table.
- Insert the needle into the bottle.
- Push the plunger down to inject air into the bottle.
- Leave the needle in the bottle.
- Turn the bottle upside down with the needle in it.
- Hold the bottle at eye level.
- Pull the plunger down to the correct unit mark for your insulin dose.
- Look for air bubbles in the syringe.
- If you see air bubbles in the syringe, push the insulin back into the bottle and repeat steps 14 and 15.
- Check that the dose is correct.
- Pull the bottle away from the needle.
- Set the bottle on the table.
- Set down the syringe. Do not let the needle touch anything.
- Pinch or spread the skin for the injection site.
- Wipe the area with alcohol. Let the alcohol dry.
- Pick up the syringe. Hold it like a dart.
- Insert the needle straight into the skin at a 90-degree angle. Make sure the needle is in all the way through the skin.
- Push down the plunger to inject the insulin. Count to five.
- Pull out the needle while applying pressure to the area with an alcohol swab.
- Discard the needle and syringe as advised.
© 1995-2015 The Cleveland Clinic Foundation. All rights reserved.
Can't find the health information you’re looking for?
This information is provided by the Cleveland Clinic and is not intended to replace the medical advice of your doctor or health care provider. Please consult your health care provider for advice about a specific medical condition. This document was last reviewed on: 1/29/2013...#11729