Treatment & Services
- Advanced Ischemic Heart Disease Center
- Aorta Center
- Aorta Graft
- Aorta Surgery
- Aortic Dissection
- Aortic Valve Repair
- Aortic Valve Replacement
- Aortic Valve Surgery
- Arterial Coronary Artery Bypass Grafts
- Atherosclerosis Surgery
- Atrial Fibrillation Center
- Atrial Septal Defect Closure
- Bypass Surgery
- Cardiac Surgery
- Cardio-Oncology Center
- Cardiovascular Surgery Department
- Complex Aorta Surgery
- Coronary Artery Reoperation
- David Procedure
- David Reimplantation Operation
- Heart Surgery
- Heart Surgery for Marfan Syndrome
- Heart Surgery Reoperation
- Heart Valve Surgery
- High Risk Reoperation Surgery
- Minimally Invasive Aortic Surgery
- Minimally Invasive Cardiac Surgery
- Minimally Invasive Heart Surgery
- Minimally Invasive Mitral Valve Repair
- Minimally Invasive Surgery
- Mitral Valve Replacement
- Mitral Valve Surgery
- Modified David's Reimplantation Procedure
- Off Pump Bypass Surgery
- Off Pump Heart Surgery
- Pacemaker Implant
- Percutaneous and Endoscopic Interventions for Atrial Fibrillation
- Percutaneous Valve Repair and Replacement
- Percutaneous Valve Treatment
- Pericardial Diseases Center
- Pericardium Surgery
- Radial Artery and Saphenous Vein Harvesting
- Removal of Atrial Myxoma
- Removal of Cardiac Tumors
- Reoperation Valve Surgery
- Stent Grafting
- Surgery for Infective Endocarditis
- Surgery for Thoracic Aortic Aneurysm
- Surgical Ablation Of Atrial Fibrillation
- Surgical Procedures for Atrial Fibrillation
- Valve Surgery
Specialty in Diseases & Conditions
- Aorta Disease
- Aortic Aneurysms
- Aortic Regurgitation
- Aortic Stenosis
- Atherosclerosis (vascular)
- Atrial Fibrillation
- Atrial Septal Defects
- Coarctation Of The Aorta
- Congenital Heart Disease
- Congenital Valve Disease
- Connective Tissue Disorders
- Coronary Artery Disease
- Dilated Cardiomyopathy
- Heart Attack
- Heart Disease
- Heart Failure
- Heart Valve Disease
- Heart Valve Infections
- Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy
- Infective Endocarditis
- Ischemic Cardiomyopathy
- Marfan Syndrome
- Mitral Valve Prolapse
- Mitral Valve Regurgitation
- Mitral Valve Stenosis
- Patent Foramen Ovale
- Pulmonary Embolism
- Pulmonary Valve Disease
- Pulmonic Regurgitation
- Pulmonic Stenosis
- Rheumatic Heart Disease
- Superior Vena Cava Syndrome
- Thoracic Aortic Aneurysm
- Thoracoabdominal Aortic Aneurysm
- Tricuspid Regurgitation
- Tricuspid Stenosis
- Tricuspid Valve Disease
Is Cleveland Clinic Part of Your Insurance?
Review a list of accepted insurance plans for our Northeast Ohio locations or learn more about purchasing a contracted managed care plan.View All Plans
Education & Professional Highlights
Education & Fellowships
Residency - Cleveland Clinic
Cleveland, OH USA
Residency - Massachusetts General Hospital
Boston, MA USA
Fellowship - Massachusetts General Hospital
Boston, MA USA
Internship - Massachusetts General Hospital
Boston, MA USA
Medical School - Harvard Medical School
Boston, MA USA
- Thoracic & Cardiac Surgery
cardiac surgery, surgery of the aortic valve and root, mitral and aortic valve repair, coronary artery surgery, reoperative cardiac surgery, endovascular cardiac interventions
Awards & Honors
- 2013, Innovator Award, Cleveland Clinic
- 2010, 2013 Teacher of the Year Award, Cardiothoracic Surgery, Cleveland Clinic
- 2011, Early Career Innovation Award
- 2010, Innovator Award, Cleveland Clinic
- 2009, J. Maxwell Chamberlain Award, Society of Thoracic Surgeons
Innovations & Patents
- Innovations & Patents: iVHR, inc: Interactive Visual Health Record - Founder and Chief Medical Officer
- Intellectual Property: Heart BRACE – Co-inventor, US D552.108 S, Patent, 2006
Research & Publications
(Disclaimer: This search is powered by PubMed, a service of the U.S. National Library of Medicine. PubMed is a third-party website with no affiliation with Cleveland Clinic.)
Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists may collaborate with the pharmaceutical or medical device industries to help develop medical breakthroughs or provide medical expertise or education. Cleveland Clinic strives to make scientific advances that will benefit patient care and support outside relationships that promise public benefit. In order for the discoveries of Cleveland Clinic physicians' and scientists' laboratories and investigations to benefit the public, these discoveries must be commercialized in partnership with industry. As experts in their fields, Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists are often sought after by industry to consult, provide expertise and education.
To assure professional and commercial integrity in such matters, Cleveland Clinic maintains a program that reviews these collaborations and, when appropriate, puts measures in place to minimize bias that may result from ties to industry. Cleveland Clinic publicly discloses the names of companies when (i) its physicians/scientists receive $5,000 or more per year (or, in rare cases, equity or stock options) for speaking and consulting, (ii) its physicians/scientists serve as a fiduciary, (iii) its physicians/scientists receive or have the right to receive royalties or (iv) its physicians/ scientists hold any equity interest for the physician's/scientist's role as inventor, discoverer, developer, founder or consultant.* In publicly disclosing this information, Cleveland Clinic tries to provide information as accurately as possible about its physicians' and scientists' connections with industry.
As of 5/2/2018, Dr. Johnston has reported the financial relationships with the companies listed below. In general, patients should feel free to contact their doctor about any of the relationships and how the relationships are overseen by Cleveland Clinic. To learn more about Cleveland Clinic's policies on collaborations with industry and innovation management, go to our Integrity in Innovation page.
Consulting and/or Speaking. Dr. Johnston receives fees of $5,000 or more per year as a paid consultant, speaker or member of an advisory committee for the following companies:
- CapsicoHealth, Inc.
- Abbott Laboratories
- HD Medical, Inc.
Royalty Payments. Dr. Johnston receives or has the right to receive royalty payments for inventions or discoveries commercialized through the companies shown below:
- Jace Medical, LLC
Right to Future Distribution of Cleveland Clinic Financial Interest. Dr. Johnston may receive future financial benefits from the Cleveland Clinic for inventions or discoveries commercialized through the companies shown below:
- Jace Medical, LLC
Public Health Service-Reportable Financial Conflicts of Interest. Cleveland Clinic scientists and physicians engage in basic, translational and clinical research activities, working to solve health problems, enhance patient care and improve quality of life for patients. Interactions with industry are essential to bringing the researchers' discoveries to the public, but can present the potential for conflicts of interest related to their research activities. Click here to view a listing of instances where Cleveland Clinic has identified a Public Health Service (PHS)-Reportable Financial Conflict of Interest and has put measures in place to ensure that, to the extent possible, the design, conduct and reporting of the research is free from bias.
* Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists subscribe to the guidance presented in the PhRMA Code on Interactions with Healthcare Professionals and the AdvaMed Code of Ethics on Interactions with Health Care Professionals. As such, gifts of substantial value are generally prohibited.
143 Patient Satisfaction Reviews
The Patient Satisfaction Rating is an average of all responses to the care provider related questions shown below from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. Patients that are treated in outpatient or hospital environments may receive different surveys, and the volume of responses will vary by question.
Responses are measured on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the best score.
The comments are submitted by patients and reflect their views and opinions. The comments are not endorsed by and do not necessarily reflect the views of Cleveland Clinic.
|Courtesy, Respect & Concern||4.8|
|Knows Medical History||4.9|
|Time Spent with Patient||4.8|
|Patient Rating of Doctor||4.9|
9 Patient Comments
Reviewed on Jan 11, 2018
Chance of A-Fib occurring and what to expect and ramifications, was not explained.
Reviewed on Dec 14, 2017
*Dr. Douglas Johnston was very helpful in pre-operative conference.
Reviewed on Nov 15, 2017
He had a complete followup plan for me.....very helpful....JP
Reviewed on Sep 14, 2017
Such a friendly place, felt like family!
Reviewed on Aug 17, 2017
Great experience! Best hospital in which I've been a patient.
Reviewed on Jun 17, 2017
Dr. Johnston is outstanding.
Reviewed on May 30, 2017
Reviewed on May 29, 2017
Dr. Johnson was extremely confident which helped easy my worries about surgery.
Reviewed on May 16, 2017
Excellent treatment, excellent hospital.
© 2018 The Cleveland Clinic Foundation. All Rights Reserved. No part of this work may be altered, reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted, in any form, by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, by photocopying, recording, or otherwise, without the prior written permission of the Cleveland Clinic.