Treatment & Services
- Abdominal Perineal Resection
- Anorecal Physiology And Ultrasonography
- Anorectal Fistula Treatment
- Anorectal Surgery
- Colon And Rectal Surgical Procedures
- Colorectal Surgery
- Fecal Diversion
- Gastrointestinal Exams
- Laparoscopic Rectopexy
- Laparoscopic Surgery
- Laparoscopic Surgery for Digestive Diseases
- Minimally Invasive Surgery
- Pediatric Total Abdominal Colectomy
- Pelvic Floor Surgery
- Rectal Ultrasound
- Surgery for Fecal Incontinence
- Surgery for Rectal Prolapse
- Surgery for Rectovaginal Fistula
Specialty in Diseases & Conditions
- Anal Abscesses
- Anal Fissures
- Anal Fistula
- Bowel Incontinence
- Colon Polyps
- Female Incontinence
- Functional Disorders
- Pelvic Disorders
- Pelvic Floor Dysfunction
- Rectal Abscess
- Rectal Prolapse
- Rectal Vaginal Fistula
Is Cleveland Clinic Part of Your Insurance?
Review a list of accepted insurance plans for our Northeast Ohio locations or learn more about purchasing a contracted managed care plan.View All Plans
Education & Professional Highlights
Education & Fellowships
Fellowship - Cleveland Clinic
Cleveland, OH USA
Residency - Mount Sinai School of Medicine
New York, NY USA
Internship - Mount Sinai School of Medicine
New York, NY USA
Medical School - Hahnemann University Medical College
Philadelphia, PA USA
Undergraduate - Barnard College, Columbia University
New York, NY USA
- Physician leadership courses, 2006-2007
- Robotic Surgery: daVinci Colorectal Surgery
- Medtronics Interstim™ For Bowel Control
- Jahnigen Career Development Scholars, American Geriatrics Society ($200,000), 2003-2005
- Maimonides Research and Development Foundation ($19,750), 2006-2007
- Board of Directors, National Association for Continence 2010-2012
- Committee Member, Pelvic Floor Distress Network, Cleveland Clinic Site, National Institute of Childhood Health and Human Development
- Clinical Systems Office, Medical Operations 2009-2012
- Colon and Rectal Surgery
Pelvic organ prolapse, bowels and bladder dysfunction, fecal incontinence, rectal internal and external prolapse, enterocele, rectocele, slow transit and outlet constipation, ano or rectal vaginal fistula, hemorrhoids, anal fistula, fissures, rectal pain, and pelvic floor dysfunction
Awards & Honors
- Fellow, American College of Surgeons
- Fellow, American Board of Colon and Rectal Surgeons
Innovations & Patents
- Advanced Laparoscopy, Robotic Surgery, Multidisciplinary Pelvic floor evaluation and treatment, Ventral Rectopexy, Anal sphincter reinforcement or encirclement with biologic mesh, sacral neuromodulation (bowel pacemaker), Stapled Hemorrhoidectomy, Doppler Assisted Hemorrhoid artery ligation.
- American Board of Colon and Rectal Surgery
- American College of Surgeons
- International Foundation for Functional Gastrointestinal Disorders
Research & Publications
(Disclaimer: This search is powered by PubMed, a service of the U.S. National Library of Medicine. PubMed is a third-party website with no affiliation with Cleveland Clinic.)
Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists may collaborate with the pharmaceutical or medical device industries to help develop medical breakthroughs or provide medical expertise or education. Cleveland Clinic strives to make scientific advances that will benefit patient care and support outside relationships that promise public benefit. In order for the discoveries of Cleveland Clinic physicians' and scientists' laboratories and investigations to benefit the public, these discoveries must be commercialized in partnership with industry. As experts in their fields, Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists are often sought after by industry to consult, provide expertise and education.
To assure professional and commercial integrity in such matters, Cleveland Clinic maintains a program that reviews these collaborations and, when appropriate, puts measures in place to minimize bias that may result from ties to industry. Cleveland Clinic publicly discloses the names of companies when (i) its physicians/scientists receive $5,000 or more per year (or, in rare cases, equity or stock options) for speaking and consulting, (ii) its physicians/scientists serve as a fiduciary, (iii) its physicians/scientists receive or have the right to receive royalties or (iv) its physicians/ scientists hold any equity interest for the physician's/scientist's role as inventor, discoverer, developer, founder or consultant.* In publicly disclosing this information, Cleveland Clinic tries to provide information as accurately as possible about its physicians' and scientists' connections with industry.
As of 12/19/2016, Dr. Gurland has reported no financial relationship with industry that is applicable to this listing. In general, patients should feel free to contact their doctor about any of the relationships and how the relationships are overseen by Cleveland Clinic. To learn more about Cleveland Clinic's policies on collaborations with industry and innovation management, go to our Integrity in Innovation page.
Public Health Service-Reportable Financial Conflicts of Interest. Cleveland Clinic scientists and physicians engage in basic, translational and clinical research activities, working to solve health problems, enhance patient care and improve quality of life for patients. Interactions with industry are essential to bringing the researchers' discoveries to the public, but can present the potential for conflicts of interest related to their research activities. Click here to view a listing of instances where Cleveland Clinic has identified a Public Health Service (PHS)-Reportable Financial Conflict of Interest and has put measures in place to ensure that, to the extent possible, the design, conduct and reporting of the research is free from bias.
* Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists subscribe to the guidance presented in the PhRMA Code on Interactions with Healthcare Professionals and the AdvaMed Code of Ethics on Interactions with Health Care Professionals. As such, gifts of substantial value are generally prohibited.
123 Patient Satisfaction Reviews
The Patient Satisfaction Rating is an average of all responses to the care provider related questions shown below from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. Patients that are treated in outpatient or hospital environments may receive different surveys, and the volume of responses will vary by question.
Responses are measured on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the best score.
The comments are submitted by patients and reflect their views and opinions. The comments are not endorsed by and do not necessarily reflect the views of Cleveland Clinic.
|Courtesy, Respect & Concern||4.8|
|Knows Medical History||4.4|
|Time Spent with Patient||4.6|
|Patient Rating of Doctor||4.7|
9 Patient Comments
Reviewed on Apr 25, 2017
she is brilliant- number one in her field.
Reviewed on Apr 4, 2017
Reviewed on Mar 14, 2017
Dr Gurland is an excellent surgeon and very personable as well. Her and her office staff exceeded my expectations for care.
Reviewed on Jan 16, 2017
Dr. Gurland is awesome. I referred my sister to her for care.
Reviewed on Oct 23, 2016
Physician was amazing!
Reviewed on Oct 10, 2016
Best doctors I have ever had.
Reviewed on Jul 18, 2016
Dr. Gurland has been with me at all times thru this ongoing condition offering support, help and professioalism.My family and I have the utmost respect for her.
Reviewed on Jun 28, 2016
Reviewed on Jun 28, 2016
This is the first Doctor that has previous experience with my condition. That says something positive right there.
© 2017 The Cleveland Clinic Foundation. All Rights Reserved. No part of this work may be altered, reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted, in any form, by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, by photocopying, recording, or otherwise, without the prior written permission of the Cleveland Clinic.