Treatment & Services
- Abdominal Perineal Resection
- Advanced Polypectomy
- Anorecal Physiology And Ultrasonography
- Anorectal Fistula Treatment
- Anorectal Physiology
- Anorectal Surgery
- Clinical Trials
- Colon Surgery
- Colorectal Cancer Research
- Colorectal Cancer Screening Strategies
- Colorectal Surgery
- Consultation for Complicated Colon and Rectal Disease
- Continent Ileostomy
- Fecal Diversion
- Flexible Sigmoidoscopy
- Ileoanal Pouch
- Inherited Colon Cancer Risk Assessment
- Intestinal Stomas
- J Pouch
- Pelvic Floor Surgery
- Pelvic Pouch Procedures For Ulcerative Colitis
- Pelvic Pouch Surgery for Ulcerative Colitis
- Rectal Cancer Surgery
- Rectal Surgery
- Rectal Ultrasound
- Rectal-Sparing Operations For Carcinoma Of The Rectum
- Rectum Reoperative Abdominopelvic Surgery
- Re-Do Rectal Surgery
- Reoperative Abdominal Surgery
- Reoperative Pelvic Surgery
- Reoperative Surgery
- Resection of Colon and Rectal Diseases
- Rubber Band Ligation Of Hemorrhoids
- Sphincter Sparing Surgery
- Sphincter Surgery
- Stoma Surgery
- Surgery For Carcinoma Of The Colon
- Surgery For Crohn's Disease
- Surgery for Fecal Incontinence
- Surgery for Pilonidal Cyst
- Surgery for Rectal Prolapse
- Surgery for Rectovaginal Fistula
- Surgical Endoscopy and Endoscopic Procedures
- Surgical Nutrition
Specialty in Diseases & Conditions
- Abdominal Pain
- Anal Abscesses
- Anal Cancer
- Anal Fissures
- Anal Fistula
- Benign Anorectal Disease
- Bowel Incontinence
- Collagenous Colitis
- Colon Polyps
- Colonic Neoplasia
- Colorectal Cancer
- Crohn's Disease
- Enterocutaneious Fistula
- Familial Adenomatous Polyposis
- Functional Disorders
- Genital Warts
- Hereditary Non Polyposis Colorectal Cancer
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD)
- Intestinal Fistulae
- Intestinal Ischemic Syndrome
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
- Juvenile Polyposis
- Large Bowel Cancer
- Large Intestine Cancer
- Necrotizing Fasciitis
- Perianal Ulcer
- Peutz- Jeghers Syndrome
- Pilonidal Cyst
- Proctitis - Care & Treatment
- Rectal Abscess
- Rectal Bleeding
- Rectal Prolapse
- Rectal Vaginal Fistula
- Small Bowel Cancer
- Small Intestine Cancer
- Ulcerative Colitis
Is Cleveland Clinic Part of Your Insurance?
Review a list of accepted insurance plans for our Northeast Ohio locations or learn more about purchasing a contracted managed care plan.View All Plans
Education & Professional Highlights
Education & Fellowships
Fellowship - Cleveland Clinic
Cleveland, OH USA
Fellowship - Auckland Hospital Board Group
Residency - Auckland Hospital Board Group
Medical School - University of Auckland School of Medicine
Undergraduate - University of Auckland School of Medicine
Auckland, New Zealand
- Victor W. Fazio Endowed Chair in Colorectal Surgery
- Fellow of American Surgical Association
- Lifetime Achievement Award, Collaborative Group of the Americas for Inherited Colorectal Cancer
- Past Chairman, Leeds Castle Polyposis Group, International Collaborative Group for Hereditary Non-Polyposis Colorectal Cancer and InSiGHT. Current InSiGHT Council Member.
- Co-Editor, Diseases of the Colon & Rectum, 2000-2008
Anorectal Disease, anorectal physiology and disorders, benign anorectal disease, cancer and polyps of the colon and rectum, cancer of the colon, carcinoma of the colon, carcinoma of the rectum, carcinoma of the small bowel and large bowel, chemoprevention of colorectal neoplasia, colon & anus, colon and rectal cancer, colon and rectal surgery, Colon Cancer, colonic neoplasia, Colonoscopy, Colorectal Cancer, colorectal cancer research, colorectal cancer screening strategies, colorectal surgery, Constipation, continent ileostomy procedure, Crohn's Disease, diverticiulitis pelvic pouch procedures for mucosal ulcerative colitis and familial adenomatous polyposis sphincter-saving operations, diverticular disease, diverticulitis, familial inherited colorectal cancer, fecal incontinence, hereditary polyposis and nonpolyposis colorectal cancer, incontinence, intestinal fistulae, intestinal stomas, inflammatory bowel disease, pelvic floor surgery, pelvic pouch procedures for ulcerative colitis and familial polyposis, rectal cancer, Rectal Prolapse, rectum, rectal-sparing operations for carcinoma of the rectum, reoperative abdominal and pelvic surgery, reoperative surgery, Sphincter-preservation Surgery, sphincter-saving operations, sphincter-sparing procedures, stoma surgery, surgery for carcinoma of the colon and rectum reoperative abdominopelvic surgery, surgery for Crohn's Disease and ulcerative colitis, surgical nutrition, surgical treatment for mucosal ulcerative colitis
Awards & Honors
- Victor W. Fazio Endowed Chair in Colorectal Surgery
- Top Doctors in America, 1999-2008
- Top Surgeons in America, 2007
- Fellow, American Surgical Association
- Honorary Fellow, Royal College of Surgeons (Glasgow)
- Lifetime Achievement Award, Collaborative Group of the Americas, 2004, for Inherited Colorectal Cancer
- Distinguished Alumnus Award, University of Auckland, 2008
- American Society of Colorectal Surgery
- American College of Surgeons
- Royal Australasian College of Surgeons
- American College of Gastroenterology
- American Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy
Research & Publications
(Disclaimer: This search is powered by PubMed, a service of the U.S. National Library of Medicine. PubMed is a third-party website with no affiliation with Cleveland Clinic.)
Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists may collaborate with the pharmaceutical or medical device industries to help develop medical breakthroughs or provide medical expertise or education. Cleveland Clinic strives to make scientific advances that will benefit patient care and support outside relationships that promise public benefit. In order for the discoveries of Cleveland Clinic physicians' and scientists' laboratories and investigations to benefit the public, these discoveries must be commercialized in partnership with industry. As experts in their fields, Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists are often sought after by industry to consult, provide expertise and education.
To assure professional and commercial integrity in such matters, Cleveland Clinic maintains a program that reviews these collaborations and, when appropriate, puts measures in place to minimize bias that may result from ties to industry. Cleveland Clinic publicly discloses the names of companies when (i) its physicians/scientists receive $5,000 or more per year (or, in rare cases, equity or stock options) for speaking and consulting, (ii) its physicians/scientists serve as a fiduciary, (iii) its physicians/scientists receive or have the right to receive royalties or (iv) its physicians/ scientists hold any equity interest for the physician's/scientist's role as inventor, discoverer, developer, founder or consultant.* In publicly disclosing this information, Cleveland Clinic tries to provide information as accurately as possible about its physicians' and scientists' connections with industry.
As of 12/5/2016, Dr. Church has reported no financial relationship with industry that is applicable to this listing. In general, patients should feel free to contact their doctor about any of the relationships and how the relationships are overseen by Cleveland Clinic. To learn more about Cleveland Clinic's policies on collaborations with industry and innovation management, go to our Integrity in Innovation page.
Public Health Service-Reportable Financial Conflicts of Interest. Cleveland Clinic scientists and physicians engage in basic, translational and clinical research activities, working to solve health problems, enhance patient care and improve quality of life for patients. Interactions with industry are essential to bringing the researchers' discoveries to the public, but can present the potential for conflicts of interest related to their research activities. Click here to view a listing of instances where Cleveland Clinic has identified a Public Health Service (PHS)-Reportable Financial Conflict of Interest and has put measures in place to ensure that, to the extent possible, the design, conduct and reporting of the research is free from bias.
* Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists subscribe to the guidance presented in the PhRMA Code on Interactions with Healthcare Professionals and the AdvaMed Code of Ethics on Interactions with Health Care Professionals. As such, gifts of substantial value are generally prohibited.
170 Patient Satisfaction Reviews
The Patient Satisfaction Rating is an average of all responses to the care provider related questions shown below from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. Patients that are treated in outpatient or hospital environments may receive different surveys, and the volume of responses will vary by question.
Responses are measured on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the best score.
The comments are submitted by patients and reflect their views and opinions. The comments are not endorsed by and do not necessarily reflect the views of Cleveland Clinic.
|Courtesy, Respect & Concern||4.9|
|Knows Medical History||4.7|
|Time Spent with Patient||4.8|
|Patient Rating of Doctor||4.8|
13 Patient Comments
Reviewed on Mar 18, 2017
Surgeon & his associates frequently visited to check on surgical wound & overall well-being.
Reviewed on Mar 16, 2017
Reviewed on Mar 9, 2017
Dr. Church is an exceptional physician and an incredibly knowledgeable figure in his field. I feel as though I could not possibly do better in terms of a provider for the health issue that brought me to him.
Reviewed on Mar 7, 2017
Reviewed on Feb 14, 2017
very precise and clear directions
Reviewed on Dec 20, 2016
Staff all worked well as a team.
Reviewed on Dec 13, 2016
Everything has been good....
Reviewed on Dec 13, 2016
Reviewed on Nov 10, 2016
Dr. Church operated on me twice previously for a related condition and he is an Outstanding Dr and Surgeon, at least as far as my experience with him.
Reviewed on Nov 8, 2016
Dr. James Church is the BEST!
Reviewed on Aug 20, 2016
Really liked Dr. Church.
Reviewed on Jun 14, 2016
Dr, Church is an exceptionally fine physician. He puts the patient at ease, answers all questions, provides options for treatment, takes time to listen, and is obviously knowledgeable and skilled in his field. He has provided care for my mother, husband, and myself since 1999. I would not go to any other gastroenterologist. His manner with patients, coupled with his expertise make him an outstanding doctor.
Reviewed on Jun 14, 2016
Dr. Church listens to my concerns carefully and always provides me with confident and positive answers.
© 2017 The Cleveland Clinic Foundation. All Rights Reserved. No part of this work may be altered, reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted, in any form, by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, by photocopying, recording, or otherwise, without the prior written permission of the Cleveland Clinic.