Is Cleveland Clinic Part of Your Insurance?
Review a list of accepted insurance plans for our Northeast Ohio locations or learn more about purchasing a contracted managed care plan.View All Plans
Education & Professional Highlights
Education & Fellowships
Fellowship - Cleveland Clinic
Cleveland, OH USA
Residency - Naval Regional Medical Center
Oakland, CA USA
Fellowship - Cleveland Clinic
Cleveland, OH USA
Internship - South Pointe Hospital
Warrensville Heights, OH USA
Medical Education - Chicago College of Osteopathic Medicine
Downers Grove, IL USA
Undergraduate - University of Notre Dame
Notre Dame, IN USA
- Master in Public Health, Cleveland State University, 2004
- Chairman, Department of Cardiothoracic Anesthesiology, Anesthesiology Institute, Cleveland Clinic, 2008–present
- Department Head, Anesthesia, Naval Hospital Camp Lejeune, in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom, August 2005–March 2006
- Service in Support of Operation Desert Storm/Shield, Hotel Company, 1st Medical Battalion, 1st FSSG, Fleet Marine Force, United States Marine Corps, Saudi Arabia, August 1990-April 1991
- Anesthesiology - Critical Care Medicine
Postoperative care of cardiac and vascular surgery patients, sepsis, atrial fibrillation
Awards & Honors
- For Service in Operation Desert Shield/Storm: Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal, Sea Service Deployment Ribbon, Kuwait Liberation Ribbon, National Defense Medal, Fleet Marine Force Ribbon, April 1991
- Outstanding Clinical Instructor, Department of Anesthesiology, Naval Regional Medical Center, Oakland, California, June 1992
- Outstanding Clinical Teacher, Division of Anesthesiology & Critical Care Medicine, Cleveland Clinic, June 1993
- Bruce Hubbard Stewart Award for Humanistic Medicine
Division of Education, Cleveland Clinic, 1995-96
- Beta Gamma Sigma Invitation, Outstanding Academic Performance, MPH Program, Cleveland State University, April 2004
- For Service in Operation Iraqi Freedom: Navy & Marine Corps Achievement Medal, Global War on Terrorism Service Medal, March 2006
- American Society of Anesthesiologists
- Society of Cardiovascular Anesthesiologists
- Society of Critical Care Anesthesiologists
- Society of Critical Care Medicine
- American Osteopathic Association
- Ohio Society of Anesthesiologists
Research & Publications
(Disclaimer: This search is powered by PubMed, a service of the U.S. National Library of Medicine. PubMed is a third-party website with no affiliation with Cleveland Clinic.)
Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists may collaborate with the pharmaceutical or medical device industries to help develop medical breakthroughs or provide medical expertise or education. Cleveland Clinic strives to make scientific advances that will benefit patient care and support outside relationships that promise public benefit. In order for the discoveries of Cleveland Clinic physicians' and scientists' laboratories and investigations to benefit the public, these discoveries must be commercialized in partnership with industry. As experts in their fields, Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists are often sought after by industry to consult, provide expertise and education.
To assure professional and commercial integrity in such matters, Cleveland Clinic maintains a program that reviews these collaborations and, when appropriate, puts measures in place to minimize bias that may result from ties to industry. Cleveland Clinic publicly discloses the names of companies when (i) its physicians/scientists receive $5,000 or more per year (or, in rare cases, equity or stock options) for speaking and consulting, (ii) its physicians/scientists serve as a fiduciary, (iii) its physicians/scientists receive or have the right to receive royalties or (iv) its physicians/ scientists hold any equity interest for the physician's/scientist's role as inventor, discoverer, developer, founder or consultant.* In publicly disclosing this information, Cleveland Clinic tries to provide information as accurately as possible about its physicians' and scientists' connections with industry.
As of 7/6/2020, Dr. O'Connor has reported no financial relationship with industry that is applicable to this listing. In general, patients should feel free to contact their doctor about any of the relationships and how the relationships are overseen by Cleveland Clinic. To learn more about Cleveland Clinic's policies on collaborations with industry and innovation management, go to our Integrity in Innovation page.
Public Health Service-Reportable Financial Conflicts of Interest. Cleveland Clinic scientists and physicians engage in basic, translational and clinical research activities, working to solve health problems, enhance patient care and improve quality of life for patients. Interactions with industry are essential to bringing the researchers' discoveries to the public, but can present the potential for conflicts of interest related to their research activities. Click here to view a listing of instances where Cleveland Clinic has identified a Public Health Service (PHS)-Reportable Financial Conflict of Interest and has put measures in place to ensure that, to the extent possible, the design, conduct and reporting of the research is free from bias.
* Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists subscribe to the guidance presented in the PhRMA Code on Interactions with Healthcare Professionals and the AdvaMed Code of Ethics on Interactions with Health Care Professionals. As such, gifts of substantial value are generally prohibited.