Treatment & Services
- Argon Plasma Coagulation (APC)
- Gastrointestinal Exams
- Gi Endoscopy
- Hydrogen Breath Test
- Laparoscopic Surgery
- Percutaneous Endoscopic Gastrostomy (PEG)
- Pouch Center
Specialty in Diseases & Conditions
- Crohn's Disease
- Esophageal Varices
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD)
- Pouch Diseases
- Ulcerative Colitis
Is Cleveland Clinic Part of Your Insurance?
Review a list of accepted insurance plans for our Northeast Ohio locations or learn more about purchasing a contracted managed care plan.View All Plans
Education & Professional Highlights
Education & Fellowships
Fellowship - Cleveland Clinic
Cleveland, OH USA
Residency - University of Illinois Hospital at Urbana-Champaign
Urbana, IL USA
Medical School - Nan-tong Medical College
- Nantong Medical College, China, 1982
- Nantong Medical College Graduate School, 1987
- Nantong Medical College Hospital, Medical Residency, Chief Residency, 1984-1987
- University of Illinois College of Medicine at Urbana, Medical Residency, 1995-1998
- Cleveland Clinic, Gastroenterology Fellowship, Chief Fellowship, 1998-2001
- Premier Physician Award, CCFA Northeast Ohio Chapter
- Physician of the Year Award, Department of Gastroenterology, Cleveland Clinic
- NIH R03 Award for studying pouch disorders
- Broad Foundation-BMRP Grant
- ACG Career Development Award
Crohn's Disease, GI endoscopy and imaging technology, IBD including ulcerative colitis and crohn's, inflammatory bowel disease, Pouchitis and Pouch Diseases
Awards & Honors
- Graduated with honors, Nantong Medical College, China, 1982
- Graduated with honors from graduate school, Nantong Medical College, China, 1987
- Chinese Academy of Science Research Award, 1987
- Intern of the Year Award, University of Illinois College of Medicine at Urbana, 1996
- Secretary and Treasurer, House-Staff Association, University of Illinois at Urbana, 1996-1997
- American College of Gastroenterology Clinical Research Award, 2000
- American College of Gastroenterology/Astra-Zeneca Senior Fellow Award, New York, N.Y., 2000
- Multiple President Poster Awards, Annual ACG meetings, 2000-
- Multiple Best Poster Awards, DDW, 2000-
- American College of Gastroenterology/Astra-Zeneca Senior Fellow Award, Las Vegas, Nev., 2001
- American College of Gastroenterology/Centocor IBD Abstract Award, Las Vegas, Nev., 2001
- American College of Gastroenterology Junior Faculty Career Development Award, 2003
- American College of Gastroenterology Clinical Research Award, 2003
- REGAL Award for research excellence in gastroenterology and hepatology, Scottsdale, Ariz., 2003
- Cleveland Clinic Quest for Quality Award, 2004
- Fellow, American College of Gastroenterology, 2004
- Co-Chair, Research Forum-IBD, DDW, Chicago, Ill., 2005
- Outstanding Reviewer Award, American Journal of Gastroenterology, 2005
- Section editor, Journal of Inflammatory Bowel Disease, 2006-
Editorial board, Gastroenterology & Hepatology, 2006-
- Emerging Leaders in Gastroenterology, Sweden, 2007
- Premier Physician Award, Crohn’s & Colitis Foundation of America, Northeast Ohio Chapter, 2008
- Physician of the Year Award, Department of Gastroenterology/Hepatology/Nutrition, Cleveland Clinic, 2007
- American Gastroenterological Association
- American College of Gastroenterology
- American Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy
- Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America
Research & Publications
(Disclaimer: This search is powered by PubMed, a service of the U.S. National Library of Medicine. PubMed is a third-party website with no affiliation with Cleveland Clinic.)
Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists may collaborate with the pharmaceutical or medical device industries to help develop medical breakthroughs or provide medical expertise or education. Cleveland Clinic strives to make scientific advances that will benefit patient care and support outside relationships that promise public benefit. In order for the discoveries of Cleveland Clinic physicians' and scientists' laboratories and investigations to benefit the public, these discoveries must be commercialized in partnership with industry. As experts in their fields, Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists are often sought after by industry to consult, provide expertise and education.
To assure professional and commercial integrity in such matters, Cleveland Clinic maintains a program that reviews these collaborations and, when appropriate, puts measures in place to minimize bias that may result from ties to industry. Cleveland Clinic publicly discloses the names of companies when (i) its physicians/scientists receive $5,000 or more per year (or, in rare cases, equity or stock options) for speaking and consulting, (ii) its physicians/scientists serve as a fiduciary, (iii) its physicians/scientists receive or have the right to receive royalties or (iv) its physicians/ scientists hold any equity interest for the physician's/scientist's role as inventor, discoverer, developer, founder or consultant.* In publicly disclosing this information, Cleveland Clinic tries to provide information as accurately as possible about its physicians' and scientists' connections with industry.
As of 12/18/2017, Dr. Shen has reported the financial relationships with the companies listed below. In general, patients should feel free to contact their doctor about any of the relationships and how the relationships are overseen by Cleveland Clinic. To learn more about Cleveland Clinic's policies on collaborations with industry and innovation management, go to our Integrity in Innovation page.
Consulting and/or Speaking. Dr. Shen receives fees of $5,000 or more per year as a paid consultant, speaker or member of an advisory committee for the following companies:
- AbbVie, Inc.
Public Health Service-Reportable Financial Conflicts of Interest. Cleveland Clinic scientists and physicians engage in basic, translational and clinical research activities, working to solve health problems, enhance patient care and improve quality of life for patients. Interactions with industry are essential to bringing the researchers' discoveries to the public, but can present the potential for conflicts of interest related to their research activities. Click here to view a listing of instances where Cleveland Clinic has identified a Public Health Service (PHS)-Reportable Financial Conflict of Interest and has put measures in place to ensure that, to the extent possible, the design, conduct and reporting of the research is free from bias.
* Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists subscribe to the guidance presented in the PhRMA Code on Interactions with Healthcare Professionals and the AdvaMed Code of Ethics on Interactions with Health Care Professionals. As such, gifts of substantial value are generally prohibited.
295 Patient Satisfaction Reviews
The Patient Satisfaction Rating is an average of all responses to the care provider related questions shown below from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. Patients that are treated in outpatient or hospital environments may receive different surveys, and the volume of responses will vary by question.
Responses are measured on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the best score.
The comments are submitted by patients and reflect their views and opinions. The comments are not endorsed by and do not necessarily reflect the views of Cleveland Clinic.
|Courtesy, Respect & Concern||4.8|
|Knows Medical History||4.7|
|Time Spent with Patient||4.5|
|Patient Rating of Doctor||4.7|
21 Patient Comments
Reviewed on Jun 26, 2018
My former doctor left my hospital in Charleston, SC. Dr Shen is so in tune with his patients that I decided to come back to him. Now I will fly to my appointments,
Reviewed on Jun 8, 2018
Appointment was at 2:40. Did not get out until 5:40. Saw doctor for maybe 20 minutes.
Reviewed on May 29, 2018
Outstanding physician. He was kind, smart, and discussed my health issues thoroughly. He provided a plan of what to do and where to go next. I feel comfortable that we will find the root of my problem.
Reviewed on May 23, 2018
Reviewed on May 23, 2018
doc was pleased with my pouchoscopy and said see you in a year
Reviewed on May 15, 2018
almost an hour wait to be taken to an exam room and then another two hour wait to see the doctor.
Reviewed on May 4, 2018
Dr Bo Shen reviewed the surgical results with me after the surgery. I was dazed and forgot most of what he said. My family was not with me in recovery when he spoke and they wanted to speak with Dr Bo Shen about the results. My family spoke with the clinic receptionist and we were able to speak with Dr Bo Shen later the same day. This was a very good experience. I have completed 14 outpatient surgical procedures. Dr Bo Shen has been consistently professional, supportive and listens well.
Reviewed on Apr 27, 2018
I consider Dr Shen to be an outstanding physician and person. His care made a tremendous difference in my life for the better
Reviewed on Apr 24, 2018
I am forever grateful to Dr. Shen. He found an issue that has been on going for 8 years. He was referred by my local doctor so getting the appointment set up at first was a challenge however once Dr. Shen put me in touch with his nurse navigator things went extremely smoothly.
Reviewed on Apr 18, 2018
I love the care I receive at the Cleveland clinic. Dr. Bo Shen and his staff are very good to me.
Reviewed on Mar 2, 2018
Dr. Shen will give you treatment options and informs you of the pros and cons to them all so you can make an informed decision.
Reviewed on Feb 13, 2018
I have the utmost respect for Dr Shen. He always has a caring manner and shows extreme concern for his patients. The best Dr. I've ever been too.
Reviewed on Feb 2, 2018
Dr. Shen and Anne Feldman are both great. I come to Cleveland from Washington DC at a great cost, but they are the best and make a huge difference in my quality of life.
Reviewed on Jan 11, 2018
I traveled from AZ to see Dr. Shen for procedures as I was having problems. I contacted him via e-mail and he fit me into his very busy schedule for three procedures. He is the best physician I have ever seen! Many of your survey questions were N/A to my case, so I left them blank.
Reviewed on Dec 21, 2017
I always got complete instructions about follow up care
Reviewed on Nov 30, 2017
Dr Shen is a great listener and seemed to include me in the process
Reviewed on Nov 17, 2017
I felt rushed but thought I'd be seeing him again in a a few days.... Not months.
Reviewed on Oct 25, 2017
Dr. Shen is very caring. We trust him with my son's treatment and medical needs.
Reviewed on Oct 24, 2017
I had to call to speak with Anne (who was very friendly and helpful) to receive recommendations about my medications. although, there's only so much you can cover during a short phone conversation.
Reviewed on Aug 4, 2017
didn't even get a chance to talk to dr Shen after my scope. staff said he was unavailable
Reviewed on Aug 2, 2017
Always clear about follow up care.
© 2018 The Cleveland Clinic Foundation. All Rights Reserved. No part of this work may be altered, reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted, in any form, by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, by photocopying, recording, or otherwise, without the prior written permission of the Cleveland Clinic.