Treatment & Services
- Abdominal Perineal Resection
- Anorectal Fistula Treatment
- Anorectal Surgery
- Cancer Center
- Consultation for Complicated Colon and Rectal Disease
- Ileoanal Pouch
- Inherited Colon Cancer Risk Assessment
- J Pouch
- Laparoscopic Abdominal Perineal Resection
- Laparoscopic J-pouch Surgery
- Minimally Invasive Colorectal Surgery
- Pelvic Pouch Surgery for Ulcerative Colitis
- Rectal Cancer Surgery
- Rectal Ultrasound
- Re-Do Rectal Surgery
- Reoperative Abdominal Surgery
- Reoperative Pelvic Surgery
- Resection of Colon and Rectal Diseases
- Rubber Band Ligation Of Hemorrhoids
- Sphincter Sparing Surgery
- Surgery For Crohn's Disease
- Surgery for Fecal Incontinence
- Surgery for Pilonidal Cyst
- Surgery for Rectal Prolapse
- Surgery for Rectovaginal Fistula
Specialty in Diseases & Conditions
- Abdominal Abscess
- Abdominal Adhesions
- Abdominal Pain
- Anal Abscesses
- Anal Cancer
- Anal Dysplasia
- Anal Fissures
- Anal Fistula
- Anal Pain
- Bowel Incontinence
- Collagenous Colitis
- Colon Polyps
- Colorectal Cancer
- Crohn's Disease
- Enterocutaneious Fistula
- Familial Adenomatous Polyposis
- Female Incontinence
- Genital Warts
- Hereditary Non Polyposis Colorectal Cancer
- Hirschsprung's Disease
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD)
- Intestinal Ischemic Syndrome
- Juvenile Polyposis
- Large Intestine Cancer
- Perianal Ulcer
- Peutz- Jeghers Syndrome
- Pilonidal Cyst
- Proctitis - Care & Treatment
- Rectal Abscess
- Rectal Prolapse
- Rectal Vaginal Fistula
- Small Intestine Cancer
- Ulcerative Colitis
Is Cleveland Clinic Part of Your Insurance?
Review a list of accepted insurance plans for our Northeast Ohio locations or learn more about purchasing a contracted managed care plan.View All Plans
Education & Professional Highlights
Education & Fellowships
Fellowship - Northside Hospital
Colon and Rectal Surgery
Roswell, GA USA
Residency - Dwight David Eisenhower Army Medical Center
Fort Gordon, GA USA
Medical Education - UNiversity of Maryland School of Medicine
Baltimore, MD USA
Undergraduate - University of Maryland
College Park, MD USA
- B.S. Biology, Physiology and Neurobiology; University of Maryland at College Park; 1994
- M.D.- University of Maryland School of Medicine; 1999
- General Surgery Residency- Eisenhower Army Medical Center, graduated 2004
- Colorectal Surgery Fellowship; Georgia Colon and Rectal Surgical Clinic, graduated 2005
- Editorial Board: Diseases of the Colon and Rectum
- Editorial Board: Journal of Surgical Oncology
- Current Vice Chairman, ASCRS CREST Committee
- Program Chair: ASCRS Annual Scientific Meeting, Nashville, TN 2018
- Program Chair: NWSCRS Annual Meeting, Sunriver, OR 2014
- Board Examiner, American Board of Colon and Rectal Surgery
- ASCRS Self-Assessment Committee Member
- Dr. Johnson has given approximately 60 invited lectures
- Dr. Johnson has published 97 peer reviewed and invited manuscripts- including 18 book chapters and 3 national clinical practice guidelines
- General Surgery
- Colon and Rectal Surgery
Awards & Honors
- Alexandria S. Xenakis Award- given to the outstanding graduating resident across all GME programs at Eisenhower Army Medical Center- 2004
- Meritorious Service Medal- 10th Combat Support Hospital, Baghdad, Iraq, 2006
- Combat Medical Badge, 2nd Ranger Battalion, US Army, 2008
- Joint Service Commendation Medal, Joint Special Operations Command, US Army, 2009
- Bronze Star Award, Joint Special Operations Command, US Army, 2009
- BG Michael C. Dunn "press on energy" obelisk award, US Army 2013
- Order of Military Medical Merit, US Army, 2015
- "A" proficiency designator, US Army, 2015
- Legion of Merit Award, US Army, 2016
- American College of Surgeons
- American Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons
- Society of American Gastrointestinal Endoscopic Surgeons
- Northwest Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons
Research & Publications
(Disclaimer: This search is powered by PubMed, a service of the U.S. National Library of Medicine. PubMed is a third-party website with no affiliation with Cleveland Clinic.)
Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists may collaborate with the pharmaceutical or medical device industries to help develop medical breakthroughs or provide medical expertise or education. Cleveland Clinic strives to make scientific advances that will benefit patient care and support outside relationships that promise public benefit. In order for the discoveries of Cleveland Clinic physicians' and scientists' laboratories and investigations to benefit the public, these discoveries must be commercialized in partnership with industry. As experts in their fields, Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists are often sought after by industry to consult, provide expertise and education.
To assure professional and commercial integrity in such matters, Cleveland Clinic maintains a program that reviews these collaborations and, when appropriate, puts measures in place to minimize bias that may result from ties to industry. Cleveland Clinic publicly discloses the names of companies when (i) its physicians/scientists receive $5,000 or more per year (or, in rare cases, equity or stock options) for speaking and consulting, (ii) its physicians/scientists serve as a fiduciary, (iii) its physicians/scientists receive or have the right to receive royalties or (iv) its physicians/ scientists hold any equity interest for the physician's/scientist's role as inventor, discoverer, developer, founder or consultant.* In publicly disclosing this information, Cleveland Clinic tries to provide information as accurately as possible about its physicians' and scientists' connections with industry.
As of 11/12/2019, Dr. Johnson has reported no financial relationship with industry that is applicable to this listing. In general, patients should feel free to contact their doctor about any of the relationships and how the relationships are overseen by Cleveland Clinic. To learn more about Cleveland Clinic's policies on collaborations with industry and innovation management, go to our Integrity in Innovation page.
Public Health Service-Reportable Financial Conflicts of Interest. Cleveland Clinic scientists and physicians engage in basic, translational and clinical research activities, working to solve health problems, enhance patient care and improve quality of life for patients. Interactions with industry are essential to bringing the researchers' discoveries to the public, but can present the potential for conflicts of interest related to their research activities. Click here to view a listing of instances where Cleveland Clinic has identified a Public Health Service (PHS)-Reportable Financial Conflict of Interest and has put measures in place to ensure that, to the extent possible, the design, conduct and reporting of the research is free from bias.
* Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists subscribe to the guidance presented in the PhRMA Code on Interactions with Healthcare Professionals and the AdvaMed Code of Ethics on Interactions with Health Care Professionals. As such, gifts of substantial value are generally prohibited.
83 Patient Satisfaction Reviews
The Patient Satisfaction Rating is an average of all responses to the care provider related questions shown below from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. Patients that are treated in outpatient or hospital environments may receive different surveys, and the volume of responses will vary by question.
Responses are measured on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the best score.
The comments are submitted by patients and reflect their views and opinions. The comments are not endorsed by and do not necessarily reflect the views of Cleveland Clinic.
|Courtesy, Respect & Concern||4.8|
|Patient Rating of Doctor||4.7|
14 Patient Comments
Reviewed on Dec 12, 2019
Dr. Eric K. Johnson did a stellar job with my condition. Promptly addressed my issue and I am very grateful and appreciative. I would recommend him to any family member or friend.
Reviewed on Dec 10, 2019
pleasure meeting Doctor Johnson. he made me feel comfortable, and explained everything in a manner that was easy to understand.
Reviewed on Dec 5, 2019
I felt that Dr Johnson was very informative and he spent time with me at the hospital after the surgery. I appreciate that he took the time to talk to me and not rush me through my questions.
Reviewed on Nov 14, 2019
this doctor seemed agitated by my questions about my condition. he got flustered and forgot what he was saying and blamed me for interrupting him. he was very quick to suggest I need a colonoscopy...and said he's only available ONE day a week in twinsburg...a d tried to get his nurse to force an appt on me without asking my availability. I dont want to use this doctor.. I scheduled for another Cleveland clinic elsewhere for my procedure.
Reviewed on Oct 31, 2019
Dr Johnson was straight to the point, efficient, yet very kind and understanding. Really appreciated his no nonsense approach. If only the ER had recommended a general surgeon 5 months ago, my issue would have resolved by now! Just grateful that surgery has been scheduled.
Reviewed on Oct 17, 2019
Reviewed on Sep 19, 2019
Excellent doctor. Easy to talk to about uncomfortable topics.
Reviewed on Sep 17, 2019
Dr. Johnson answered our questions in detail. He is very patient and kind and very reassuring! I know I'm in very capable hands.
Reviewed on Sep 5, 2019
Dr. Johnson was amazing at listening and explaining my nexts steps. I came to him after complications from a prior surgery. He is very knowledgeable about my condition.
Reviewed on Aug 1, 2019
very pleased with Dr. Johnson....very please with all elements of my care
Reviewed on May 9, 2019
Dr Johnson was very professional and informative, and answered all of my questions. I left that post op appointment with a complete understanding of my case, and my treatment plan going forward. Dr Johnson told me to get in touch if I had any additional questions, so I did so on My Chart, and received a quick response. I received excellent care.
Reviewed on Apr 25, 2019
Dr. Johnson was patient and understanding in listening to worries and answering questions.
Reviewed on Apr 16, 2019
The dr took his time with me. He was in no hurry.
Reviewed on Jan 10, 2019
dr Johnson is amazing. great addition to the Clinic
© 2020 The Cleveland Clinic Foundation. All Rights Reserved. No part of this work may be altered, reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted, in any form, by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, by photocopying, recording, or otherwise, without the prior written permission of the Cleveland Clinic.