Treatment & Services
- Abdominal Perineal Resection
- Abdominal Surgery
- Advanced Laparoscopic Surgery
- Advanced Operative Laparoscopy
- Anorectal Fistula Treatment
- Cancer Center
- Colon And Rectal Surgical Procedures
- Colon Surgery
- Colorectal Cancer - Prevention
- Colorectal Cancer Diagnosis
- Colorectal Cancer Research
- Colorectal Cancer Screening Strategies
- Colorectal Cancer Treatment
- Colorectal Surgery
- Consultation for Complicated Colon and Rectal Disease
- Fecal Diversion
- Flexible Sigmoidoscopy
- Heated Chemotherapy (HIPEC)
- Ileoanal Pouch
- Inherited Colon Cancer Risk Assessment
- Intestinal Stomas
- J Pouch
- Laparoscopic Abdominal Perineal Resection
- Laparoscopic Colectomy
- Laparoscopic Colon Resection
- Laparoscopic Colon Surgery
- Laparoscopic Colorectal Surgery
- Laparoscopic Fecal Diversion
- Laparoscopic Ileocolectomy
- Laparoscopic J-pouch Surgery
- Laparoscopic Proctosigmoidectomy
- Laparoscopic Surgery
- Laparoscopic Surgery for Digestive Diseases
- Lesbian Gay Bisexual and Transgender( LGBT Health)
- Minimally Invasive Colorectal Surgery
- Pediatric Total Abdominal Colectomy
- Pelvic Pouch Surgery for Ulcerative Colitis
- Postpartum Hemorrhage Surgery
- Push Enteroscopy
- Rectal Cancer Surgery
- Rectal Ultrasound
- Rectum Reoperative Abdominopelvic Surgery
- Re-Do Rectal Surgery
- Reoperative Abdominal and Pelvic Surgery
- Reoperative Abdominal Surgery
- Reoperative Pelvic Surgery
- Reoperative Surgery
- Resection of Colon and Rectal Diseases
- Rigid Sigmoidoscopy
- Rubber Band Ligation Of Hemorrhoids
- Second Opinion
- Sphincter Sparing Surgery
- Stoma Surgery
- Surgery For Carcinoma Of The Colon
- Surgery For Crohn's Disease
- Surgery for Crohn's Disease and Ulcerative Colitis
- Surgery for Fecal Incontinence
- Surgery for Pilonidal Cyst
- Surgery for Rectal Prolapse
- Surgery for Rectovaginal Fistula
- Surgical Management for Ulcerative Colitis
- Surgical Treatment for Mucosal Ulcerative Colitis
- Total Abdominal Colectomy
- Transanal Endoscopic Microsurgery (TEM)
- Treatment for Anal Fissure
- Treatment for Anal Fistula
Specialty in Diseases & Conditions
- Abdominal Abscess
- Abdominal Pain
- Adenomatous Polyps
- Anal Abscesses
- Anal Cancer
- Anal Fissures
- Anal Fistula
- Anal Itching
- Anal Pain
- Anorectal Disease
- Anorectal Fistula
- Benign Anorectal Disease
- Cancer of the Colon, Rectum and Anus
- Carcinoma of the Colon
- Carcinoma of the small and large bowel
- Collagenous Colitis
- Colon Cancer
- Colon Diseases
- Colon Polyps
- Colonic Neoplasia
- Colorectal Cancer
- Colovaginal Fistula
- Colovesticle Fistula
- Crohn's Disease
- Enterocutaneious Fistula
- Familial Adenomatous Polyposis
- Female Incontinence
- Functional Disorders
- Genital Warts
- Hereditary Non Polyposis Colorectal Cancer
- Hirschsprung's Disease
- Inflammatory Bowel Disease (IBD)
- Intestinal Fistula
- Intestinal Fistulae
- Intestinal Ischemic Syndrome
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
- Juvenile Polyposis
- Large Bowel Cancer
- Large Intestine Cancer
- Metastatic Cancer
- Necrotizing Fasciitis
- Pelvic Disorders
- Perianal Ulcer
- Peritoneal Carcinomatosis
- Peritoneal Mesothelioma
- Peutz- Jeghers Syndrome
- Pilonidal Cyst
- Proctitis - Care & Treatment
- Rectal Abscess
- Rectal Prolapse
- Rectal Vaginal Fistula
- Small Bowel Cancer
- Small Intestine Cancer
- Stoma Related Problems
- Ulcerative Colitis
Is Cleveland Clinic Part of Your Insurance?
Review a list of accepted insurance plans for our Northeast Ohio locations or learn more about purchasing a contracted managed care plan.View All Plans
Education & Professional Highlights
Education & Fellowships
Fellowship - Grant Medical Center
Colon & Rectal Surgery
Columbus, OH USA
Residency - Akron City Hospital
Akron, OH USA
Medical Education - Ohio University College of Osteopathic Medicine
Athens, OH USA
Undergraduate - Gannon University
Erie, PA USA
- Fellow, American Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons
- Fellow, American College of Surgeons
- Surgery - General Surgery
- Colon and Rectal Surgery
Cancer and Polyps of the Colon, Rectum and Anus, Laparoscopic and Minimally Colon and Rectal Surgery, Complex Anorectal Diseases, Colonoscopy, Crohn's Disease, Ulcerative Colitis, Sphincter-Saving Operations, Diverticular Disease, Intestinal Stomas, Inflammatory Bowel Disease Surgery
Awards & Honors
- Distinguished Teacher of the Year, Colorectal Surgery, 2014-2015
- Doctor of Distinction - Cleveland Clinic Medina Hospital
- American College of Surgeons
- American Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons
- Society of American Gastrointestinal and Endoscopic Surgeons
- Society for Surgery of the Alimentary Tract
- Cleveland Surgical Society
- Ohio Valley Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons
- Collaborative Group of the Americas on Inherited Colorectal Cancer
Research & Publications
(Disclaimer: This search is powered by PubMed, a service of the U.S. National Library of Medicine. PubMed is a third-party website with no affiliation with Cleveland Clinic.)
Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists may collaborate with the pharmaceutical or medical device industries to help develop medical breakthroughs or provide medical expertise or education. Cleveland Clinic strives to make scientific advances that will benefit patient care and support outside relationships that promise public benefit. In order for the discoveries of Cleveland Clinic physicians' and scientists' laboratories and investigations to benefit the public, these discoveries must be commercialized in partnership with industry. As experts in their fields, Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists are often sought after by industry to consult, provide expertise and education.
To assure professional and commercial integrity in such matters, Cleveland Clinic maintains a program that reviews these collaborations and, when appropriate, puts measures in place to minimize bias that may result from ties to industry. Cleveland Clinic publicly discloses the names of companies when (i) its physicians/scientists receive $5,000 or more per year (or, in rare cases, equity or stock options) for speaking and consulting, (ii) its physicians/scientists serve as a fiduciary, (iii) its physicians/scientists receive or have the right to receive royalties or (iv) its physicians/ scientists hold any equity interest for the physician's/scientist's role as inventor, discoverer, developer, founder or consultant.* In publicly disclosing this information, Cleveland Clinic tries to provide information as accurately as possible about its physicians' and scientists' connections with industry.
As of 11/15/2020, Dr. Valente has reported no financial relationship with industry that is applicable to this listing. In general, patients should feel free to contact their doctor about any of the relationships and how the relationships are overseen by Cleveland Clinic. To learn more about Cleveland Clinic's policies on collaborations with industry and innovation management, go to our Integrity in Innovation page.
Public Health Service-Reportable Financial Conflicts of Interest. Cleveland Clinic scientists and physicians engage in basic, translational and clinical research activities, working to solve health problems, enhance patient care and improve quality of life for patients. Interactions with industry are essential to bringing the researchers' discoveries to the public, but can present the potential for conflicts of interest related to their research activities. Click here to view a listing of instances where Cleveland Clinic has identified a Public Health Service (PHS)-Reportable Financial Conflict of Interest and has put measures in place to ensure that, to the extent possible, the design, conduct and reporting of the research is free from bias.
* Cleveland Clinic physicians and scientists subscribe to the guidance presented in the PhRMA Code on Interactions with Healthcare Professionals and the AdvaMed Code of Ethics on Interactions with Health Care Professionals. As such, gifts of substantial value are generally prohibited.
145 Patient Satisfaction Reviews
The Patient Satisfaction Rating is an average of all responses to the care provider related questions shown below from our nationally-recognized Press Ganey Patient Satisfaction Survey. Patients that are treated in outpatient or hospital environments may receive different surveys, and the volume of responses will vary by question.
Responses are measured on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the best score.
The comments are submitted by patients and reflect their views and opinions. The comments are not endorsed by and do not necessarily reflect the views of Cleveland Clinic.
|Courtesy, Respect & Concern||4.9|
|Patient Rating of Doctor||5|
22 Patient Comments
Reviewed on May 24, 2021
I am so pleased with Dr Valenti ! I can't say enough positives about my care from initial visit to surgery to recovery and to follow up. I felt calm and assured in his care.
Reviewed on May 24, 2021
Dr Valente took as much time as was needed to discuss & answer my questions. His explanations were detailed & gave much information. Actually, it is because of the extensive surgery Dr Valente performed on me (along with many prayers from family & friends) that I am alive today and high functioning.
Reviewed on May 21, 2021
When I left Dr. V.'s office I understood my condition much better and understood the trearment that I had to have to help me try to beat the cancer that I have.
Reviewed on Apr 26, 2021
Dr Valente is extraordinary and has exactly the right combination of professionalism and empathy, conveying great confidence and building trust.
Reviewed on Feb 5, 2021
All of the doctors, nurses, and support staff were knowledgeable, professional, and nice.
Reviewed on Feb 1, 2021
my doctor was amazing - I drove from Pittsburgh for a second opinion it I will be switching my care to dr valente
Reviewed on Jan 29, 2021
great dr patient experience listened and was able to ask questions great back and forth I felt I was able to be a proper advocate in my care as well as I felt I was in good hands with someone who actually listened
Reviewed on Jan 18, 2021
Dr. Valente is always pleasant and informing about my conditions. He is thorough in providing information while addressing my concerns.
Reviewed on Jan 11, 2021
Dr Valente has excellent bedside manner which is huge fir myself and husband, very personable just love him
Reviewed on Dec 28, 2020
I feel Dr. Valante truly has his patients best interests considering the "whole " person.
Reviewed on Dec 14, 2020
I got so lucky having Valente as my doctor. He is also married to my high school classmate which I thought was fun. He's a nice guy. Very thorough.
Reviewed on Dec 14, 2020
I can not explain how compassionate the doctor and staff were. I was not nervous or scared in any way.
Reviewed on Nov 16, 2020
Dr Valente took whatever time was needed to go over the results of my CT Scan. Answered all of my questions as well as those of my husband. Explanations were complete I never feel Dr Valente is rushing me through. He is very thorough and cordial. The appointment was a pleasure because of him.
Reviewed on Aug 5, 2020
*Dr. Valente and *Dr. Campbell are my heroes. Best surgeons!!
Reviewed on Jul 31, 2020
Dr. Valente was excellent in every way.
Reviewed on Jul 27, 2020
Dr. Valente and the nurses who contacted me were both excellent in regards to scheduling and listening to my concerns. always an absolute pleasure!
Reviewed on Jul 27, 2020
Dr. Valente is extremely personable and demonstrates great patient care, as always!
Reviewed on Jul 13, 2020
The Clinic contacted me at the request of my dr. I received an appointment very quickly. Everyone was extremely nice and helpful.
Reviewed on Jun 29, 2020
I was impressed how well meeting went. Wasn't sure about a zoom meeting for a doctor appointment but it worked out greatand I didn't have to drive2 hours
Reviewed on Jun 29, 2020
This was the first time I met with Dr. Valente and I felt comfortable asking him questions. He was honest and very kind.
Reviewed on Jun 29, 2020
*Dr. Michael Valente is a very well-mannered dr. who came so much about his patients.
Reviewed on Jun 1, 2020
i enjoy talking to doctor Valente he let me know how my exrays look and they are good i feel i can trust him i believe in him I would like to thank Doctor Valente for accepting me in a short notice with out a hesitant that's why i always come back to Cleveland clinic because i know i will be taking care of i really do appreciate everything y'all do for me THANK Y'ALL GOD BLESS
© 2021 The Cleveland Clinic Foundation. All Rights Reserved. No part of this work may be altered, reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or transmitted, in any form, by any means, whether electronic, mechanical, by photocopying, recording, or otherwise, without the prior written permission of the Cleveland Clinic.