Welcome to the Head and Neck Institute Acting Internship Rotation
On behalf of the Institute, I would like to thank you for your interest in our department. Whether you are considering an Otolaryngology residency, or are just looking to learn more about Head and Neck diseases, we hope that you will have a productive and enjoyable time with us.
The goals of your rotation are as follows:
- Become proficient in the head and neck physical examination.
- Understand basic head and neck anatomy and physiology.
- Gain exposure to Otolaryngology surgical procedures.
- Gain exposure to medical Otolaryngology in the clinic.
In order to help you achieve these goals, we expect:
- Prompt attendance at morning conferences.
- Completion of the assigned reading list.
- Participation in the clinic, first by shadowing, and when deemed appropriate, seeing and presenting uncomplicated patients to the resident or staff.
- Participation in the operating room, including preoperative preparation by reading the patient’s chart and basics about the procedure.
- Following patients on the floor as deemed appropriate by the supervising resident.
- Presentation of an Otolaryngology topic of your choice at a morning conference.
- Mid and end of rotation feedback sessions with an Otolaryngology Staff member.
- Compliance with the ACGME duty hour requirements. Call is optional and will be at the discretion of the chief resident.
For more information please refer to the list of Main Campus Otolaryngology faculty, rotation schedule and reading list below. If you have any questions during the rotation, please feel free to contact either Cristina Cabrera-Muffly, MD or Anne Monreal, Education Coordinator.
List of Main Campus Otolaryngology Staff:
Facial Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery
General Otolaryngology - Main Campus
Head and Neck Surgery and Oncology
Rhinology and Sinonasal Disease
Otology and Neurotology
Vestibular and Balance Disorders
- Head and Neck Oncology — 1 week
- Pediatric Otolaryngology — 1 week
- Facial Plastic Surgery and Rhinology — 1 week
- Otology, Laryngology, and General Otolaryngology —1 week
Head and Neck Surgery - Otolaryngology by: Byron J. Bailey
Available at Books@Ovid through the Library
- Ch. 1:Surgical Anatomy of the Head and Neck
- Ch. 22:Sinonasal Anatomy, Function, and Evaluation
- Ch. 37: Anatomy and Physiology of the Salivary Glands
- Ch. 48: Upper Digestive Tract Anatomy and Physiology
- Ch. 49: Upper Airway Anatomy and Function
- Ch. 56: Tracheotomy and Intubation
- Ch. 58: Voice: Anatomy, Physiology, and Clinical Evaluation
- Ch. 74: Pediatric Otolaryngology
- Ch. 116: Diagnosis and Treatment of Thyroid and Parathyroid Disorders
- Ch. 129: Anatomy and Physiology of Hearing
This book is also an excellent reference when preparing for cases or for self-directed independent reading.
Schedule an Appointment Online
Call us for an Appointment
To find a head and neck specialist for your needs, contact the Head & Neck Institute at 216.444.8500 (or toll-free 1.800.223.2273, ext. 48500)