Melissa Smith, PharmD, BCCCP
Clinical Specialist Critical Care
Clinical Specialist at Hillcrest since: 2010
Education and Certifications
- Board-Certified Critical Care Pharmacist, May 2017 - present
- Critical Care Specialty Residency 2010, Mercy St. Vincent Medical Center, Toledo, Ohio
- Board-Certified Pharmacotherapy Specialist, October 2009-2016
- Pharmacy Practice Residency 2009, Hillcrest Hospital, Mayfield Heights, Ohio
- Doctor of Pharmacy 2008, Ohio Northern University, Ada, OH
Areas of interest:
- Infectious diseases in the intensive care unit
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Medication safety
Current Projects and Committees
- ABCDEF Bundle Optimization Project, A/C Work Group Leader
- COVID-19 Critical Care Committee for standards of practice and order sets
- Residency Program Director, PGY-2 Critical Care Pharmacy Residency
- Management of the Spontaneous Awakening Trial and Spontaneous Breathing Trial Protocol implementation in the medical/surgical intensive care unit
- Sepsis Core Measure Fall-Out review and analysis
- Clinical rounding in the Medical/Surgical Intensive Care Units
- Clinical rounding with the Trauma/Acute Surgical Care team
- PGY-1 Residency Advisory Committee: Research Subcommittee
- Member of CCHS ICU Pharmacy Operations Committee
- Member of Hillcrest Hospital Pharmacy and Therapeutic Committee
- Member of ICU Performance Improvement Committee
- Member of the Critical Response and Resuscitation sub-committee
- Preceptor for PGY-1 and PGY-2 critical care residents at Hillcrest Hospital
- Preceptor for Doctor of Pharmacy students
- Provider of local continuing education for nurses, pharmacists and physicians
Honors and Awards
- Ohio Society of Health System Pharmacists (OSHP) Preceptor of the Year Award, May 2020.
- Sepsis Team Award, Cleveland Clinic Hillcrest Hospital Nursing Excellence Award, March 2020.
- Outstanding Clinical Support Award, Cleveland Clinic Hillcrest Hospital Nursing Excellence Awards, May 2019.
- Cleveland Clinic Hillcrest Hospital Patient Safety Champion, April 2018.
- Cleveland Clinic Pharmacy Residency Program Regional Preceptor of the Year, June 2015.
- Appreciation Award for Teamwork, Leadership Council, Hillcrest Hospital, March 2014.
- Employee of the Month, Hillcrest Hospital Dept of Pharmacy, February 2012.
- 10th Annual Mercy Health Partners Research Symposium Excellence Award for Poster Presentation, May 2010.
- Ohio College of Clinical Pharmacy Fall Research Meeting Presentation Award, Oct 2008.
- Temple ME, Smith M. The Critical Care Obstetric Patient. In: Alderman E, eds. Critical Care Self-Assessment Program, 2021 Book 2, Module 3. Acute Organ Dysfunction and Special Populations. Lenexa, KS: American College of Clinical Pharmacy, 2021:1-50.
- Hogue AN, Temple ME, Raich M, Worley S, Schwersenski J, Floyd R, Saker F. Effects of in-utero exposure to selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors and venlafaxine on term and preterm infants. JNPM. December 2017; 10(4).
- Temple ME, Lagzdins ML. Streamlining the residency interview process using web-based teleconferencing. Am. J. Health Syst. Pharm. 2014;71:697-701.
- Huebner M, Temple-Cooper M, Lagzdins M, Yeh J. A pilot study evaluating the effect of daily education by a pharmacist on medication related HCAHPS scores and medication reconciliation. J Biosafety Health Educ. 2013;1:1-6.
- Antiretroviral Medications. Melissa M. Lagzdins, Pharm.D., BCPS. Chapter contribution for Antimicrobianos: uso terapeutico en infectologia clinica by Luis Jauregui, Jr., M.D. 2013.
- Hulisz D, Lagzdins M. Drug induced hypertension. U.S. Pharmacists. 2008;33(9):1-6.
- A retrospective review on adherence to a vasoactive medication algorithm with vasopressin use in a community hospital. With Benjamin Newell, PharmD, BCPS. American Society of Health System Pharmacists Midyear Meeting, December 2020.
- Efficacy and safety of anticoagulation reversal agents in surgical and trauma patients without intracranial hemorrhage. With Amber Ooley, PharmD, BCPS, BCCCP. American Society of Health System Pharmacists Midyear Meeting, December 2019.
- Safety and efficacy of dexmedetomidine in non-intubated patients. With Donna Kim, PharmD, and Kelsey Fink, PharmD, BCPS, BCPP. American Society of Health System Pharmacists Midyear Meeting, December 2019.
- ST segment elevation myocardial infarction following administration of tissue plasminogen activator for acute stroke. With Frank Rigelsky, PharmD, BCPS; Matthew Nagar, PharmD, BCPS; Julia Kuroski, PharmD, BCCCP. American Society of Health System Pharmacists Midyear Meeting, December 2017.
- Rebound elevation of international normalized ratio forty-eight hours after administration of four-factor prothrombin complex concentrate. With Frank Rigelsky, PharmD, BCPS. American Society of Health System Pharmacists Midyear Meeting, December 2016.
- Medication use evaluation of activated prothrombin complex concentrate. With Kimberly Augustyn, PharmD and Frank Rigelsky, PharmD, BCPS. American Society of Health System Pharmacists Midyear Meeting, December 2015.
- Does dexmedetomidine use decrease benzodiazepine requirements in patients undergoing alcohol withdrawal? With Kristen Funelli, PharmD. Ohio College of Clinical Pharmacy Spring Pharmacotherapy Update, May 2015; and American Society of Health System Pharmacists Midyear Meeting, December 2014.
- Coronavirus-19 Response and Management in a 500-bed Community Hospital, with Nathan Wirick, PharmD, BCPS, BCIDP, Cleveland Society of Health System Pharmacists, February 2021.
- Moderator, Ohio Chapter of the Society of Critical Care Medicine’s Inaugural Virtual Journal Club, WebEx Meeting, Ohio, August 2020.
- A Review of the 2018 PADIS Guidelines: Ohio College of Clinical Pharmacists, Columbus, OH; June 2019.
- Cost Savings and Quality Initiatives in Hillcrest Hospital ICU: Intensive Care Unit Operations Leadership Committee, Cleveland Clinic, September 2018.
- Cost Savings and Quality Initiatives in Hillcrest Hospital ICU: Intensive Care Unit Operations Leadership Committee, Cleveland Clinic, September 2017.
- Management of the Unknown Overdose: Cleveland Society of Health System Pharmacists, Cleveland, OH; September 2017.
- Vasopressors Bootcamp. Education Presentation: Critical Care Registered Nurses, Hillcrest Hospital Intensive Care Unit, March and April 2016.
- Diabetic Ketoacidosis and Hyperosmolar Non-Ketosis Crisis. With Jean-Louis Dupiton, MD, and Kathleen Kennedy, CCNS. Education presentation: Critical care Registered Nurses, Monthly Educational Lectures, Hillcrest Hospital Intensive Care Unit, September 2015.
- Sedation and Pain Management. With Jean-Louis Dupiton, MD, and Kathleen Kennedy, CCNS. Education presentation: Critical care Registered Nurses, Monthly Educational Lectures, Hillcrest Hospital Intensive Care Unit, January and May 2015.