Ohio hospitals postpone nonessential outpatient and inpatient surgeries through Jan. 30
We continue to experience rising COVID-19 cases, high inpatient capacity and staffing challenges. For these reasons, we have decided to extend the postponement of scheduled nonessential surgeries requiring a hospital bed, as well as all nonessential outpatient/ambulatory surgeries, at Ohio hospitals from Monday, Jan. 17, through Sunday, Jan. 30, 2022. At this time, this postponement does not include our ambulatory surgery centers (ASCs) or ambulatory endoscopy centers (AECs).
We will consistently monitor volumes at the local level and reactivate sooner if possible.
- This does not apply to urgent or emergent surgeries, or those in need of surgery for cancer or transplant. Essential, urgent or emergent surgeries, or those in need of surgery for cancer or transplant requiring a hospital or ICU bed should not be deferred and will continue to be scheduled.
- OR space created from cases postponed during this period of time will not be replaced with elective, nonessential (tier 3) cases requiring an admission or overnight stay. Emergency, urgent and essential cases will still be added to the schedule.
- At this time, outpatient nonessential surgeries can continue to be scheduled at our ASCs and AECs. However, local leadership may determine that additional limitations are appropriate, and will communicate those decisions with the medical staff.
- We are continuing adjustments to unfilled OR time at Ohio hospitals by holding scheduling of additional nonessential cases until Monday, Jan. 31, 2022.
- Florida regional hospitals have postponed nonessential surgeries requiring a hospital bed through Friday, Jan. 21.
As always, patient and caregiver safety is our priority when making these difficult decisions. We will reschedule patients as soon as possible. If a patient cannot be rescheduled in Q1 2022, please place postponed patients on the surgical schedule on July 24, 2022. This is not a firm date, and will be used for tracking and reactivation purposes.
Thank you for your continued flexibility. We will keep you updated, and we hope to reactivate as soon as we can.