Ohio hospitals to allow one visitor per day starting Dec. 7
We know how much patients want to see their loved ones — particularly during the holiday season. While we continue to manage high numbers of patients in our facilities, we have protocols in place that allow us to safely increase visitation to patients in our hospitals.
Starting Dec. 7, Cleveland Clinic locations in Ohio will modify their red level visitation guidelines. Changes include:
- One visitor (age 18+) per day will be allowed for patients in the Emergency Department.
- One visitor (age 18+) per day will be allowed for inpatients who are either COVID-19 positive or negative. The visitor may be different each day. Inpatients will no longer designate one person to visit them throughout their entire hospital stay.
- Visitors to inpatients can only enter the building once each day. Visitors cannot leave the building and then return for a separate visit later that same day. A different visitor can only replace them the following day.
- Visitors who have tested positive for COVID-19 are permitted to visit a patient if it has been at least 10 days since testing positive.
- If a visitor has been exposed to someone who tested positive for COVID-19:
- If they are not fully vaccinated, they can visit a patient 14 days after exposure.
- If they are vaccinated and asymptomatic, they can visit a patient with proof of vaccination.
The updated red level visitation guidelines flyer for Ohio locations will be posted in the COVID-19 toolkit on Dec. 7.
- Visitors to patients with COVID-19 must follow these donning and doffing instructions.
- Visitors must keep their masks on while inside a patient’s room, whether or not the visitor is vaccinated and whether or not the patient is COVID-19 positive.
- If visitors do not follow Cleveland Clinic masking guidelines, caregivers can ask them to leave the facility and restrict their visitation privileges. For support, contact Ombudsman at 216.444.2544 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Care teams can evaluate whether to offer compassionate exceptions whenever appropriate, including for patients with COVID-19. Nurse managers must approve all compassionate exceptions.
- Visitation guidelines in Florida remain the same at this time.
Thank you for your continued support of our patients and their families.