What are the potential risks and complications?
The risk of complications is very low, however, potential risks might include:
- Common bile duct injury.
- Minor shoulder pain (from the carbon dioxide gas).
- Bile leakage.
What are the benefits of laparoscopic cholecystectomy?
- Less discomfort than regular surgery.
- Shorter hospital stay, with a quicker recovery time compared to regular (open) surgery.
- Smaller scars than regular surgery.
Call your doctor if you experience:
- Increasing pain and redness at an incision (cut) site.
- Fever higher than 101 degrees.
- Draining at the incision site that increases or becomes foul smelling.